• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5 sensor mods

RogerD

SOC-12
I'm having trouble understanding the sensor mods. I am quoting below the rules from p.138 of BBB2, v.5.10

ASM Active Sensor Mod. The Sensor Task assumes Passive Mode. If the Sensor is Active, add Mod = Sensor Range S= (task is more likely to succeed).
I think this is the sensor's range, not the range to the target, so for example if you had a Deep Space EMS searching for a ship at S=5, you would add 9, not 5. Is that correct?

ATM Active Target Mod. If the Target is firing weapons, operating defenses, operating drives, or operating an Active Sensor of the same principle, add Mod = Target Size.
I guess this is straightforward enough, but we have examples of the "size" being based on things other than the actual ship size, like jump flash, so I guess we're supposed to pick the right kind of size for the principle involved? Another example is the Jammer, which makes the user look like a size 8 ship while using it (but that would only be to Electronic principle sensors)

CATM Chance Active Target Mod (= Flux). Chance may reveal or conceal a Target: a stray reflection of light from a star, or a chance occulsion of the stellar background can disclose an object; likewise local dust or stray signals may obscure the Target’s signature.
When is this supposed to be applied? From the name, it sounds like this only applies to active targets, but that's not clear from the description. Most of the examples also don't use this. Feels a bit extraneous in that it simply adds additional dice to the mix when we are already rolling a decent number of dice in many cases.

Stealth Mask Mod. If Target has Stealth Mask, subtract Mod =Sensor Range S= (task more likely to fail).
Referencing the Stealth Mask rule, it appears to me this is supposed to apply to Active sensors only and the modifier is that of the stealth mask, but it's not clear from the rule as written here. It also appears that the actual mod is based on the sensor mask (including any mods), but this rule makes it sound like you subtract the sensor's range.

Another doubt is whether this mod applies to an active target. If the ship is emitting actively, then it seems to me this shouldn't apply.
Lying Doggo. If a ship has all systems powered down, subtract Mod = Sensor Range S= (task is more likely to fail).
This is another case where it isn't quite making sense to me. You are lying doggo, so you subtract the sensor range of the detecting sensor? If so, then longer range sensors are affected more than shorter range sensors, which doesn't make sense to me. Or is it the range in effect (the one to the ship)? The example on p.152 seems to imply this.

It feels like the effect of lying doggo would be to reduce or eliminate the signature - effectively a reduced target size. This would typically not have a major effect on the die rolls, but would potentially take out a whole range band where you are detectable, depending on how big an effect it has. There are even rules for this on p.189 for power plants.

In writing this, I noticed for the first time that neither the Stealth Mask Mod nor the Lying Doggo rule affect the minimum size rule (at least if you follow the example) - the one where you can't detect if S-R+Mods<0.

I'm having trouble understanding the sensor mods. I am quoting below the rules from p.138 of BBB2, v.5.10
You are not alone...

ASM Active Sensor Mod. The Sensor Task assumes Passive Mode. If the Sensor is Active, add Mod = Sensor Range S= (task is more likely to succeed).
I think this is the sensor's range, not the range to the target, so for example if you had a Deep Space EMS searching for a ship at S=5, you would add 9, not 5. Is that correct?
I believe so, see my bolded section of the quote.

Sensor Range is the defined range of the sensor.
Range is the range to target.
Clear as mud.

ATM Active Target Mod. If the Target is firing weapons, operating defenses, operating drives, or operating an Active Sensor of the same principle, add Mod = Target Size.
I guess this is straightforward enough, but we have examples of the "size" being based on things other than the actual ship size, like jump flash, so I guess we're supposed to pick the right kind of size for the principle involved? Another example is the Jammer, which makes the user look like a size 8 ship while using it (but that would only be to Electronic principle sensors)
Yes, I believe so. We only have a few different sizes defined, as you mention, so it should not be difficult to choose.

CATM Chance Active Target Mod (= Flux). Chance may reveal or conceal a Target: a stray reflection of light from a star, or a chance occulsion of the stellar background can disclose an object; likewise local dust or stray signals may obscure the Target’s signature.
When is this supposed to be applied? From the name, it sounds like this only applies to active targets, but that's not clear from the description. Most of the examples also don't use this. Feels a bit extraneous in that it simply adds additional dice to the mix when we are already rolling a decent number of dice in many cases.
It's in the basic sensor task, so any time you roll...

Yes, T5 loves to use lots of dice.

Referencing the Stealth Mask rule, it appears to me this is supposed to apply to Active sensors only and the modifier is that of the stealth mask, but it's not clear from the rule as written here. It also appears that the actual mod is based on the sensor mask (including any mods), but this rule makes it sound like you subtract the sensor's range.
This is clear enough?
B2, p152:
Stealth Mask is a Mod on an opponent’s Active Sensor Task equal to TL + Mods; Sensop C+S+K and Console do not particpate. Std Vdistant Surface-M Stealth Mask-12 (with Mod=0) is Mod -12 on the Sensor Task (which reduces the Target number and makes the task more difficult).

Another doubt is whether this mod applies to an active target. If the ship is emitting actively, then it seems to me this shouldn't apply.
Doesn't apply to detection as:
B2, p140:
Active Mode. Allows Active Sensor Mod= +R=. An Active Sensor is automatically detected by all operating Passive sensors of the same type in range.
No sensor task required, hence no Stealth mod.

It would (and should?) apply to rolls for refined information about the target, I believe.

Lying Doggo. If a ship has all systems powered down, subtract Mod = Sensor Range S= (task is more likely to fail).
This is another case where it isn't quite making sense to me. You are lying doggo, so you subtract the sensor range of the detecting sensor? If so, then longer range sensors are affected more than shorter range sensors, which doesn't make sense to me. Or is it the range in effect (the one to the ship)? The example on p.152 seems to imply this.
I believe the example on B2 p152 is in error and assumes sensor range S=6 (for the S=7 EMS).

I think it would make more sense to use Range (actual range to target) rather than Sensor Range, but that is not what the rule says...

In writing this, I noticed for the first time that neither the Stealth Mask Mod nor the Lying Doggo rule affect the minimum size rule (at least if you follow the example) - the one where you can't detect if S-R+Mods<0.
I would guess it's included in Mods.

Back