• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Dark Nebula (Boardgame)

Dovator

SOC-2
Always liked Imperium, I know I played Dark Nebula a couple of times back in the day. I am in the process of Enlarging the Map & Counters by 150%, looking for a larger more attractive product to play with other gamers; Also makes the counters MUCH easier to read for some of us older gamers.

I actually still have a couple of unpunched counter sheets, which made the whole project a lot simpler; Most of us have a color copier/enlarger on our desktop these days.

It turns out you can lay out the eight subsectors (following the hex grid numbers) to make a nice 2x4 sector map.

Does anyone know if there is ANY relationship between the 'Official' Dark Nebula sector and the astrographics of the game?

Second Question re: Milieu Zero Maps

Are there Milieu Zero maps and Data?

The whole thing started out as a project to create a Sylean Federation board game, a follow on to Imperium; More complicated than it looked.

So I am specifically interested in Core Sector.

But a link to a place I could print out a blank sector map for later enlargement would be helpful.

But a link to a place I could print out a blank sector map for later enlargement would be helpful.

Do you need a file of a blank sector map that you could print out, or someplace that will do the printing? The big office supply stores and FedEx Office will do large prints, as well as many smaller print shops.

map request

Not sure; A blank map I can print out is a good place to start.

I had my game maps professionally enlarged, ($16 for the set, 150%); They did a really nice job.

I have not reached the sophistication of taking a thumb drive in and having it printed from.

My only "Local" source of Graphic art supplies is Hobby Lobby. Even Fayetteville (Darkest Arkansas indeed) no longer supports a full selection art supply store. And that's a forty five minute (or more) trip, ie, all afternoon.

My home printer seems to like to leave a margin, need to experiment with the settings. It (the home printer) was cutting off the bottom of the maps when I enlarged them.

I have to hunch over awkwardly, or drag a chair over to reach the controls of the printer!

A few years ago (May 2016) I took my PDF for 5th frontier war to Office Depot to try to get the scanned images printed, it did not look good, the scans would not align properly and I had a 1/4 hex offset where one scan ended and another began. I would consider trying again, perhaps the printing S/W has gotten better at fixing the problems with the scan edges being larger than the centers.

Printing Maps

I went to a local (printing) job shop with my original printed maps to Dark Nebula; Cost was $16 for the set at 150%, all neatly trimmed. They did a beautiful job, mostly they do architectural and promotional sign work.

Enlarging an SPI or Decision Folio game map (150%) runs like $8.

Anyone have any Unpunched Modern Battles (SPI, 1976?) counter sheet(s)?

I'm looking for Wurzburg and Chinese Farm, nice little games with single sided counters.

I have 3 sheets of un-punched axis for SPI's war in the East/ war in Europe, and perhaps a few other various games that might be unpunched, but not the ones you mentioned.

A few years ago (May 2016) I took my PDF for 5th frontier war to Office Depot to try to get the scanned images printed, it did not look good, the scans would not align properly and I had a 1/4 hex offset where one scan ended and another began. I would consider trying again, perhaps the printing S/W has gotten better at fixing the problems with the scan edges being larger than the centers.

Have you had a look at the PDFs of GDW board games that are available on DriveThru? I think they'll print out well enough and can be put onto counters of whatever size you prefer, they'd just need to be scaled appropriately when printed.

Back