• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A Test of Time

Enoki

SOC-14 1K
I put up a second novel, based on a game someone ran a few years ago. You can view the original version here if you want:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138360

There are additional chapters to that one... There were some rough spots early on but they smoothed out and the additional chapters went much better.

Anyway, the resulting story focuses on some of the characters involved and the story is changed some.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12159765/1/A-Test-of-Time

This original game, as played, is a "crossover" due to the game and introduces non-Traveller elements in it. (The players were allowed to chose their characters from a number of sources)
The novel is closer to a Travelller based game and has some interesting ideas tossed in.

In chapter 2 the two main characters discuss how a Traveller jump drive works.

The main character "invents" and FTL drive and becomes what in Traveller would be the person who gives the Solomani jump technology. This, you might note, follows the canon timeline fairly closely and the discrepancy in the exact date can easily be explained by simply the amount of time that has passed from when it occurred to "present day."

I read part of A Test of Time (almost midnight, so I will need to finish it another day). Since I am the least of writers, I'll go for the low hanging fruit and pass on advice that people have passed on to me.

Stories tend to be best told in the past tense. The actual dialogue can be whatever the person might say, but they then WENT out the side door rather than GO out the side door.

Go check this against any commercial fiction that you like and see what tense the verbs are in.

I'll take a look at the story in more depth and give you some positive and negative feedback on what seemed to work really well and what parts I had trouble with as soon as I can get some time.

Back