• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A Noble, some questions, and a request for advice.

G'day all,
First off, I am using 5.10.
I am near completion of character generation in so far as I have run the toon to the end of term 3, where the continue roll failed and adventuring must begin..
I have never even considered taking the Noble career, and thought it would be a good way to try something new since the C6 roll was 6 + 6.
There is some confusion, and there are a couple of questions I'd like to put to you all.

I will type out the raw data, then "refined" prior to transfer to the character sheet. This will show you where I may have gone wrong, and thus would like to be corrected please.

Stat: D1 D2 Total
Str: 3 4 7
Dex: 6 5 11
End: 3 4 7
Int: 6 4 10
Edu: 6 5 11
Soc: 6 6 12

UPP: 7B7ABC
Birthworld: Vland
Homeworld: Vland 1717 Vlan A967A9A-F Hi Cs
Homeworld skills: Streetwise 1
Bureaucrat 1

Career: Noble
Entry: Automatic if Soc B+ = Success.
Starting rank: 12 (C) = c Baronet (Or is this C Baron ? please advise)

Term 1
Year 1: Technical - Roll: 2 = One science = Archaeology 1
Year 2: Vocation - Roll: 5 = Bureaucrat 1
Year 3: Travel - Roll: 2 = Flyer....... = Flyer 0 - Rotor 1
Year4: Personal - Roll: 6 = C6 + 1 (= land grant ?)

Risk/Reward: CC=C2 (Dex) = 11 (B). (unsure if there can be a mod as this is first term, please advise)
Roll (no mod) = 6 + 1 = 7 Success.

Roll for elevation: Roll: 1 + 1 = 2 Fail !!!!

Continue: 7 Roll: 1 + 4 = 5 Success.

Term 2
Year 1: Personal - Roll: 5 = C5 + 1
Year 2: Technical - Roll: 6 = One trade = Gravitics 1
Year 3: Travel - Roll: 3 = Pilot.... = Pilot 0 - Spacecraft ACS 1
Year 4: Vocation - Roll:6 = Capital*** World knowledge (Of world of highest held Noble land grant) <- unsure how this works, please advise. (Value = 1D6 Roll: 3)

Risk /Reward: CC=C5 (Edu) = 11 (B) ..... Used a -1 Mod here unsure if correct to do so. Also getting C5 +1 in first year, does that affect the R/R roll since it is based on C5 for this term ?

R/R Roll: 6 + 5 -1 Mod = 10 = Fail = Exile. (I think, may be wrong though)

No roll for elevation.

Continue: 7 Roll: 4 + 2 = 6 Success

Term 3
Year 1: Travel - Roll: 3 = Pilot.... = Pilot 0 - Small Craft 1
Year 2: Vocation - Roll: 4 = Starship Skill = Astrogator 1
Year 3: Technical - Roll: 3 Athlete 1
Year 4: Personal - Roll: 2 C2 + 1

Risk/Reward: CC=C4 (Int) = 10 (A)
Return: CC = Mods = 10 + 1 , Roll: 6 + 1 = 7 Success..... I think. I may have got this completely wrong. This bit is quite difficult to understand. Which leads to the question, Do you get to roll for elevation in the same term you return, as in this case ?

Continue: 7 Roll: 5 + 3 = 8 Fail. ,<--- Crap !! I had rolled two more terms and forgotten the continue roll, so did that retrospectively, thus ending now. I do think the extra two terms would have been pretty sweet for this character though....

RAW..... On to adventuring. (this character never will though, but is good to learn the system)

Background: I rolled some cool things, which could be woven together fairly well, this is a good aspect of character creation. BUT, the rolls did fit well....

Muster out:
DM + 3
Money - Roll: 3 + 3 = 6 = Cr 200 000
Benefits - Roll: 1 (choose no Mod) = Forbidden ...... This leads to the question, according to the book.... Can the character get, Fighter - Beams 1 ?
Power - Roll: 2 + 3 = 5 = 5 Proxies = Cr 500 000 Per annum

Land Grants:
I am a bit confused with the table here. Also, I am unsure of whether or not the character's starting Soc rank confers land grants. It would seem to be so, but would like to know what the Citizens think. Also, if starting rank is indeed C Baron, this would confer 4 additional land grants if I am correct....

As to the tables and how to interpret them... Under the heading "Where?" There are listings for one system, subsector, sector, etc... I do not get this, and would like some insight please.
Under the heading "Preferred" the first two are blank, then there are trade classifications. I am thinking that the first two can go anywhere, but latter grants should be on worlds with the trade classifications listed, but not essential. Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

Under the heading "MW", I have no idea as to what these numbers mean, and would like advice here please.

Under the heading "other", same, no idea......

As a thought, and it would be a good way to tie in background rolls for the character (which I will list), with four land grants, and I may again be wrong, I would look at placing one each on..... Menorb, Uake,, Whanga and Forboldn. If Soc is indeed higher, then more in the same sector....... Maybe.

Character as it stands prior to tying up loose (uncertain) ends.....

UPP: 7C7ACD

Skills: Knowledges:
Streetwise 1 Archaeology 1
Bureaucrat 2
Flyer 0 Rotary 1
Gravitics 1
Pilot 0 Spacecraft ACS 1
Small Craft 1
Astrogator 1 Workd knowledge 3 (world to be decided)
Athlete 1

I am sure I missed something, or a few somethings .....

Please correct me where I am in error, and thank you.

Edit: Because I forgot.....

Background information:
Educational institution: No roll, did not attend. Starting roll 11 (B), dunno if that would mean anything.

Life motivations: Roll: 2 = To remove the corrupt nobles in < > subsector.

Acquired secrets: Roll: 1 = A high priority code for army procurement.

Former organisations: Roll: 1 = Moot committee for the eradication of piracy.

Important events: Roll: 1 = The <element> affair.

A string of 1's gives a very good foundation here. I think it could be fleshed out to be a solid focus for the character......

Last edited:
There are a few things to remember about nobles: (1) these guys (SOC:12) have the status that is about the same as the president of a reasonable sized current day country. Or one of the top few (less than a dozen) richest persons in the current world.
(2) The fact that you were born on Vland doesn't mean that you are a Baron of Vland nor does it mean you are even of Vilani heritage, residence, or nationality. Vland is the kind of place rich and powerful people congregate.

MW is the Mainworld of the system

I can't see why a Noble couldn't have learned a forbidden skill...Any "Dune" style aristocracy would really need that. And I can't see the rules forbidding it either. It just doesn't appear on your official CV. And don't forget that many court appointments would require the ceremonial wearing of Arms (often archaic).

As a Baron your land grants would be in one system, preferably one with an Ag or Ri trade category. There are 4 on the mainworld and 4 on the other worlds of the system.
Additionally you have land grants of Baronet, Knight and Gentleman...with at least one on Vland itself (from the Knighthood) - probably the estate where you were born!

Also, each of those land grants may have proxies associated with them (see the land grant chart) which adds to your previous total, and income based on where they are. Note, the number under Main World are the number of hexes that make up the Fief, a hex in this case is 100 km across.

Or the number of one Hex fief's.
The Mainworld number is how much land on the primary planet in the system. I don't think they're nessecarily contiguous; you could own Startown and a Fishing Port and a Mine in the mountains, plus Baron Island (your private retreat, complete with Bond Villian landing pad inside the extinct volcano)

For example, Baronet Carmel has "The Baronny" , his ocean side town, and "Black Mining Co, LLC", which are a set of mines SW of the starport.

The "other" column is hexes in the system where you have Mainworld fiefs.
One of them, concievably, is the one you got as a Gentleman or Knight, and could be on your birthworld...
The others are scattered about in the system - In the case of Carmel, one's on a moon in the outer binary system to give him a place to oversee that half of things. The other's on outermost moon of the inner system gas giant, both to watch who's skimming and keep an eye on the people mining the Trojans.

What I'd suggest for a bit of fun is to design your Baron's home, and then go back and work out the Land Grants and such. It makes a fun solitaire game. If you're making this char with someone else as GM, verify they're cool, then grind it out as a draft, then sit down and go over it with the GM.

If you're doing this Solo, or because you're planning on running a game later, it's nice material for you. Or a fun solo activity that could branch out into something more useful.
Here's the side effect of my flirtation with Nobility

Back