• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Classic Traveller Online Game Seeking Players

NickP

SOC-9
Mustered Out on Regina

Your Commanding Officer shakes you firmly by the hand, thanks you for all the years of fine service and wishes you well for your future.

“So what do you plan on doing now?” he asks you. “Where do you see yourself five years from now?”

His words are still on your mind as you awake the next day, feeling a little groggy after the celebrations with your former colleagues.

Former. The word sticks in your mind. You have no colleagues any more. For the first time since you were 18, you’re all on your own.

You’ve been looking forward to this day for longer than you care to remember. But now it has arrived, the sense of freedom is almost overbearing.

“Today is the first day of the rest of your life.”

You’ve heard the cliché a hundred times before. But today it is true. Everything’s different now. You are free to make your own choices in life from now on. No one is going to give you any orders any more – it’s all down to you.

So where are you going to go from here? The possibilities are endless. You can do whatever you want to do. Go wherever you want to go. Be whoever you want to be. So what do you want to do? You can’t make your dreams come true without having those dreams to begin with.

“A journey of a thousand parsecs starts with just a single step.”

- - - - - -

One of the greatest attractions of Traveller for me has always been the almost infinite amount of possibilities that the game presents, allowing players to choose their own path in life from a universe of options.

So what does your character really want to achieve now that he has mustered out?

Does he want to get rich beyond his wildest dreams? If so, does he care whether he stays on the ‘right side of the law’ in the process, or is he prepared to bend it a little?

Does he want to explore new worlds? Devote himself to righting wrongs? Resolve some unfinished business from his past? Educate himself by seeking the answers to some of life’s mysteries?

Mustered Out on Regina (MOoR) is a campaign that will not take characters down a pre-defined path, but rather will make the most of the open nature of the Traveller universe by allowing characters to achieve their individual goals.

- - - - - -

MOoR is a new campaign that will be using the Classic Traveller rules and will be set at the start of 1105 with the players beginning on Regina in the Spinward Marches.

The game will be run online every Sunday starting from 6 February 2011 at the following times:

GMT: 18.00
EST: 13.00
PST: 10.00

If you are not going to be free to play at these times for the vast majority of Sundays then, I am sorry, but the game is not going to work out for you.

The game will be played using a Virtual Tabletop program called Gametable. I have selected this program to use because:

(a) It is completely free to use, and;
(b) It is the simplest program of its type, with the shallowest learning curve that I have been able to find.

For more information on Gametable, please see:

http://gametable.sourceforge.net/Gametable/Home.html

I am looking to create a party of between two and eight players. The type of players that I am looking for are as follows:

(a) Patient. The last time that I played Traveller was in 1981 so I am a little rusty regarding the rules, to say the least, and a lot has happened to the game over the past 30 years.. I DM’ed a highly-rated AD&D PBeM campaign a decade ago which generated over a million words of content during the 4 years that it lasted and so I am very experienced at running games, but will need a little time to get back up to speed with Traveller and the changeover to a realtime Virtual Tabletop format. Having researched the current state of the game, I can see that there are a lot of players out there who have an incredible knowledge of the game and the setting. If you’re one of them then great – I would really love to have you participating in the game providing you understand that I’ve been out of the loop for the past three decades.

(b) Mature. I’m 46. I don’t want to be completely ‘ageist’ by setting a minimum age for players, but I would say that the way that I am intending the game to play out would be more of interest to other mature players than to ‘youngsters’ for whom the ‘winning’ is more important than the ‘playing’.

(c) Good role-players. From my previous experience of PBeM’s, I learned that they are very good for role-playing and not so good for combat compared to face-to-face games. Although the virtual tabletop format should make combat more interesting, I am still intending on running a game with the focus more on role-playing and creating a great story with great characters rather than leaping from one combat to the next. So if combat’s your thing, you’ll probably be better off sticking with some MMORPG which are better suited for this type of play.

(d) Relaxed. I had some bad experiences with my old PBeM’s where some players took things far too seriously which resulted in some serious ego-clashes. I am really looking for players who understand that the goal of the game is just to have fun in a friendly and cooperative environment.

System: I am open to suggestions from more experienced players, but currently I am looking at running the game using vanilla Classic Traveller rules, plus Snapshot rules for combat (these are very simple and I can provide a copy of the rules for those who are not familiar with them).

Interested? Then please contact me in any of the following ways with any questions you might have:

(a) By sending me a personal message via this board
(b) Emailing me at nick[at]pendrell[dot]com
(c) On Skype – my username there is: npendrell

Please tell me a little about yourself when you contact me together with your history of playing Traveller.

My plan is to solo play each player for a while to familiarize everyone with the Gametable system and introduce the players to one another so that we can all hit the ground running on 6 February.

Many thanks for reading through this and I look forward to hearing from interested players soon.

Thanks everyone for responding. The game has now reached its limit and so I won't be taking on any more players at the moment.

There is always some fall out with a new game and so, if you are interested, please contact me and I will put you on a waiting list to add you whenever there is a spare place.

The game has now been running for a little over a month and everyone seems pretty happy with it from the level of participation we're getting.

You can check on the progress of the game to date at:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/moor

As is often the case with games in their early stages, however, one of the players has dropped out.

As a result, we are currently looking for one new player to join the party.

If you're interested, please refer to the original post in this thread and, if you tick all of the boxes, please drop me a line using one of the methods I described above.

Last edited:
A position in the game has become available once again following one of the players dropping out.

The party is currently in need of an engineer and so that would be the most useful type of character to have. The party is currently in prison and so this is where the beginning character will begin as well (whether the character really did commit a crime or whether he was wrongly accused - that will be up to the player to decide).

All of the information that I posted originally in this thread is still valid. We are still playing the game via the Gametable virtual tabletop program every Sunday (the exact time on a Sunday will depend on your timezone).

Over the four months that the game has been running, a strong PbP element has also evolved, with most players posting once or twice per day in order to keep the game moving between sessions. In such a way, the pace of the game is pretty brisk.

One other thing I would mention at this stage is that MTU has turned out to be a pretty grim place and rewards don't come easily to the party so, if you're looking for a game where 'winning' is more important than the experience, then this campaign is probably not the one you're looking for.

If you have any questions, please firstly check out the game's website at:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/moor

Then feel free to contact me using any of the methods as outlined above if you require more information.

I just wanted to give this a quick bump up to the top of the pile to let everyone know that we are still short one player if anyone has the time and inclination.

The main problem, I know, is that a lot of potential players aren't free on Sundays. If you are though, then it would be great to have you onboard.

The timings depend on your timezone:

UK and Europe: Evenings
East Coast: Afternoons
West Coast: Mornings

All of the information in the original ad is still valid.

Ahoy!

Currently reading your campaign blog and trying to get a better grasp of the rules/setting/party. Are they still in need of a Ship's Engineer type? (Note that the link to Gametable on your wiki is broken, sourceforge claims to not have any idea where that file is...)

Last edited:
Just a quick bump and to say that we are short of a player again in case anyone is interested and is free to play most Sundays at the times mentioned in the initial posting.

All of the other info here is still valid, although my email address is now nick[at]pendrell[dot]me if anyone wants to ask any questions or to apply to fill the vacant position.

joining

Hi Nick,

I see that you have reached your player limit. Just wanted to let you know that I am interested in a standby position should an opening become available.

Thanks!

Blanton

Did you read about the start times for the Sunday Sessions:

01800GMT
1300EST
1000PST

Would you be able to make those times on the majority of Sundays for around four hours each time?

Would you be able to post at least once per day to the PbP element to the game which runs for the rest of the week?

If so, let's talk a but more.

If you have Skype, add me on: npendrell

Google Chat: nick.pendrell[at]gmail[dot] com

Email: nick[at]pendrell[dot]me

I would love to play. I just need to know if the platform is safe to run.

Jeff

It's a pretty popular format which has been developed over many years and they will soon be going over to 3.0.

We've all been using it for over a year now and we've had no difficulties with it So I am pretty sure that it's safe.

Back