• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Compressing the UWP for 8-bit machines

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
I'm writing a trade sim for the Commodore 64, because (1) I like Traveller and (2) I like the C64 (nostalgia and a bit of a programming challenge).

The UWP has grown in the past decade. Most of this data is not important for a basic trading game. Here it is:

1910 Regina A788899-C Ri Pa Ph An Cp (Amindii)2 Varg0 Asla0 Sa { 4 } (D7E+5) [9C6D] BcCeF NS - 703 8 ImDd F7 V BD M3 V

I'm open to bright ideas about ways to compress this record, which are not too taxing on an 8-bit program. But first, some things to think about.

DISK ACCESS IS SLOW

The C64 disk drive is slow. Yes, emulation mode eases this some, but time is time. I typically lump worlds in subsector-sized files and name them with an x,y subsector index for easy access.

DISK SPACE IS PRECIOUS

How precious?

If I'm hardcore about it, I have 174k on one diskette. If I'm slightly less hardcore, I can use an 800k diskette. But for the moment I'm going to use just one diskette for the program and the data.

WHAT ABOUT TAPE?

I haven't tried it, but storing the data on a tape image might be better. One potential bottleneck is its linear nature. Anyway, even if tape works out, I'll still compress the UWP a bit because... well because these systems are slow, even when emulated.

MEMORY IS PRECIOUS

I've got 38k RAM, into which I shove subsets of my program and data at various times.

So nothing too fancy.

Next post I'll talk about whittling down the UWP first.

I. A BYTE SAVED IS A BYTE EARNED

The easiest place to start is throwing out un-needed data.

1910 Regina A788899-C Ri Pa Ph An Cp (Amindii)2 Varg0 Asla0 Sa { 4 } (D7E+5) [9C6D] BcCeF NS - 703 8 ImDd F7 V BD M3 V

That's Regina. What do we care about?

(a) I need the UWP
(b) I need the world name
- But let's reduce it to 15 characters or so?
(c) I don't think I need all of the UPP (!)
- I want the starport code and TL.
(d) I don't need all of the remarks.
- I want the 12 used in the trade rules.
- A couple of the others would be nice (Sa).
- Say we can have a maximum of 5.
(e) Importance might be nice, might not matter.
(f) I don't think I need the Extension codes.
(g) I don't think I need the Nobility codes.
(h) I need the base codes
(i) I want the travel zone
(j) I want the belts and GGs count, but I don't think I need the pop mult.
(k) I'd like to have the number of worlds.
(l) I'd like to have the two-character allegience code.
(m) I'd like to have the stellar data

That cuts the UWP down a bit.

Code:
1910 Regina        A788899-C Ri Cp Sa       { 4 } NS - 703 8 Im F7 V BD M3 V

Remove unneeded spaces and braces where they don't matter.

Code:
1910Regina         A788899-C RiCpSa   4NS-7038ImF7VBD M3V

Last edited:
II. ABBREVIATE

Lots of ways to compress, and it's always a tradeoff of speed and efficiency. Here, we have to go for speed, so these are quick and dirty.

1. Compress the Hex.

If we assume a subsector file, whose name contains the subsector's own coordinate offset into the galaxy, then hex is 0101 thru 0810. We can compress that down to two characters (or even one if we really had to):

1-9 is 01 - 09
A is 10.

Code:
1ARegina         A788899-C RiCpSa   4NS-7038ImF7VBD M3V

2. World name

If I assume it's okay to have one record per line, versus a fixed-size record, I can put the world name at the end. This drops the average record length while also allowing very long names in rare cases. This is a form of "free" Huffman coding.

Code:
1AA788899-C RiCpSa   4NS-7038ImF7VBD M3VRegina

3. Let's drop the star numbers. Three more characters saved.

Code:
1AA788899-C RiCpSa   4NS-7038ImFVBDMVRegina

4. If we've only got a dozen or so remark codes, let's shorten them to one character each and manage collisions gracefully. Five characters saved.

Code:
1AA788899-C RCS  4NS-7038ImFVBDMVRegina

You don't need the trade codes since you can calculate them from the UPP?

Save the UPP as a number, perhaps with 4 bytes per hex-digit, that way it fits into a 32-bit number.

The sector coordinates fits into less than 16-bits (11 bits?) as a number.

Do you really need the stellar info?

I. A BYTE SAVED IS A BYTE EARNED

The easiest place to start is throwing out un-needed data.

That's Regina. What do we care about?

(a) I need the UWP
(b) I need the world name
- But let's reduce it to 15 characters or so?
(c) I don't think I need all of the UPP (!)
- I want the starport code and TL.
(d) I don't need all of the remarks.
- I want the 12 used in the trade rules.
- A couple of the others would be nice (Sa).
- Say we can have a maximum of 5.
(e) Importance might be nice, might not matter.
(f) I don't think I need the Extension codes.
(g) I don't think I need the Nobility codes.
(h) I need the base codes
(i) I want the travel zone
(j) I want the belts and GGs count, but I don't think I need the pop mult.
(k) I'd like to have the number of worlds.
(l) I'd like to have the two-character allegience code.
(m) I'd like to have the stellar data

That cuts the UWP down a bit.

Code:
1910 Regina        A788899-C Ri Cp Sa       { 4 } NS - 703 8 Im F7 V BD M3 V

Remove unneeded spaces and braces where they don't matter.

Code:
1910Regina         A788899-C RiCpSa   4NS-7038ImF7VBD M3V

You really don't need the stellar data unless you're enforcing the 100 diameter limit on the star, in which case you need to know the orbit number, but orbit number is not stored in even the current UWP.

Likewise, the trade codes which are UWP derived can be deleted and generated on the fly, sacrificing speed for compactness of storage.
Or, not stored on disk, and recalculated on load. (noting the 1541 buffers, and the bottleneck is getting between the 1541 and the C64; both of them are faster than the serial connection between them).

You don't need the trade codes since you can calculate them from the UPP?

Save the UPP as a number, perhaps with 4 bytes per hex-digit, that way it fits into a 32-bit number.

only needs 1 byte per code as is.
Also, C64 BASIC (I somehow doubt Rob's using ASM) doesn't handle Int32; it limits to sInt16, with no provision for uInt16. Strings are 1 byte length and the content bytes in PETSCII. Floats are a 1 byte exponent and 4 byte mantissa
Floats are very memory lossy, especially given 38 KB functional memory; one is better off using an int with 0-32 + (0-32*32) (12/16 bits) or (0-16)+(0-16*16)+(0-16*256) (15/16 bits), both fitting into a 2 byte memory word, as opposed to a 5 byte float; the 5 byte float is 1 byte longer than 2 ints, for the same data in the 5 bit wordspace.
Strings are somewhat better, but typecasting is absent, and bitwise operations are a pain, so...

Barring extensions, if you stick to LBBs, the base stats of the UPP are only 4 bits.

Hex: 2 byte, row and column.
Name: Actual length + \0 or prefixed with length byte.
UWP: 4 bytes. Each attribute is 4 bits. Sorry, no TL 16+ for you.
Trade codes are either calculated on the fly, or a 2 byte bit-set, allowing 16 different codes.
PBG: 2 bytes, if you don't want P, then 1 byte. With 2 bytes, you can get P, B, G and number of worlds.
Base Codes, Allegiance and Travel Zone can be coded in to 2 bytes. Allegiance is a reference to a table of codes, not the codes themselves (0 == Imperial, 1 == Zhodani, whatever). Use a limited list, not "for the imperium", but "for the sector".

Note, for a sector, the Hex needs only 11 bits, so you can probably readily squeeze Allegiance or Travel Zone in to the remaining 5 (3 bits for Allegiance -- 8 of them, 2 for zone).

So, excluding the name, each system is: 2 (Hex) + 4 (UWP) + 2 (Trade Codes) + 2 (PBGW) + 2 (Base/Alleg/TZ) = 12. If you're frugal, you can squeeze in a reference to the subsector name with 4 bits. Otherwise, add a byte and get some more bits to play with. We'll call it 13 for now.

Spinward Marches has 439 systems. 5707 bytes.

SM names are 2791 bytes + 439 for length, 3230. But it's not a fixed length structure, so you'd need to crawl through it to search it easily.

If you don't use an entire sector as your playground, but, say, a quadrant, then you'll be under 256 systems, which will help with system references.

With 256 systems, you could create an index by system name, with a single byte to act as a reference to the actual system. Really kind of depends on how often you need to search by system name. Arguably, you never do, but even if you did, having a sorted list in memory will facilitate that readily. Even though the names aren't fixed length, you can still do a binary search on a sorted list. You just need to look back to find the start of each row when you jump around. No big deal.

SM names are 2791. 15 character names * 439 = 6585. Lots of wasted space.

I'm assuming you don't need to search for system names because you always know what system you're in, you always know what systems are nearby. So, you don't need to search for names that often, you can just show them off of lists and such.

So, with that in mind.

Your system record will have 13 bytes for the main data, add 2 more for a pointer to the system name. This is a fixed length array, so each system is identified by its 1 byte system number. The systems are stored in Hex order.

The names are store with a leading length, with the hi bit set, and the name is followed by the system number.

So, Regina, is system #61. Regina is 6 long. So its length is 128 (hi bit) + 6 = 134.

So, the bytes for Regina are: 134 R e g i n a 61 (sorry I didn't want to suss out the ascii for the letters).

Here's why the length has the hi bit set. If you decide to search for a name, and decide to use a binary search, then when you jump "to the middle" of a segment, you'll likely just land in the middle of a name. So you need a marker to delimit the records. When you land, you scan backwards until you hit a number that's > 128. If you land ON a number that's great than 128, simply check the NEXT number. If it is also > 128, then you have a system number (and you should scan back). Otherwise you're at at the beginning of a row, and don't need to scan at all. Bullseye.

If you don't need to search for names, you can eliminate the system # and the hi bit length shenanigans.

If you use 2 bytes for the system number, then for your system number, don't set the hi bit for the second byte. Move that bit in to the high byte. So, for system 400, 400 / 128 = 3. 400 mod 128 = 16. High byte is 3, low byte is 16. System # is hi byte * 128 + low byte.

So, Spinward Marches.

439 systems.

15 byte/system = 6585
2791 for the names + 439 for length byte + 878 for system byte = 4108

Total 10693. That's for the entire sector, thats for the Spinward Marches. Different for different sectors. You could do a quadrant in 3K, probably.

If you want to go for an on disk format, it would cost a more memory overall, but you wouldn't need it all in at the same time. I'd use fixed length formats, and waste the space for the name in that case, but you'd lose that white space when you load it.

Disk is slow, but that can be mitigated if you're willing to dedicate some RAM to page buffers and a simple LRU caching mechanism. It's also important to take the time to access the disk intelligently. So, if you wanted to load the data for 5 different systems, it's worth your time to sort the requests to the disk in the order that the system appear on the disk vs just randomly accessing the drive.

That should be enough ideas for now.

Oh, one more thing.

Also remember.

A C-64 is slow. Really slow. Watching paint dry and grass grow slow. However slow it was in the day, it's 10000% more slow now because we're using to machines that are 10000% faster. Now only are machines 10000% faster today, we humans are REALLY jaded. I personally find it very hard to use vintage machines for anything more than sculpture today.

So, keep that in mind when you're staring at the disk light waiting for 10K of data to load, while timing it with a sand filled egg timer. The C-64 disk drives stream about 2K of data per second, not counting seek time.

Bitwise operations can be done pretty easily with math using *, +, -, and mod operators. I assume Rob doesn't want to manually pack data into 8-bit spaces?

Can you further pack system names? Don't use ASCII or PETSCII or whatever, but use your own 5-bit-per-character mapping? A-Z plus space only? (27 possibilities, fits in 5 bits per character with room for a few extra characters in the space if you want to specially map them).

00000 NUL (string terminator)
00001 A
00010 B
00011 C
11010 Z
11011 SP (space)
11100 ' (apostrophe)
11101 - (hyphen)
11110 * (asterisk)
11111 ! (exclamation point)

You'll have to write a shift and add packing routine, but you can compress all of the Spinward Marches system name data (2854 characters) into 920 16-bit ints (including null-terminators) and store that in a single binary file.

You can keep that packed in memory, if you need to. Then cache an array of bit offsets into that packed data (array of 439 ints with a max offset less than the 14709 bit size of the packed data), or do a sequential search counting 00000 null sequences each time you need a system name (might be too slow).

Also, C64 BASIC (I somehow doubt Rob's using ASM) doesn't handle Int32; it limits to sInt16, with no provision for uInt16. Strings are 1 byte length and the content bytes in PETSCII.
Can't we store the numbers in the string and store and access with ASC and CHR?

Picking out a nibble would only be question of dividing 16?

Picking out a nibble would only be question of dividing 16?

The problem is there are several 5 bit values, and several 4 bit values.
You can safely pack 3 5-bit words into a 16 bit sInt16. It's keeping track of which and how far they go, and which editions you want compatibility with.

Since Rob's using the T5 format, we need to allow sizes to 15 (still 4-bit), and TL's to 20 (5 bit).
Now, Stellar types can be stored in two bytes -

Color:none O B A F G K M BD : 4 bits...
Size: Ia Ib II III IV V VI D : 8 values. If we count up from zero, and assume
color Decimal: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 : 4 bits

Packing for storage, it's easy to use the bitwise in a string, but using ints in arrays is comparable, and saves code space.

So, making the easiest CCCCCSSSDDDD

Given Star 1 as S(1)%
To extract the Color.
C% = (S(1)% AND 6944) / 128

To extract the size
S%= (S(1)% AND 224) / 16.

To extract the decimal
D% = S(1)% AND 15

For workability, either you're extracting these to integers and using them... or extracting them to a string.

It's easiest just to use the numbers
A working array can be had for the UWP without packing, and leaving off the name,
U%(0,n) Hexnumber
U%(1,n) Starport
U%(2,n) Size
U%(3,n) Atm
U%(4,n) Hydrographics
U%(5,n) Population
U%(6,n) Government
U%(7,n) Law Level
U%(8,n) Tech Level
U%(9,n) Gas Giants
U%(10,n) Belts
U%(11,n) Worlds
U%(12,n) Bases (easy enough to extract in this case at each use)
U%(13,n) Allgience
U%(14,n) Tradecodes (the 13 standard trade influencers, bitwise)
u%(15,n) Star 1
u%(16,n) Star 2
u%(17,n) Star 3
u%(18,n) Star 4

So about 40 bytes per world, counting overhead...bit-banging can compress that to about 17, but at a significant loss of speed. Adding names adds 3+length Bytes per world... essentially instantly doubling the size of the database.

so 80 B per world x a subsector (80) 1600 B.... just shy of 1.6 KB semicompressed,
25600 B, or 25 KB. And half of that's the names.
And the names can be compressed for storage easily - but that's not a great idea. 58 significant characters; we can fit the needed characters into a 6-bit by subtraction/addition of 32. but it only compresses 4:3 (75%) over actual strings... better packig loses lower case and saves 1 bit. Which gets 3:2 (66%).

It's 3 operations per value packed other than the LSW. Which makes it slow things way down.

It's a balancing act between speed and size.

Whartung said:
PBG: 2 bytes, if you don't want P, then 1 byte. With 2 bytes, you can get P, B, G and number of worlds.

Yes, I previously compressed B, G, and (I think) bases into one overloaded byte. I'm all in favor of that kind of thing.

I also reduced B and G to simply the presence of them (i.e. a flag, a la the LBBs).

Whartung again said:
So, keep that in mind when you're staring at the disk light waiting for 10K of data to load, while timing it with a sand filled egg timer. The C-64 disk drives stream about 2K of data per second, not counting seek time.

I use VICE, and heartily recommend an emulator like it or one of your preference. http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/

Aramis said:
You don't need the stellar data...

This is true, and I have thought hard about that. For some reason, I like knowing what the star is. Even if I scrap my simple graphics and go completely the Tradewars route and have a text-only program, it still is nice color, so to speak.

Aramis said:
I doubt Rob is going to use ASM...

I do have some, and more is an option if there's a serious need for it... and it's easier than it used to be with in-line tools such as C64List by Jeff Hoag (https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/C64list).

You don't need the trade codes since you can calculate them from the UWP?

I resisted this for the past year, because it's dedicated program space that I don't want. HOWEVER, maybe it's not that much program space. I could do it pretty easily in Perl. Let's see where that goes.

(1) Rules. Say each code has a rule: an array of values to match:

DATA LO, -, -, -, 123, -, -
DATA HI, -, -, -, 9ABCDEF, -, -
DATA IN, -, 012479ABC, -, 9ABCDEF, -, -

These are read into an array of arrays of rules, so that

Code:
$RU[$CO][$AT]

Contains the requirement for that particular code's attribute. The most useful subroutine would then take a $UWP and a $CODE and figure out if the uwp satisfies that code's requirements, storing the code's name as a return value.

It's slow, but I don't care about that.

It consumes some BASIC memory. That bothers me a bit.

(2) Code Module. Thanks to hackers, there's a nice utility that lets you swap out chunks of BASIC code within a running program. This means a utility that calculates trade codes for temporary use could be swapped in when needed.

That requires disk space to store the code fragment, but that's more than compensated for by not storing the trade codes to begin with.

Can you further pack system names? Don't use ASCII or PETSCII or whatever, but use your own 5-bit-per-character mapping? A-Z plus space only? (27 possibilities, fits in 5 bits per character with room for a few extra characters in the space if you want to specially map them).

Just two days ago I was thinking about RAD50 -- DEC's "Radix 050" encoding scheme. Best performance would be 66% original size. It's a 6-bit code.

This is what I do. I've written (short) subroutines to handle strings as if they were "structures" with named fields (I had to write a little Perl pre-processor for that). I use right$ and left$ and mid$ etc etc.

Last edited:
So about 40 bytes per world, counting overhead...bit-banging can compress that to about 17, but at a significant loss of speed. Adding names adds 3+length Bytes per world... essentially instantly doubling the size of the database.

so 80 B per world x a subsector (80) 1600 B.... just shy of 1.6 KB semicompressed,
25600 B, or 25 KB. And half of that's the names.
And the names can be compressed for storage easily - but that's not a great idea. 58 significant characters; we can fit the needed characters into a 6-bit by subtraction/addition of 32. but it only compresses 4:3 (75%) over actual strings... better packig loses lower case and saves 1 bit. Which gets 3:2 (66%).

It's 3 operations per value packed other than the LSW. Which makes it slow things way down.

It's a balancing act between speed and size.

And therefore an interesting problem.

My latest attempt (a month ago) mashed the UWP down to:

Code:
DATA 1910,A788899-CA8 01010000000001100 F82-,IM,F5BDM5,REGINA

Hex: 4 chars
UWP: 9 chars (yeah, there's wasted space there)
Bases: 1 char
Importance: 1 char
Remarks: 17 chars at a wasteful 1 bit per char! Scandalous. I should mash that down.
Nobility: 1 char
Worlds: 1 char
B+G: 1 char
Zone: 1 char
Allegiance: 2 chars
Stellar: 6 chars
Name: varies (average 8 chars perhaps)

Average: 52 chars, and it could be shorter. This yields subsectors that are between 800 and 2100 bytes.

I'm using plain PETSCII, rather than binary data, although I suppose I could make the jump to binary records.

The 2016 version of my code did it like this:

Code:
DATA "1910", "A-C A", 8, "A--RC/B82/IM/F5BDM5", "-", "REGINA"

Hex: 4 chars
Starport-TL Bases: 4 chars
Importance: 1 char
Remarks, Nobility+BG, Allegiance, Stellar data: 19 chars
Zone: 1 char
Name: average 8 chars

Total average: 37 chars, but harder to decode.

Last edited:
One thing I haven't mentioned clearly: I am using modern tools to help design the data. In other words, I can use any modern language to ENCODE the data any way I like.

So what the emulator spends its time on is DECODING the data.

So an asymmetric process that's extremely expensive to encode, but relatively easy to decode, is totally an option.

What's Our Character Inventory?

Mashing data into shorter bitlengths is a common thing. And the UWP doesn't use a large character inventory. Excluding the braces, what do we see?

A-Z and Space
0-9
The dash (optional)

That's it, really. 38 characters.

Two ways to encode that: a straight 6-bit code, or a 5-bit code with a little Huffman magic.

What are the most popular 31 characters used in the UWP?

(10): 0-9
(5): AEIOU
(4): BCDF (for TLs)?
(4): GKMV (for stars)?
(5): NSTRL (for world names)?
(3): PWH (trade codes)?

There, that's 31. That leaves:
JQXYZ, Space, Dash, and perhaps other optional things.

But, let's simplify just a bit. It's worth the expense:

Signed Integer Encoding:

0-9: 0-9
10 A
11 B
12 C
13 D
14 E
15 F
16 G
17 H
18 I
19 J
20 K
21 L
22 M
23 N
24 O
25 P
26 Q
27 R
28 S
29 T
30 U
31 V
32: EXTENSION CODE. The next 5 bits (perhaps even from the next int) tell us what the extended value is:

32 + 1: W
32 + 2: X
32 + 3: Y
32 + 4: Z
32 + 5: Space
32 + 6: Dash
32 + 7 thru 32 + 31: Whatever we need them to be.

NOTE: The space character actually shows up a lot as a negative entry. However, I think we can get around that by using other characters -- for example, a zero(0). That reduces its use to world names, which is not common enough to matter.

Last edited:
One thing I haven't mentioned clearly: I am using modern tools to help design the data. In other words, I can use any modern language to ENCODE the data any way I like.

So what the emulator spends its time on is DECODING the data.

So an asymmetric process that's extremely expensive to encode, but relatively easy to decode, is totally an option.

So, are you going to use machine code to grab access to C000-CFFF ? (It's an extra 4k for program space... ) Or to the cartridge memory?

So, are you going to use machine code to grab access to C000-CFFF ? (It's an extra 4k for program space... ) Or to the cartridge memory?

(One very nice feature of C64List is I can inline assembly with BASIC, label its entry points, and it will shoehorn it into memory right after the BASIC program.)

I use C000+ for sprite data... and I reserve the tape buffer for position data.

But you've just given me an idea: I could use C000-CFFF to store a compressed subsector. That's what you were hinting at, weren't you?

Fun With Distances

One of the earliest bits of BASIC I wrote for Traveller is a distance calculator:

Code:
{:DISTANCE}
        ' -----------------------------
        '
        ' DISTANCE FORMULA
        ' IN: H1$, H2$
        ' OUT: D%
        '
        ' -----------------------------
        C1% = VAL(LEFT$(H1$,2))
        R1% = VAL(RIGHT$(H1$,2))
        C2% = VAL(LEFT$(H2$,2))
        R2% = VAL(RIGHT$(H2$,2))
        A1 = R1% + C1%/2
        A2 = R2% + C2%/2
        D% = ABS(A1-A2)
        D2 = ABS(C1%-C2%)
        D3 = ABS(A1-C1%-A2+C2%)
        IF D2 > D% THEN D% = D2
        IF D3 > D% THEN D% = D3
        RETURN

After that, I could write an astrogation subroutine that figured out what systems you could reach.

This got tricky, since you could jump into a neighboring sector. Thus all "hex" values would be translated into integers before use.

But there's more. I store subsectors, not sectors, due to the slowness of disk access, and that means I have to check UP TO nine neighboring subsectors for jump destinations, depending on where you are and what your range is. If I took Hop drive into account, I'd probably require the user to input the destination, which the program would simply check for range.

We Count in Disk Blocks

Note: files are allocated in 256 byte blocks, 254 of which are usable.

So about 40 bytes per world, counting overhead...

This is about the order of magnitude I'm seeing. 5 diskette blocks per subsector, with an occasional 4 blocks or 6 blocks. 5 average, across Spin, Gvurrdon, and Deneb.

So, 40 worlds in 1270 bytes. 31.75 bytes per world, assuming 40 worlds.

How Many Blocks Do You Have?

I have no problem choosing a 1581 diskette image, which conforms to the more recent 3.5" 800k floppy drive used since the late 80s.

That gives me 3160 blocks. It's wonderful!

3160 blocks could store 632 subsectors, or 39 sectors of data, if we have 32 bytes per world on the average.

I've resisted it, but I COULD even use a D8250 image, which is the old hard drive format. It has 4133 blocks, and could hold 826 subsectors, or 51 sectors.

How Many Blocks Do You Need?

Now let's get crazy. Say Charted Space has 2,000 subsectors with data. What's it take to store the whole thing?

Easy. 2000 x 5 = 10,000 blocks needed.

Four Hard Drives

Since this is an emulator, I can have four hard drives. Three reserved for Charted Space might just do it.

Last edited:
I guess I would approach this differently.

All that UWP/UPP stuff is fluff, for a trading sim all you need are the trade codes- maybe have a program that crunches current/changed UWPs into trade codes- and the population stat, LL if you are maintaining an illegals table/result.

So retain the fluff for impressive display, but don't waste gaming time crunching that, do it during a system admin subroutine or separate program.

Separate datasets for separate functions so maximum speed and simplicity at execution time, pare it down to the absolute minimum for the function called, and do relational updates 'behind the scenes'.

Don't forget a predictor routine that keeps in mind skill levels for various Broker/Trader/Admin/Legal (and possibly Streetwise for the illegals trade).

Get that prediction so the player gets sucked in, er, possibly making an erroneous assumption and the actual sales result is a surprise, pleasant or otherwise.

for a trading sim all you need are the trade codes...

and the population stat, LL if you are maintaining an illegals table/result.

...pare it down to the absolute minimum for the function called, and do relational updates 'behind the scenes'.

You're right, and one iteration of this I ditched Size through LL, keeping only the starport and TL.

Let's go minimal for a moment.

Code:
{  
   int 0: 
      hex col: 4 bits
      hex row: 4 bits
      primary color: 4 bits
      primary size:  3 bits
   int 1:
      starport class: 3 bits
      TL:             5 bits
      population:     4 bits
      importance:     3 bits
      spare:          1 bit
   int 2:
      (Ba, Di, Lo, and Hi are easily calculable)
      Ag:    1 bit
      As:    1 bit
      Cp:    1 bit
      De:    1 bit
      Fl:    1 bit
      In:    1 bit
      Na:    1 bit
      Ni:    1 bit
      Po:    1 bit
      Ri:    1 bit
      Va:    1 bit
      Wa:    1 bit