• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

5 ton, Long duration Escape pod

wbyrd

SOC-13
I have been looking over the new MGT rules and trying to use them a bit to see how they work. I decided to do some small craft.

since the rules are still in flux, I had to make some guesses, and leave a few details approximated.

Ideas, suggestions or feedback is appreciated.

5_ton_long_duration_escape_ppd_by_wbyrd-d9h5xab.png

While simple escape pods are most common, these small fragile devices usually consist of a hull, storage for air and water for a short period, and nothing else. With seating for a few passengers crammed into a small space. However for vessels travelling into regions where rescue may not arrive for weeks or months a larger more capable pod is needed. The five ton log duration pod is an answer to that need. It features seating for six and emergency cryogenic low berths for up to eight individuals.

While typically the low berth is reserved for injured, or infirm passengers, or to allow the seated passengers o survive for months at a time they can be used when there are more passengers than seat, or life support resources. Typically the passengers board the pod, seal it and strap into acceleration couches provided for them. they are provided with food, water, and air for up to a month for up to six passengers. emergency food packs, and rationing can prolong the survivors food supply but if they are aboard form more than a month the emergency cryo berths come into use.

to insure survival the pods are equipped with advanced autopilot/drone controls that allow the pod to pilot itself to the nearest planet, or large body, and enter orbit. If the planet is life supporting the passengers can elect to land, or remain in orbit to await rescue. the pod has no windows, and only basic sensors including a crude system for detecting life supporting conditions.

All the passengers visual cues come form cameras around the hull, and radar systems that allow them to get a detailed image of any world they come across. although under normal circumstances the pods drone control system will make the required sensor readings, and process the data. I twill only override it's own decisions if a qualified pilot, or crewman is aboard the pod or if an individual on the passenger manifest has the appropriate skills to make decisions for the passengers.

to provide propulsion and power the pod has a very compact fusion reactor, main gravitics, and grav plates, as well as secondary emergency reaction thrusters for orbital maintenance and establishing a ballistic coast in the event of failure of drives or loss of main power. These systems allow for the pod to cross a system with a constant one Gee acceleration, enter orbit and make a controlled landing if needed. when couple with emergency thrusters, a heat shield, and small control plates in the hull, a pod can make a safe ballistic entry into any atmosphere.

To ensure long term survival planet side additional supplies are included including an inflatable pressurized dome, concentrated food, various tools, and supplies, as well as water and air reserves. once on a suitable world, the passengers can deploy flexible solar panels, water collectors/filters, and a portable distress beacon to supplement the pods own transponder. often survival gear includes simple firearms, knives, and other hunting/self defense items to allow passengers to protect themselves from local threats.( these supplies can not be accesssed unless the pod has been launched from the carrier vessel)

Layout, and features.

The pod is roughly a spheroid pod, with a dark colored heat shield at one end ringed with thrusters, and radar antenna built into the bulbous end of the pod ( the front). the flat rear of the pod features a docking ring, pressure door/airlock. and a ring of stronger drive units for use in interplanetary distance travel. Bright high visibility bands mark the hull, and one section of the hull is fitted with a HOLO/Laser illumination band for easy detection by optical sensors.

A second band toward the rear of the pod, and panels on the hatch are used to indicate the presence of passengers, with various colors allowing rescue personnel which pods have passengers, crew, or injured personnel. these panels assist in prioritizing and triage, preventing rescue personnel form wasting time on pods which launched with no persons aboard. However for safety, adn to avoid tragic accidents all pods in a system are checked even if they indicate they have no occupants aboard

Statistics
hull: Spheroid: partially streamlined
Hull options
Heat Shielding
Radiation Shielding

Crew: none drone control
power: fusion reactor
Drives: gravitic with emergency low yield reaction drives. Thrust 1
Fuel Sufficient for 1 month full operation. (with two hours fuel for reaction drives.)
sensors: Basic
Passengers : 6-8 seated, 8 in cryo-berths
cargo:3 displacement tons, for survival supplies. life support reserves

My thoughts...
while the cargo space could be used to hold more passengers. I decided to leave any extra space for fuel, and extra supplies for long term use.

the passengers would be cramped, and little room to move around, with just basic toilet facilitates..but it's an emergency pod, not a full launch/small craft.

this isn't something you'd carry on typical ships. As the description says It's for ships that cant expect rescue from local sources and may have to wait for a good bit.

Very nice design and presentation indeed.

My only thought would be inclusion of a 'fixed' direct view-port for reasons both psychological and practical, a Traveller version of a seaman's sextant should be part of a standard rescue gear inventory. Such accessible by a manually operated (rear cranked) iris 'hatch' as to conserve-extend available power aboard said vehicle.

"'That's funny, the damage doesn't look as bad from out here."

Very nice design and presentation indeed.

My only thought would be inclusion of a 'fixed' direct view-port for reasons both psychological and practical, a Traveller version of a seaman's sextant should be part of a standard rescue gear inventory. Such accessible by a manually operated (rear cranked) iris 'hatch' as to conserve-extend available power aboard said vehicle.

"'That's funny, the damage doesn't look as bad from out here."

I had originally put a large transparent dome at the rounded end..then changed my mind...I guess I could put one in the hatch at the rear of the pod..

How does it slow down for planetfall? Parachutes, thrusters, chemical rockets, something else?

It has gravity drives..small ones. and backup reaction jets. the red glowing things around both ends are drive plates.

When I worked it up I also fitted it so that in an emergency it can make a ballistic entry and use its reaction drives to slow it before impact.

It has a lot of backup systems to replace systems that might get damaged, or fail. It take up space and costs more, but I saw it as the high end, extra reliable version of the common escape pod.

Hmm. Thanks. It'd need a launch silo and PAWED (Power/Air/WatEr/Data) hookups, and a frangible silo top cover, does the 5-ton mass include all that?

Hmm. Thanks. It'd need a launch silo and PAWED (Power/Air/WatEr/Data) hookups, and a frangible silo top cover, does the 5-ton mass include all that?

As it stands a standard hanger will cover those additions so the ship carrying these pods would have to allow for that. Either that or use docking clamps to cover the cost and tonnage for the service connections and shrouds

Right now it's a major WIP, due to the final system not being available.As it stands it has several tons dedicated to cargo for long term survival supplies I can use to cover any additional systems.

part of why I put stuff up is so people can point out obvious oversights and flaws in my designs..you guys are helping me refine my ideas for print... I may have to add a huge list of thank yous for some of the feedback I have gotten form this bunch.

As it stands a standard hanger will cover those additions so the ship carrying these pods would have to allow for that. Either that or use docking clamps to cover the cost and tonnage for the service connections and shrouds

Streamlining is going to be a cost multiplier, for sure, unless it's factored in at the time of applying the hull to a fresh build.

Right now it's a major WIP, due to the final system not being available.As it stands it has several tons dedicated to cargo for long term survival supplies I can use to cover any additional systems.

OK, makes sense :)

part of why I put stuff up is so people can point out obvious oversights and flaws in my designs..you guys are helping me refine my ideas for print... I may have to add a huge list of thank yous for some of the feedback I have gotten form this bunch.

Heh. You're welcome ;)

Back