• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A clarification please...

pendragonman

Absent Friends Margrave
It is said elsewhere that Mongoose will release a "basic" set of rules and T5 will be the "advanced". I would like a more clear definition of those terms please.

Does "basic" imply (using Classic as a measuring rod) the simplicity of LBBs 0-3, and advanced LBBs 4-8? Or do those terms mean something all together different?

It is said elsewhere that Mongoose will release a "basic" set of rules and T5 will be the "advanced". I would like a more clear definition of those terms please.

Does "basic" imply (using Classic as a measuring rod) the simplicity of LBBs 0-3, and advanced LBBs 4-8? Or do those terms mean something all together different?

I honestly don't think that they are at the point where they could answer that question, since they only assigned an author to this within the last few days. I'm sure more information will come out as we get closer, but for now, I think of the words from the announcements more as guidelines than a representation of the final product, at least in regards to Basic MongTrav.

Wish I could offer more,
Flynn

I read it as characters, equipment, etc. was compatible between the two systems. Mongoose Trav will be basically CT with perhaps a few additions, whereas T5 will be an extensively expanded system based on CT.

The data points we know:

1) The Guys at Mongoose have been playing Traveller (edition not specified)
2) They said it would be based on CT
Mongoose' Press Release said:
It is our aim to halt the fragmentation of the Traveller game, and reintroduce one solid system (based on Classic Traveller), with one source for the official Traveller universe.
3) They simplified d20 not once, not twice, but SEVERAL times (B5, Conan, SST, Judge Dredd)
4) They can do starship combat playably. (B5 RPG, B5 minis game)
5) They like minis wargames
6) They have had quality control issues of every stripe.

So we can PROBABLY expect that:
They are unlikely to go all gear-head on us.
They are likely to do a striker III
We can expect clean, simple rules. (possibly with major errata issues)
MoTrav is likely to be a new development from CT

I just got a message from Marc that I would be involved in the Striker Project.

I have one contact at Mongoose that I got while at Historicon... I am going to try and see if I can get any more info from him over the next year.

If their version of Traveller is going to be based upon CT, then I would hope that their version of Striker would be based upon CT-Striker. The skirmish game could probably be based (somewhat) upon BFE, but loosing the comand/control system of Striker would be a huige mistake (IMO), while the original writing of the game was fairly hard to understand, it is actually quite simple in its actual execution.

I have, for the last three years, been working on a revision of CT-Stiker, and have managed to produce something where the concepts are much more easily understood (It is not organized nearly so dry and "Manual" like as the original, and if I could find myself an illustrator who was decent, it would be pretty easy to add illustrations to make the rules even clearer)

Back