• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Two T4 F,F,&S Design Questions

snrdg082102

SOC-14 1K
I have been playing with T4: Fire, Fusion, & Steel's small arms design sequence for gauss guns and have stumbled on two details I have not quite figured out or found on my own.

1) On page 37 under the topic of Bayonet is this text: "Only weapons with a bulk of 4 or more may profitably use a bayonet lug."

I've looked in T4: FF&S to find the formula for determining bulk without finding the text or formula. I've even checked all the errata I can find. TNE: FF&S determines Bulk by dividing the Weapons Total length by 15.

2) On p. 39 under the topic of Ordinary Dammage the text reads: "Weapons with a muzzle enregy less than 30,00 joules use Equation 31: Traveller Damage. Equation 31 divides the square root of Eeff by 10.5.

Looking through the book I found that Eeff is the effective energy of HE and HEAP. :confused: How does this equate to a standard gauss solid round. Should Eeff actually be Emuzzle? :confused:

Again I've checked T4 errata but I did not find any reference to this apparent error.

Thanks for any help in advance, even if the advise is to go soak my head;)

I have been playing with T4: Fire, Fusion, & Steel's small arms design sequence for gauss guns and have stumbled on two details I have not quite figured out or found on my own.

1) On page 37 under the topic of Bayonet is this text: "Only weapons with a bulk of 4 or more may profitably use a bayonet lug."

I've looked in T4: FF&S to find the formula for determining bulk without finding the text or formula. I've even checked all the errata I can find. TNE: FF&S determines Bulk by dividing the Weapons Total length by 15.

2) On p. 39 under the topic of Ordinary Dammage the text reads: "Weapons with a muzzle enregy less than 30,00 joules use Equation 31: Traveller Damage. Equation 31 divides the square root of Eeff by 10.5.

Looking through the book I found that Eeff is the effective energy of HE and HEAP. :confused: How does this equate to a standard gauss solid round. Should Eeff actually be Emuzzle? :confused:

Again I've checked T4 errata but I did not find any reference to this apparent error.

Thanks for any help in advance, even if the advise is to go soak my head;)

Wow! You managed to dominate a whole subforum for 2 weeks! (Or did you just kill it?) :D

I think the answers to your questions are the ones you postulated. When in doubt, check out FFS1. In fact, I basically stick to FFS1, and if I'm wondering if there's some cool new feature, like new materials or hull shapes or something like that, I'll check through FFS2. One must keep in mind that the values for armor were changed in FFS2, but not for weapons. Basically, armor got tougher by a factor of about 1.4 (iirc).

Wow! You managed to dominate a whole subforum for 2 weeks! (Or did you just kill it?) :D

I think the answers to your questions are the ones you postulated. When in doubt, check out FFS1. In fact, I basically stick to FFS1, and if I'm wondering if there's some cool new feature, like new materials or hull shapes or something like that, I'll check through FFS2. One must keep in mind that the values for armor were changed in FFS2, but not for weapons. Basically, armor got tougher by a factor of about 1.4 (iirc).

Lo TheDS,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion to drop back to TNE's FF&S. I was beginning to think that I had killed the T4 forum, until you answered. Yep, I've also used TNE's 1st and 2nd printing of FF&S. On another board was a thread that mentioned gauss machine guns, which led me to search my various Traveller versions. The only mention of gauss machine guns was in T4's Emperor's Arsenal. I tried to reverse engineer the gauss weapons and create a spreadsheet using T4's FF&S. Then I stumbled across the items I mentioned here. Next, I went to TNE FF&S, both editions, creating another spreadsheet to help me design a gauss weapon. Neither attempt managed to come close to the weapons in the Emperor's Arsenal (E-A). I recently read that most of the weapons in E-A were designed using Guns, Guns, Guns. I've purchased a copy on-line and when delivered I'll try again.

Originally posted by TheDS:

Lo TheDS,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion to drop back to TNE's FF&S. I was beginning to think that I had killed the T4 forum, until you answered. Yep, I've also used TNE's 1st and 2nd printing of FF&S. On another board was a thread that mentioned gauss machine guns, which led me to search my various Traveller versions. The only mention of gauss machine guns was in T4's Emperor's Arsenal. I tried to reverse engineer the gauss weapons and create a spreadsheet using T4's FF&S. Then I stumbled across the items I mentioned here. Next, I went to TNE FF&S, both editions, creating another spreadsheet to help me design a gauss weapon. Neither attempt managed to come close to the weapons in the Emperor's Arsenal (E-A). I recently read that most of the weapons in E-A were designed using Guns, Guns, Guns. I've purchased a copy on-line and when delivered I'll try again.

Originally posted by TheDS:

Back