• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Daedalus Pulse Drive question

Tellon

SOC-12
now for those who have FF&S, look at pg 74 ....

We'll see the drive with the neat pic and the description ... and 1 imho a glaring boo boo ...

we see the drive is ...

Vol 1
Wt: 1
TT: 1.5 (nice for interstellar travel)
Pr: .5 Mcr (it's for long range interstellar travel .. so we expect this ..)
Fuel usage: .0005/hr (not bad ... )
Fuel cost: H2 x 100 (still basically cheap)
Surf Area: TT/200 (not bad, especially with an open config).. the craft is still basically fuel and engine ... with a small "crew pod" up front ... lol

So we have a basic outlay of a unit for this drive .. but did anybody notice 1 big boo boo ...

Where is the MW cost .... Since we know the pellets are hit by laser beams .. those beams use juice ...

I have played with 1 MW usage and could use a better answer from what anybody out there has used for this drive ... And I have looked in Vampire Fleets, Hard Times, TNE source book, the RC book, and others that I have, and I have even googled for info with STILL, no firm answer on what the requirements for it is ...

so .... the question:

What have you folks come up with (as a house rule/errata)

The "Daedelus" Drive proposal was taken largely from the original British Interplanetry Society's 1978 Daedelus proposal document.
One later modification to the drive, was a inclusion of a MHD Generator, run in part by injecting a lithium pellet, just after the He-3 pellet, into the fusion bloom, which in turn would partly run the drives particle/laser beams...
As for the initial power generation, it was "kickstarted" via a seperate Fusion/Fission (delete as applicable) reactor...

Back