• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Rank Insignia of the Imperial Marines

Has anyone with an artistic bent and a decent software package the time to make images of the Rank insignia for the Imperial Marines that could be used on the Wiki?

The gallery has so much in it, though finding things can be difficult. I've spent a lot of time just randomly going through the images as there is a lot of inspiration to be found there. There is probably something in there for anything you need, or general image searches on the web as well. But the gallery is Traveller specific and a great resource.

Hey folks! It's been a REAL long time since I've been on here but I remember having a great discussion on this subject here back in the day but it looks like it disappeared. Someone even took the words I wrote (taken from canon sources (TAS Journal issue)) and made a GREAT set of pics! So, to revive the discussion, here I go! (and if someone with GFX skills wants to redraw them, awesome!)

This came from the "Uniforms of the Terran Occupation Forces" article in a TAS Journal and it went into HUGE detail about uniforms and rank insignia. (Marines had a really slick looking red jacket and black pants with red seam stripes and topped by a peaked cap. The whole thing looked like it combined the best of European and US designs at the same time) Here's a quick and dirty paraphrase of the rank insignia...

This was meant to be a UNIFIED system that was ordered into use by an Emperor (circa 979, if memory serves).

Enlisted Ranks: Square patch on upper arm on most uniforms with discs patterned in a way that ended in a cross configuration. Now here's where it got confusing. TAS suggests that a disc got added every 2 or 3 ranks but, in this forum, we came up with something more comprehensible so I'll write about that. Silver Discs for E-2 to E-5. Gold Discs for E-6 to E-10. Placement order is always Left, Right, Top, Bottom (per the article).

Officer Ranks: O-1 to O-3 used silver sunbursts. O-4 to O-6 used gold sunbursts. O-7 to O-10 used gold four-pointed stars. On duty uniforms these were on epaulets/shoulder straps. On dress uniforms, they were on hard Navy-style shoulderboards. On BDUs and armor they were on the chest and subdued.

So... there it is. Shall we discuss? :)

Back