• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Your Favorite Colonial World

Another reason I enjoy Syuhlahm is the Piracy backstory that sits at the background of the Chinese Arm.
There are some nice worlds to be discovered behind Lacaile 9352 and between the American and Chinese Arms (think of DM -45 3677 and such).

The way I have played Syuhlahm so far is that it is the economic hub of the Chinese Arm. It is where the Chinese government landowners and the Western know how and finance meet. It is also where the Pirates go and see where to lurk...

BC4, around Beta Canum Venaticorum is also still one of my favourites. I like open ended game settings and the Kafer still lurking in the inlands of New Africa make for a background that I appreciate. What also speaks for BC4 (and most other 2300AD worlds is -and this has been said above by others- that the early 2300AD worlds are so well fleshed out. Although this mostly goes for the worlds where the Kafer War played. The Chinese Arm leaves a lot of room for GM's to work with.

Besides there being giant lizards on Wolf 424B, what else do we know about it in 2300?

A world hospitable to giant lizards is most likely hospitable to humans.

Wolf 424B aka FL Virgins, is a tiny M dwarf near the bottom end of the main sequence, about 14% of the sun's diameter according to Wikipedia. It's a UV Ceti-type variable star, subject to frequent and sporadic flares. It takes 15.9 years to compete one orbit with its companion.
With a diameter of 0.14 sol and a published absolute visual magnitude of 14.96, it must have an effective temperature of about 2,600 K, which means it has 8/10,000th of the sun's energy output.

In 2300 canon, Wolf 424 the second nearest life-bearing star system to Earth (after Alpha Centauri), which means it was probably the second one discovered, in the early 2140's.

I'm writing up a GDW-style sourcebook for this Wolf 424B-1, which I've code-named "Komodo". This world has already been written up and named "Ariadne", I might use that name if/when the book is ever completed. I may post a preview PDF.

Komodo is a bit smaller than Earth, gravity is about 0.9 g. It orbits 0.03 AU from FL Virginis in a little under five days, keeping one face toward its tiny sun. As you might expect, the day hemisphere is hot and the night hemisphere is cold, but there is a large temperate swath 20 degrees of longitude sunward of the terminator.

Not sure if I've decided on a favourite colony, but I've always thought Dunkelheim would be a great setting for a campaign. It has scope for some great initial adventures and then later serve as a base of operations in the wilds of the outer French Arm, such as:
- You can ride Horses! How cool is that? A skill not many characters would take...

I agree. A great place to have a reason for choosing the Desperado career from Mongoose Publishing's Cowboys vs. Xenomorphs.

Kormoran might also be a suitable place to play Desperados.

Still reading

I'm still making my mind up.

I've only just picked up the 2300AD PDFs and am perusing through the material in interest.

This is a good thread to get some heads up about what's out there in the year 2300.

Wolf 424-B needs to be fleshed out a bit. But I can see it as a tidally locked world, or just one with a really, really short year....

Thank you William H. Keith Jr., and company, for the Aurore Sourcebook!

Years ago, my longest running and most successful 2300AD campaign was playing through the first contact and invasion of the Kafer in 2298. And the resource to my rescue was the Aurore Sourcebook. My friends had never read a word about 2300AD. Everything was new to them -- the setting, the technology, and certainly the Kafer. Because of this, everything was new and fresh...whether it was trying to figure out the physiology and psychology of the Kafer, or the life forms of the planet as detailed in the sourcebook.

One player, whose character was a biologist, went nuts when I began describing the native flora and fauna of Aurore. After giving her some handouts about them, I got an e-mail filled with questions and a note at the end saying how much she was enjoying the game, and how she was "having fun in her own way."

As far as I'm concerned, GDW gets all the credit for that. I found the Aurore Sourcebook one of the best supplements I ever bought. I got a lot of milage out of it!

We made some great memories while visiting. In fact, I think I would like to go back there someday. :)

It is a well designed book no doubt, I just wish that there were more of them.

Years ago, my longest running and most successful 2300AD campaign was playing through the first contact and invasion of the Kafer in 2298. And the resource to my rescue was the Aurore Sourcebook. My friends had never read a word about 2300AD. Everything was new to them -- the setting, the technology, and certainly the Kafer. Because of this, everything was new and fresh...whether it was trying to figure out the physiology and psychology of the Kafer, or the life forms of the planet as detailed in the sourcebook.

One player, whose character was a biologist, went nuts when I began describing the native flora and fauna of Aurore. After giving her some handouts about them, I got an e-mail filled with questions and a note at the end saying how much she was enjoying the game, and how she was "having fun in her own way."

As far as I'm concerned, GDW gets all the credit for that. I found the Aurore Sourcebook one of the best supplements I ever bought. I got a lot of milage out of it!

We made some great memories while visiting. In fact, I think I would like to go back there someday. :)

Back