• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A Little Boom in your Zoom-Zoom

Say what you will about the d20 system (I'm certainly not a fan), but what is has going for it is mystery.

Remember, back in the day, playing D&D? You roll your d20...and then wait for the GM to respond. You had no idea whether you hit. The bastard GM kept the target number secret. He also kept the number of hit points the enmey had secret as well. So, not only did you wait to see what happened after you rolled your attack....you also kept swinging and swinging, rolling damage when you could, and listening closely to the GM's description of how the bad guy looked. Was he winded? What did that 12 hit points you just took off of him do to him? Is he bleeding?

Mystery.

That's what we're talking about here, folks. Drama.

And, it's accomplished in an rpg simply by keeping target numbers and health points secret. Instead of dry, clinical readings of dice, the player immerses himself in the story, seeing what his character sees via the description the GM delivers.

If you have a good game master, there's nothing better. This is the way to game.

For all it's "incredible-ness" (Traveller is definitely my favorite rpg of all time), Traveller is one of those games where the player usually knows what the target number is before the throws.

It's subtle, but this can really hurt a game. Why? The drama is gone. The player isn't sitting on the edge of his seat waiting to "learn something" in the way the GM describes the action. Instead, the Traveller player knows instantly if he hit in combat ("Is my total greater than 8?").

Well, I have two suggestions for you Traveller GMs out there. These two suggestions should put a little more boom in your zoom-zoom.

My first suggestion is obvious. Whenever you can keep something secret from the players, do so. Don't let them see enemy character sheets. Don't tell them how many points an opponent has in his STR rating. Don't let them know how many swings the character has until he is considered fatigued and must begin to use weakened blows.

Just don't do it.

Instead, describe what the character could see. Make the answers to these types of questions in a game cinematic.

Put a little more mystery in your game.

Your players will think you're being a hard-ass at first, but you will notice something in a session or two. The players will become more interested. They'll be more involved in the action.

And, everybody will have more fun. Including you.

It's called drama, folks. And, we humans love good drama, whether we're talking about a good book, movie, song, play, opera, ballet...or even a role playing game.

Drama is where It's at.

Now, my second suggestion for zoom-zoom in your boom-boom is akin to the first one. Many times you can keep target numbers secret. Since Traveller uses an unstructured task system (see Rule 68A in my sig), the GM often creates a target number on the fly as the game progresses.

This is a boon, folks! It's much better than a structured task system where the players already know what the target numbers are! It allows you to throw in more mystery!

Let'em hang on your every word! Create a picture in their heads instead of just telling them, "Oh, yeah, you hit." Try something else. Try something like this, "With all your might, you swing the chair, and your bones rattle when you connect. You just broke the chair over the guy's back. Roll damage, and let's see what happened to him."

When you can't hide the target number, as in Traveller combat, where everybody knows that an 8+ hits, what you may want to do is go with averaged target numbers.

What is an averaged target number? It's a to-hit number in Traveller that is likely to be 8 but may not be. This works best when you use two or more dice to determine the result (because of the bell curve, centering on 8).

So, if you wanted to use one die, you could use: 1D +5.

Roll 1D +5, and let the result be your true target number. This gives a range of 6-11. (But, it's linear, due to the one die.)

A better choice might be to use two dice: 2D +1.

Now, your result averages 8, because of the bell curve (or pyramidal slope with the two dice). But, your range is much wider: 3-13.

If you really want to get funky, try three dice: 3D -2.

Now, we're using a true bell curve with an average of 8. Your range, though, is quite wide: 1-16.

One way to lower the range is to only implement the averaged target number after the player throws his to-hit. This way, only actual throws of 8+ are considered.

Thus, if the 3D -2 averaged throw were used, the character would have to roll 8+ first on his to-hit. If successful, the GM would roll, secretly, for the actual target number, rolling 3D -2. This will result in a range of 8-16, since no low number is ever checked for.

An even lower range would be created if this method was done using the 2D +1 roll (resulting in a range of 8-13 ....which is 6 places....with the emphasis on the lower end of the range because of the curve....which is nice). This makes a target number of 13 possible but 8 likely.

How do you explain this to your players? Luck. Wind velocity. An itch of a sneeze right when the character was holding his breath to squeeze the trigger. However you'd like.

The point is: Players won't be so certain about their abilities. Mystery will prevail. More immersion in the game will result.

And, more fun by all will be had.

Here's an example of how this might be useful in your game....

Johnni has an SMG he stole from the Army during his time there. Johnni is skilled with SMG-1. Johnni's DEX is 7.

Johnni's target is at Medium range and is wearing no armor.

This means Johnni gets two chances to hit per the autofire rule, and each of those shots has: +5 for No Armor and +3 for Range.

At +9 to-hit, Johnni's player is feeling pretty confident that he can roll 8+ using 2D +9. :eek:o:

Really, all he needs to do is roll damage for both shots.

"Not so", says the GM. "Roll your to-hit."

Johnni's player does, and he rolls snake eyes. Then he laughs, "Ha! I still rolled 11! I hit! I hit no matter what!"

But, the GM, using averaged rolls, rolls 3D -2. Which ends up summing to 13.

"Nope, 'fraid not." The GM says. "Your burst is close, but the bad guy ended up stepping left just as your burst of ammo ripped into the door frame next to him. He's a lucky guy. Roll for your second attack."

You see. It's all about uncertainty. It's all about mystery. It's all about drama.

There are more ways to vary the target number than what I've shown here. I'm sure you can come up with some on your own. My point in this post was to remind you that you might want to add some uncertainty to your games.

For a quickie rule, you might want to simply do something like this: When a to-hit throw is thrown, check to see if it is even or odd. If the attack roll is even, then leave it alone. It stands. When the attack roll is odd, then roll a 1D3 (use a D6).

When the D3 roll is odd, subtract the number from 8 to find the target number. When the D3 roll is even, add the number to 8 to find the target number. This results in a 8 +/- 3 points situation.

Code:
D6
----
1    Target number is 7.
2    Target number is 9.
3    Target number is 6.
4    Target number is 10.
5    Target number is 5.
6    Target number is 11.

Two Steps:
-----------
1. If the attack roll is odd, then roll D3.

2. D3 provides range of 5-11, excluding 8.

Thus, 50% of the time, the target number will remain 8. The other half of the time, the true target number will be moved up or down 1-3 points.

However you do it, you should definitely try something like this if you don't already do it in your game.

I'm always amazed at how a little mystery can help an otherwise sagging game.

Try it. You'll be amazed too!:D

I =never= tell my players what they have to roll to suceed: I know what they have to roll, and it's their job (and excitement) to find out. Yes, if they have Dex 11 and Laser Pistol-4 it should be pretty hard to miss, but pretty hard isn't impossible and I never tell them it's a sure thing.

Basically, I don't let the dice (mine or theirs) run the game: =I= am running the game, and while I let the dice handle most things, if I need that NPC to survive he will survive, and if I need that NPC to die, he's gonna die.

I don't agree with this at all.

The imagination comes from the imagination. Whether I know I need 8+, or have the DM tell me a millisecond later "You hit / You miss", matters not, to me.

Likewise, if I know what I need to roll, I can assess my chances.

Thus "That armor's too strong for blasters!" and "They're coming in too fast!"

I can play / run it either way.

For my part, with vanishingly few exceptions,, almost every time I've run a game - ANY game - I've been the only one in the room with a solid grip on the game mechanics, and the rest of the crowd have been more or less along for the ride. So they have a vague idea that 8+ is a good thing, for example, but in the final analysis thy rely utterly on me for the interpretation. Which in some ways is fine... it gives the GM a lot of flexibility, but HOO it's a lot of work.

But I'd love to run a Traveller game one of these days in which EVERYBODY playing had a solid grip on the first three Little Black Books, and I could count on the players to take up some slack. That would be really nice. I think I could deal with the players knowing more about the mechanics of the rolls if that were the case.

Hmm, I think all 3 viewpoints here have merit. Edit - oops a fourth crossed in the post.

I try to keep some mystery, and my players are never certain of their chances cos they know my game is very houserule-heavy.

Yes, if it is essential for a NPC to live/die, I might fudge the roll, but the dice are there specifically to add a measure of uncertainty. There is a danger with too much roll-fudging that you simply dictate your game to puppet players. In my game, luck trumps minor plot designs - only the bare essentials of the master plan are guaranteed to survive the dice - it adds to my fun too.

Being able to assess some idea of your chances is also good, though. You need to know when to fight and when to flee, and in my game if you roll snake eyes the question isn't whether you hit, but what you hit!

I'd maybe go for 4+2D3. It uses D6, it has a bell curve, it's centred on 8, and the range is small enough to assess your chances whilst still providing some mystery.

I might even try that out. :)

Last edited:
Although I will add:

I do like the uncertain tasks system, such as:

Sensors roll, both Ref and player roll.

Both make it = Total Truth
One makes it = Partial Truth
Both Fail = No truth

I thought that was a really good idea, in cases involving uncertainty.

I'd maybe go for 4+2D3. It uses D6, it has a bell curve, it's centred on 8, and the range is small enough to assess your chances whilst still providing some mystery.

I maybe should have added above that I don't use any of these methods when Travellering. Yeah, maybe I should have added that. :eek:o: I run CT pretty much straight out of the box.

I think my suggestions above may be a bit too fussy, dice-wise. The idea is great. Mystery and drama is king. But, the mechanics of it also need to gell.

Ico, what you may want to try the time honored tradition of throwing two dice. The player throws 2D normally for tasks. The GM throws 2D (a positive die and a negative die--use two different colored dice) as D3's, summs them, then either adds up to +2 or subtracts up to -2, depending on the throw.

For example:

Player throws 2D + mods and gets a total of 9. It's a hit!

GM throws 2D3: 3 -1 = 2. It's really a hit, with a grand total of 11.

You only have to check when the player's task fails by 2 or less...or when it is successful by 2 or more. Otherwise, don't roll (the outcome of the D3 roll won't effect the outcome of the task).

Simple, easy idea...may be worth trying.

This is one of the subjects where I can honestly say I have run games all over the board. Soem groups I have had love the drama and story telling. With those guys I did a lot more telling and less calculating. The group I had that were more tactical war gamers, they got a blast knowing the numbers and seeing if they could pull it off with the dice rolls. Another group I had was happy not to have combat for months on end (real time). They loved the interaction and when combat came out, they just wanted to get it over with.

I think the kind of players you have will influance the kind of game that works best. And for me, I have the best time when the players leave the game feeling like they had a good time.

Daniel

Although I will add:

I do like the uncertain tasks system, such as:

Sensors roll, both Ref and player roll.

Both make it = Total Truth
One makes it = Partial Truth
Both Fail = No truth

I thought that was a really good idea, in cases involving uncertainty.

I tell the players what their sensors read, that way I can get them to feel that uncertainty if it's required, feel complacent if I want them to feel that way, and run away even if they didn't have to. I control the horizontal, I control the vertical...

Since I cut my teeth on D&D almost a year before Traveller came out I learned early the advantages of keeping the odds secret. Mainly I just tell the players to roll to hit and am fair about the odds, they trust me since I keep things consistant and drama never means arbitrarily dead player-characters unless it really has to happen. NPCS may drop like flies, but that's what loyal followers are for.

Back