• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Rules Only: CT/CP2013 Mashup

Marchand

SOC-12
I've been working on mashing together CT and Cyberpunk 2013, specifically replacing CT combat with Friday Night Firefight from CP2013.

CP2013 FNFF is different to CP2020 (that more people might be familiar with). A key difference is in CP2013, damage totals from a successful attack are checked versus target bodytype on a table to generate a wound state - flesh wound, serious, mortal, critical or dead. Also, CP2013 handles initiative differently - it breaks a round up into 3 phases, and characters can act in some or all based on their Reflexes stat (higher can act earlier, obviously), with characters acting in REF order within a phase.

Why bother? Partly because I have just moved city and have time on my hands! Partly because I love FNFF's grittiness. I appreciate what I think CT combat tries to do - the mods for weapon type at different ranges and against different types of armour are huge and require the player to be tactical. I tend to like that kind of thing. But in play the tables of mods seem too fiddly. I don't want to replace CT with CP2013 wholesale because there are many parts of CT that I love and want to keep - eg, I prefer CT's careers, lifepath and skill set to CP2013's.

The key parts of FNFF I need to bring into CT are:

the calculation of which phases a combatant can act - I am basing this off of CT DEX. The FNFF table on a 1-10 ability score range can map to a 2-12 CT range using probabilities on a 2D throw from anydice. So, FNFF says a character with Reflexes 2-4 can only act in Phase 3, not 1 or 2. Reflex 4 is 40% of a 1-10 distribution. The corresponding point on a 2D distribution is 6 (well, 42% but close enough). So CT characters with DEX 1-6 will act only on Phase 3. And so on.

the calculation of bodytype - similar process to phases. I base it off END as analogous to CP2013's BODY. So, END1-3 is Very Weak, 4-6 is Weak, 7-8 is Average, 9-10 is Strong and 11+ is Very Strong.

Combat Experience Modifier - a measure of how being scared affects a combatant. In CP2013, subtract COOL from 12 and that is your CEM. CEM is subtracted from every attack throw. It goes down by 1 for every firefight a character survives, until it reaches zero.

CT doesn't have a COOL stat. I considered using END but as that's already used for bodytype, its importance would be exaggerated. The CEM would flow naturally from Book 4-7 chargen - every year spent in a combat assignment would -1 to your CEM.

However I tend to stick to Book 1 chargen. That being the case, I decide to start CEM at 10 and subtract 1 for every level in a weapon skill (I've always taken it this reflects actual combat experience rather than being good on a shooting range), plus another 1 for every term in Army or Marines. I'm unsure about giving credit for Tactics as well - again I tend to think a level of CT skill reflects real world experience, not just book learning.

Has anyone done a similar mashup? Any thoughts on the above? The main area I'm unsure of is the buff I'm giving to Army and Marine vets in combat versus the other services. I think this could be a feature not a bug, though.

Back