• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT: what does Tranq from snub pistols do to animals?

An animal has two hit values, the first is the number of hits to render unconscious, the second being the additional hits to kill.

For a 100kg animal this is 5D/2D.

I would say that when shooting an animal with a tranq round its save is based on its hits to kill.

So a 100kg pouncer with 14/7 hit with a tranq round would roll 7 or less to remain conscious.

Note for very large animals they may not need to roll since their hits to kill is 12 or greater, you will need a more powerful tranq round that is probably lethal to smaller animals/PCs ;)

Reactions: Roc
An animal has two hit values, the first is the number of hits to render unconscious, the second being the additional hits to kill.

For a 100kg animal this is 5D/2D.

I would say that when shooting an animal with a tranq round its save is based on its hits to kill.

So a 100kg pouncer with 14/7 hit with a tranq round would roll 7 or less to remain conscious.

Note for very large animals they may not need to roll since their hits to kill is 12 or greater, you will need a more powerful tranq round that is probably lethal to smaller animals/PCs ;)

Nice ruling.

If one were transporting animals larger then what a snub pistol can deal with, I'd assume specialized tranq rifles in the hands of a drover sent along to see to their care and safety.

Animals have no listed Endurance....yet Tranq requires a roll under Endurance to stay conscious....

How does this work?

As I am not sure what is loaded into knock-out darts on Earth with its respect on humans verses animals, this is somewhat guess work.

If it is roughly the weight of a human, say 80 kilograms or so, then treat as a human with an endurance of 9 and go from there. Remember that a knock-out dose is going to be based on the weight of the target. A small human or animal hit by the knock-out dose for a larger target may readily die from the dosage.

If the animal is significantly heavier than 80 kilograms, the successful resistance roll should increase significantly, and if the target weight is greater than 160 kilograms, then assume failure of the first hit and require multiple hits. If the animal has a very heavy coat, such as a yak or musk ox, a very thick skin, such as a hippopotamus or a rhino, and a coat of fat under the skin, like a bear prior to hibernation or the rear end of a hog, I am not sure if a Tranq round would work at all.

Note, I am basing this on mammal targets. If you are shooting at a reptile or amphibian, the round may not work at all, regardless of the number of hits. With avian targets, except for birds the size of ostriches or emus, and possibly large penguins, the dosage may easily hit, but the simple fact of hitting may kill as well.

Last edited:
Back