• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Invasion of America

China lacks the capability to successfully take an island off their coast

I don't think you understand how difficult it is to move large numbers of troops great distances. Only a handful of countries even have a deep blue navy

In T2K, China is knocked out by the USSR, Japan has no long range transport nor military will. South Africa can flex massive muscles in Africa but any type of logistical operation involving deep water would result in the loss of massive numbers of soldiers

The only threats facing the US (non-strat nuke anyway) are Mexico (realistically, slight beyond about 100 km of their border) and fellow Americans

The question I always had for T2K post 1990 is 'why did their USSR survive?'

I looked back for a 'moment in time' that would change the history. And I found it.

In 1993, during a visit to South Korea, North Korea actually had plans to assassinate Reagan. It was largely Reagan's plan to bankrupt the USSR with an arms race they could not win that hastened the end of the Evil Empire. Bush Sr, away from Reagan's influence and facing domestic pressure, may well have gone back to Nixon's brand of anti-Communism: talk a good story but live in detente

No Reagan massive build up = no pressure on the USSR
No Reagan funding of the Mujahadeen, including the supply of Stingers = Russian grind but eventual victory in Afghanistan
No Reagan support for Solidarity in Poland = eventually the lights go out

Actually Poland is not that critical in the equation, the Solidarnosc movement did only come into anything resembling power (a rigged election that gave the opposition 35 percent of the seats and the rest to the commies) in June 1989. The major problem was Hungaria opening it's borders and therefor East Germany collapsing.

If you want a turning point, have the East German Army and/or the Sowjet army answer the "We are the people" protests with a "No, you are enemies of the people" and ample amounts of maschine gun ammo. Maybe including a little "visit" to Hungaria in the Summer.

As an alternate have the "August Uprising" of 1991 take place in 1988 and be a bit more successful. No Gorbashev, no Wodka-Boris and the whole Eastern Block gets another decade

Check out the book 'Warday'. It relates directly to this discussion. There are (plot spoiler) descriptions of Great Britain and Japan taking over under the disguise of "reconstruction assistance" as well as a new Hispanic nation springing up in west Texas and parts of New Mexico. You must take into consideration that the book was written in the mid-eighties.

I agree. Back then when I ran a TW:2000 campaign, "Warday" was an important source of inspiration for me.

You must take into consideration that the book was written in the mid-eighties.

Well, yes, makes sense. The whole TW:2000 / Post-apocalypse concept is so permeated by mid-80s values and cliches anyway.

That was it. But I don't remember it being all that horrible; you must elaborate.

"The Price of Freedom". Well, it was not as much horrible as it was ludicrous, IMHO. This was indeed a RPG version of Red Dawn, with all the related cliches.
The basic postulate, first of all: I don't remember how they did it, but the Sovs managed to persuade the current PoTUS (subliminal influence, hypnosis..) to surrender the whole USA to the WarPact. So no invasion per se took place, the Russians and their allies landed pacifically and occupied the country.

Groups of patriots, usually small-town hi-school students strengthened by older war veterans, then took up arms and started the resistance, in various non-subtle ways.

It has to be said, in the authors' defense, that the game was always intended as a whimsical parody of all the books and movies from back then. Unfortunately, many people kept to a 1st degree, litteral analysis, spawning a lot of controversy and insults back then. I remember indignant articles in the French gaming magazines of the time, completely off the mark and complaining about "Les jeux Reagan".

Here are some questions:
Would the breakdowns of society as presented in REvolution and The Walking Dead seem reasonable in relation to the T2000 resource scarcity? I am not talking about the silly reason for the loss of electricity in REvolution. I am not talking about the zombies in Walking Dead. I mean the breakdown/loss of resources as presented in T2000 (oil/gas, electricity and communications). Back in the '80s IIRC, POTS network hubs and power plants were also targeted by the then Soviet Union. Perhaps even then electric supplying dams? So, was there enough chaos and breakdown to form smaller scale societies within the US to allow for invason?

IofA

Here are some questions:
Would the breakdowns of society as presented in REvolution and The Walking Dead seem reasonable in relation to the T2000 resource scarcity? I am not talking about the silly reason for the loss of electricity in REvolution. I am not talking about the zombies in Walking Dead. I mean the breakdown/loss of resources as presented in T2000 (oil/gas, electricity and communications). Back in the '80s IIRC, POTS network hubs and power plants were also targeted by the then Soviet Union. Perhaps even then electric supplying dams? So, was there enough chaos and breakdown to form smaller scale societies within the US to allow for invason?

It's actually pretty easy. All of southern california's power failed in the late-90s because of transformer problems in one location. Such an event on the east coast, California, Texas, Florida...could be a prelude to an invasion.

I watched one episode of Revolution and started laughing. However, a temporary failure could occur to any nation on Earth. :file_19: Ukraine and Japan's nuclear disasters and our 3 mile island. A military disaster would be far worst. Nuclear weapons stored near a fault line for example.

Back