• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Children's Stats and Skills

Infant 111111

Age categories
0-3
4-6
7-9
10-12
13-15
16-18

At the end of each age category roll 2d6 and add at least 1 to each stat in order ????

Or simply add 1 to each stat per age category which would leave the 18 y/o with an "average joe" of 777777 ???? :CoW: Want to be a Traveller? Roll 2d6 and adds the points as you see fit.

Depends if they are male or female as well. Most females reach their adult size at between 13 and 15 or so, while males continue to grow through their early 20s. That deals with the physical data. For females, roll 1D6 at nine, and 1D6 at 15 and that is it. For males, roll 1D6 at 12, 1D6 at 18, and 1D6 at 22, or the end of his first term. You might want to hold dexterity for males at 2D6.

For education, role 1D6 for that up to 12, and then another 1D6 for that up to age 18. College would add to that.

For intelligence, role 2D6 and figure that is their adult potential, as they mature and gain more experience.

As for Social Standing, roll the standard 2D6 and proceed to march.

I suppose if we were going to be hardcore about it, we would need the reverse of the Aging Table. Roll per term.

111111 starting out to age 2, Baby term survival roll 7- or TL+2-, whichever is better.

4 terms, to age 6/10/14/18.

Survival roll 10- or TL+4-, whichever is better.

7+ per term per characteristic other then SOC, + 1d6/2 round up for success to that characteristic.

Roll SOC 2d6, then roll 10+ for SOC change. 1-3 -1 SOC, 4-6 +SOC.

Seven stages of growing up?

We develop physically and mentally at different rates, plateau and then degenerate.

Part of the problem is accounting for the disparity in characteristics once you hit eighteen.

mqdefault.jpg

Hmmm. No standard method.

To me starting at birth as 11110X as EDU is cultural and SOC is parental (possibly less a bit). Lord X is Lord Y's son so he isn't going to have a SOC of 1. By implication, most Nobles start at SOC:A until they get a (courtesy) title (possibly just a few minutes later).

I'll take the rest under advisement...bearing in mind that some classes allow starting at 14!

I can see that INT and DEX might appear at adult values earlier than STR or END. And formal EDU probably goes almost nowhere until aged 5.

Survival rolls would be interesting - DMs would be tricky as the child has such low stats. And TLs that don't have anti-biotics are not good at all for early survival (0-2) and poor for for the next term (3-6)!

Hmmm. No standard method.

To me starting at birth as 11110X as EDU is cultural and SOC is parental (possibly less a bit). Lord X is Lord Y's son so he isn't going to have a SOC of 1. By implication, most Nobles start at SOC:A until they get a (courtesy) title (possibly just a few minutes later).

I'll take the rest under advisement...bearing in mind that some classes allow starting at 14!

I can see that INT and DEX might appear at adult values earlier than STR or END. And formal EDU probably goes almost nowhere until aged 5.

Survival rolls would be interesting - DMs would be tricky as the child has such low stats. And TLs that don't have anti-biotics are not good at all for early survival (0-2) and poor for for the next term (3-6)!

I didn't touch the whole background skills thing for ChildGen, if you are running terms that's a possibility.

Your Social Standing goes up if you win a beauty contest, though less likely with a spelling bee, though both might come with a cash price and a scholarship.

Successful junior athlete, ice skating champion, captain of the football team.

Your parents decide to pack up the family, go on an extended cruise and homeschool you.

You come from a prominent political dynasty, and are groomed to step on that career ladder.

Your health is less than optimum, growing up on a polluted industrial planet.

The possibilities are wide open.

Not to mention opening new marketing frontiers.

Traveller- the game that can kill chargen during childhood.

OK - So after all that advice, I think I could argue for (Humans) [using Mongoose Rules as the basis for skills]:

Age..|STR...|DEX|END.|INT.|EDU.|SOC|PSI..|Skills
0-1...|1.......|1....|1.....|1....|0.....|2D..|0....|
2-5...|.........|1D..|1D..|1D...|1....|......|......|Native Language; 1 Skill**
6-9...|1D.....|+1D|......|+1D|1D..|......|......|0-2 Skills**
10-13|F+1D|.......|+1D|......|......|......|1*..|
14-17|M+1D|......|......|......|+1D|......|2D*|0-2 Skills**

*Which you may never realise
**Driven by change in EDU DM

0: Set to exactly 0
1: Set to exactly 1
1D: Set to exactly the value of the roll of 1D
2D: Set to exactly the value of the roll of 2D
+1D: Add the second roll of 1D
M+1D:Add the second roll of 1D only if male
F+1D:Add the second roll of 1D only if female

there are articles for child chargen in:

the space gamer 73
for ages 14-18

and the travellers digest 15
pregnancy thru adult

the Clement sector stuff based on the Cepheus engine also has childhood tables that can affect the stats and life events. Some are pretty grim actually.

Hopefully 2-11: Nothing happens
12: Roll on separate table for disastrous childhood!

(which is probably an overstatement of the bad things happen rate)

What little interaction I have had with the family court system has, however, convinced me that the fiction may understate the reality.

Particularly if your SOC and/or INT and/or EDU are low or lower.

Not to mention opening new marketing frontiers.

Traveller- the game that can kill chargen during childhood.

You mean the game that can kill children during chargen ;-)

OK - So after all that advice, I think I could argue for (Humans) [using Mongoose Rules as the basis for skills]:

Age..|STR...|DEX|END.|INT.|EDU.|SOC|PSI..|Skills
0-1...|1.......|1....|1.....|1....|0.....|2D..|0....|
2-5...|.........|1D..|1D..|1D...|1....|......|......|Native Language; 1 Skill**
6-9...|1D.....|+1D|......|+1D|1D..|......|......|0-2 Skills**
10-13|F+1D|.......|+1D|......|......|......|1*..|
14-17|M+1D|......|......|......|+1D|......|2D*|0-2 Skills**

*Which you may never realise
**Driven by change in EDU DM

0: Set to exactly 0
1: Set to exactly 1
1D: Set to exactly the value of the roll of 1D
2D: Set to exactly the value of the roll of 2D