• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Character Creation

As I read the D20 agreement, you cannot use the D20 logo and trademark on a product if it contains (basically) stand-alone character creation data. How do you plan to generate characters for T20?

For me, part of the fun of the original Traveller game was creating characters. I think a lot of the flavor is going to be lost under a D20 System -- particularly since using D20 requires that you refer back to the D&D3 Players Handbook for character creation info.

Or am I missing something...?

------------------
Guy McLimore /
<A HREF="mailto:guymc@microta
ctix.com">guymc@microta
ctix.com</A>
MicroTactix Games
http://www.microtactix.c
om

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>As I read the D20 agreement, you cannot use the D20 logo and trademark on a product if it contains (basically) stand-alone character creation data. How do you plan to generate characters for T20?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very carefully?
wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
For me, part of the fun of the original Traveller game was creating characters. I think a lot of the flavor is going to be lost under a D20 System -- particularly since using D20 requires that you refer back to the D&D3 Players Handbook for character creation info.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All that is REQUIRED under the d20 license is that we do not give the details of the exact steps to character creation. Basically we can't tell you how to roll stat scores, apply initial skill points, and pick initial feats. We also cannot tell you how to apply the benefits you might gain from level advancement.

If you already know how to roll stats, apply skill points, and what to do when you go up a level, there is not much you will have to keep referring back to in the PHB.

As to the flavor, we are doing everything we can to retain the Traveller taste. There is a Prior Service system in place…

Hunter
The D20 Traveller Team

Or am I missing something...?

Well, D20 does allow some additions to character creation, such as background options or such, so long as they don't redefine the CC system. So, there's always a little bit of leeway.

I just remembered something. Heh. Dragon Lords of Melnibone is a D20 game. All it is is a rewrite from Elric! but they just replaced a few key elements, such as magic points with XP. Most of the rules and such are the same and the Demon Summoning/Binding is not Open Source. Traveller could do some things similar, but I hope it's more than just a rewrite. Hint!

Re: license

The d20 license requirements you're talking about only apply if you're using the default "any random person can use the logo if you follow these rules" license. You can arrange a different license with WOTC. Of course, WOTC will probably want compensation for such a license.

Re: hit points

The Star Wars rules already have a different hit point system.

Wound Points: starts out equal to your constitution, and basically reflects actual damage to your person. If you run out of Wound Points, you die (none of that "-10 hit points" thing, though, mechanically Wound Points essentially replace that -10 hit points before death buffer).

Vitality points: these go up with level, and are essentially hit point. They reflect a lot of different things (all of the usual D&D rationalization: fatigue, luck, near messes, grazes, etc.). Vitality points are also expended for various force skills/feats.

Unimportant NPC's (such as your random storm trooper) don't get Vitality points ... only heroic characters get Vitality points. So, you could have a minor stormtrooper NPC who is 5th level (so that he meets the difficulty level of the party), but has no Vitality points (and can thus be taken out with one or two blaster shots).

If you take damage, and you still have Vitality points left, you mark them off of your Vitality. If you don't have Vitality left, you take them off of Wound points. And there's some rules about saving vs passing out if you don't have any vitality points left when you take damage, and things like that.

Critical hits, in Star Wars, do not multiply damage (as they do in D&D3e). Instead, critical hits bypass your Vitality points and do damage straight to your Wound points.

So, if you're saying that in your Traveller game there are only "normal people" and no "heroic people", then no one gets Vitality points (not even the PCs). Or, only Force using characters (Telepaths) get them, depending on your exact campeign setting.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hunter:

As to the flavor, we are doing everything we can to retain the Traveller taste. There is a Prior Service system in place…

Hunter
The D20 Traveller Team

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I hope, Hunter.
Traveller and D&D have very different concepts regarding characters. I always enjoied Traveller common man approach compared with D&D hero in making. I also recall from Book 1 (I believe, I don't have the books with me right now) that Traveller is not about young heroes but about experient people. As such, in order to keep with the Traveller feeling, I hope that T20 will allow us to follow prior carrers (class levels, perhaps) before the actual campaingn time. I would toy with the idea of having the players develop characters up to 7 terms (levels) of prior service before joing a Traveller prestige class or something like it.
Concerning the hit points (an obvius lame feature of the d20 system) check Pinnacle home page. They are developing a d20 version of Deadlands and a new d20 game in a sobrenatural WWII setting. They are also discussing a modification to the hit point system. It would be nice that T20 follows the same rules, so we can get some standards.
Any way, congratulations for the licence, I hope it will help me to convince some players to give Traveller a chance.
Ron

Back