• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Classic Traveller Facsimile Edition pod at drivethru.

I mentioned it a couple months ago when I got a printer's proof copy from Marc. It's nicely bound, but as most square bindings, isn't big enough to lie flat.

It's VERY useful for running (or in my case referencing for answering others questions) CT with errata.
He is considering, last I heard, a revised text with integrated errata, as well.

Again, what I would dearly love to see is an errata-fixed, updated version of The Traveller Book. Not just Books 1-3, but the whole The Traveller Book. Including the red highlights.

Bonus points for including an errata-fixed Citizens of the Imperium section of the SMC as an appendix to The Traveller Book. That would be outstanding.

I just ordered the POD/PDF edition. Has anyone received the POD yet and can you comment on the quality? Also, is there any news on the revised text with integrated errata version that might be in the works? Thanks again.

BTW - this is my first foray into Traveller. I am currently going through the PDF and liking it so far.

I just ordered the POD/PDF edition. Has anyone received the POD yet and can you comment on the quality? Also, is there any news on the revised text with integrated errata version that might be in the works? Thanks again.

BTW - this is my first foray into Traveller. I am currently going through the PDF and liking it so far.
Yes, I have the PoD. Signed by Marc. The new book smell is still present. The coverstock is glossy, and slightly lighter weight than I prefer (I prefer 110 to 150 lb stock, it feels more like 90lb) Its a square binding, appears to be gluebinding, not true perfect binding. (PB is stitched folios glued into a cover; glue binding is cut edges glued directly in.)

The print registration is good, the text very readable, and it's 8 15/16" × 5 29/32"... Yes, I just measured. For practical purposes, 6×9". I can't get to my LBBs to measure them, but they're pretty close to 5.5×8.5".

I they didn't mention that they were talking about a re-typeset version, I'd consider getting this.

Oh, heck. The printed version is $12 right now. Why not.

I received my print-on-demand edition today and couldn't be happier. I have received many blurry, poorly bound, and damaged products from Drivethru in the past - but this one is of high quality. The scans are clean, and the book is bound nicely and came undamaged. I don't know how it compares to the original because I never had one, but I would recommend it to anyone who wants a new rulebook.

Does anyone know if any more rules will be reprinted? Thanks!

Yep, a buck is pretty cheap, the wait time for the pod is crazy, 4-6 weeks and dtrpg says it might take another 2. Looking at my library, I think it said I have 176 titles, and probably another 40-50 at itch, that is more than I will ever get to reading again probably. Doesn't even count the disks I bought from Marc either.

So, it's here. And it's delightful.

IMG_3466.jpeg

This thing is the perfect size. It's singular issue is the binding doesn't let it lay flat, and it's small so that it won't stay open on its own. But that's a very minor nit. If it bothers you that much, go to FedEx Kinkos, have them cut the binding and spiral bind the pages. Honestly I think it's better than the LBB. Here, it's all contained. All in one. Super convenient and portable.

IMG_3467.jpeg

The text is nice and clear. The page numbers are per book, save for the errata. But this also just give you a better idea of its size.

IMG_3468.jpeg

Pardon the shadow, but you can see how the errata in applied. There's two types of errata. There's the change bar errata like this. This refers to a page in the back of the book with the actual update. The other errata is in place, and not called out in the text, but is noted in the back with a checkmark. Lightly confusing is that the page numbers in the errata represent the absolute page in the book, not the relative page in the individual books. But, this isn't that big a deal since you come from where the errata referenced, rather than work backward.

IMG_3469.jpeg

Naturally, I have the PDFs, but this is better. It's a tangible good. Hands on. You want to touch this thing and flip through it. The universe in your hands. At $12 (last check for the POD), this is an absolute steal. I think it's normally $20. Heck, it's getting hard to get out of a fast food restaurant for $20.

IMG_3470.jpeg

I don't have any dice handy, but the point is there. This is all you need.

To be honest, I don't know if I'd want books 4-8 like this. I certainly wouldn't want a complete, single volume of Books 1-8 like this. It's too big. Too much, too unwieldly. There's a purity to just having the 3 books here.

Little late for Christmas, but if you know someone that might like something like this, it would be an amazing gift. Especially a young person.

It's complete, it's all there, it's portable, no need for spreadsheets, or a book bag, or GHz processors. Just a little free time, a pair of dice, and some imagination.

LWB is a winner.

Literally the only thing I would want to add to this is the CotI bows and careers from Supplement 4/Spinward Marches Campaign added.

Unfortunately, to do that would require using the skill tables from Supplement 4, but the other tables (ranks, sidenotes, stuff like that) from Spinward Marches Campaign, as there were several fixes in there. What do I mean by "fixes"? Lemme give two examples:
- In SMC, careers without ranks get two skills per term; in Supp4 they do not.
- In SMC, each rank for Warrior (and for any career with ranks), each rank gets a title. In Supp4 they do not.

So, it would require some non-trivial reformatting to make it all work. Nothing killer, but something that would require real effort.

Literally the only thing I would want to add to this is the CotI bows and careers from Supplement 4/Spinward Marches Campaign added.

Unfortunately, to do that would require using the skill tables from Supplement 4, but the other tables (ranks, sidenotes, stuff like that) from Spinward Marches Campaign, as there were several fixes in there. What do I mean by "fixes"? Lemme give two examples:
- In SMC, careers without ranks get two skills per term; in Supp4 they do not.
- In SMC, each rank for Warrior (and for any career with ranks), each rank gets a title. In Supp4 they do not.

So, it would require some non-trivial reformatting to make it all work. Nothing killer, but something that would require real effort.

THIS.

Hi all. I found this game only recently by random happenstance and couldn't believe it had passed me by for over 40 years. Anyway, I got the "Facsimile Edition" PDF from DriveThruRPG and loved it so much that I printed, folded, and stapled my own personal litte "samizdat" version.

ctfax1.jpg

I started with only Book 1 but soon added the others with the new front matter and errata as an extra booklet. The covers got the good paper stock while the insides are regular "eco" paper.

ctfax2.jpg

ctfax3.jpg

I love how each book has exactly 48 pages, but here's a little coup: I think I dropped one blank page and the front matter plus errata came out the same number of pages, folding open right in the middle. Thus this booklet serves as a sort of sleeve for the others. I even gave the "sleeve" an extra fold for a back and, in a fit of dedication, hand-copied the logo text onto it.
ctfax4.jpg

So here I am, working through the text of Book 3, hoping to run this soon. I've generated my first 12 characters, four sadly killed during service. I did a few rounds of fighting "in the simulator" between the others. I think I'm fine with the standard space ship designs for the beginning, but I want to generate a subsector of worlds next.

ctfax5.jpg
ctfax6.jpg

Anyway, there you have it. Thanks to Marc and FFE for making this available. Making it my own like this has already been a special experience. <3

ctfax7.jpg

Back