• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Animal Encounters: How do you handle them?

DMC64

SOC-2
I want to run the Mission to Mithril adventure. There are encounter tables that list many different kinds of animals (Hunter, Killer, Chaser, Grazer, etc.). But the adventure only lists two actual animals, the Crystallice (Small Reducer) and the Calamamler (an Intermittent).

How do you handle the other possibilities on the Animal Encounter table? When I looked at Supplement 2 (Animal Encounters), I found the same thing. Lots of tables for different environments with the types of animals to be found there, but not actual descriptions of what those animals are. Is the referee expected to create these for every world?

One other question... On the encounter tables, a number is listed after the die roll. For example, 4 Chasers. What does that mean? Does it mean that, for any encounter, up to 4 individuals might appear? Can't seem to find an answer to that anywhere.

Dan

Page 35 of LBB:3 Worlds is pretty straight forward about how to read the animal encounter tables.

Page 31 of the same is also pretty straight forward about how and when to trigger animal encounters.

The Mission to Mithril table, like all animal encounter tables, list the type of animal encountered. Only a few are named in the color text. Whether an animal has a name or not is irrelevant.

A 1D6 roll of 5 on the Mission to Mithril "Ephemeral Glade" table results in "Very Small Reducers" and the color text below lets you know those reducers are called "Crystallice". The fact that the Crystallice are named while most of the others are not doesn't matter. You still use the stats provided in the table with regards to the animal, named or not.

I want to run the Mission to Mithril adventure. There are encounter tables that list many different kinds of animals (Hunter, Killer, Chaser, Grazer, etc.). But the adventure only lists two actual animals, the Crystallice (Small Reducer) and the Calamamler (an Intermittent).

How do you handle the other possibilities on the Animal Encounter table? When I looked at Supplement 2 (Animal Encounters), I found the same thing. Lots of tables for different environments with the types of animals to be found there, but not actual descriptions of what those animals are. Is the referee expected to create these for every world?

I have several different animal atlases or atlases of wildlife to use to come up with ideas of what various animals indicated by the encounter tables might approximate. Some possibilities for animals do appear in the Journal of the Traveller's Aid Society, and more in the various adventures. Unfortunately, for any given world, the referee is left to his or her own imagination as to how the various animals may look.

One other question... On the encounter tables, a number is listed after the die roll. For example, 4 Chasers. What does that mean? Does it mean that, for any encounter, up to 4 individuals might appear? Can't seem to find an answer to that anywhere.

Dan

Looking at the example given in LBB 3: Worlds and Adventures page 35, the number after the die roll indicates the number of animals encountered, so in your example, it would be 4 chasers. Now, if you wish, you could vary the number by allowing any number between 1 to 4 to appear, using a 4-sided die for the roll. I would modify the chaser to a weight of 20 Kilograms, rather than the 200, as assuming a mammalian form of predator, each 200 kilogram chaser is going to require about 2000 kilograms of prey animal per year. Mithril's climate is not the type to support large numbers of herbivores in any given area, as it is essentially an Arctic biome, not an African savanna or an American Great Plains, with large numbers of large herbivores.

My recommendation for Mithril is to reduce the mass of the predators by a factor of 10 unless you are in a coastal hex, where the possibility of larger sea mammals or creatures would exist. This would put the 80 kilogram hunter at about the size of a leopard or mountain lion, the 40 kilogram killer as a larger version of the wolverine, and the 20 kilogram chasers as large foxes or average coyotes. That brings them in line with the 100 to 200 kilogram grazers. The 100 kilogram grazers would be roughly comparable to caribou or reindeer, with the 200 kilogram grazers smaller musk oxen or yaks. If you go with the larger predators, then maybe boost one of the grazers to closer to 500 to 1000 kilograms and come up with some form of vegetation for them to eat.

If in a coastal hex, then treat the 200 kilogram grazers as seals, with adjusted weapons, and boost the 100 kilogram grazers to 1000 kilograms, and treat as walrus or elephant seals. Also, when it comes to figuring edible portions of a carcass, a D4 +1 is a very good approximation, especially for larger animals.

Edit Note: I should add that I have Mission to Mithril both on my computer and in about 3 hard copies. It is a good introductory adventure. You might also want to figure about 2 to 3 kilograms of meat per day per person for an adequate ration.

Last edited:
Is the referee expected to create these for every world?

Dan
Short answer - yes.

Long answer -
The referee must create a series of unique encounter tables, one set for each world in the universe (not necessarily all are necessary before play begins). Each set consists of one encounter column for each relevant terrain type of the worldGenerally, a referee will conceal the exact details of these encounter columns, so that persons will only have clues as to the relative abundance or scarcity of specific animals in any specific area.

You can use the same encounter tables for similar environments on different worlds, describe the critters differently each time and you are good to go
Or you can just have a generic table and wing it as the situation requires.

It boils down to what your players are up to. If they are interested in safaris, hunting and exploring the wilds - or are stranded and required by the adventure to do so - then it may be worth the effort.
If they stick to towns and cities it isn't necessary at all.

Back