• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Exploration in Clement Sector and beyond

pavel.k

SOC-6
Hello,

Clement Sector universe has a great potential for exploration and survey of subsectors and individual worlds.
But I can not find any support materials for it. For example sensors usage is explained from a space combat view only.
There are just two sentences about sensors usage for a survey in the description of Long Range Scout class ship:

"Equipped with a long range sensor suite, the Type LS can accurately survey a newly discovered star system from within or afar.
Typically sensor survey is undertaken once the scout has jumped into the outer zone of a new system,
before any detailed exploration and assessment work is undertaken."

That is all.
And there is also a contradiction as LS has listed Military Basic Electornics only. According Anderson&Felix Guide the Military Basic set includes Radar, Lidar and Jammers. It does not sound like a long range suite...
What exactly a long range sensor suite means anyway? May I scan targeted area before making 2 parsec jump for gas giants presence and the number of stars? And what is the difficulty and modifiers?

I would like to use MegaTraveller World Builder's Handbook for this kind of stuff but it is designed for TL15 and Clement Sector is just TL12.

Are there any plans to make a similar book for Clement Sector? It would be a really great :)

Pavel

I would like to use MegaTraveller World Builder's Handbook for this kind of stuff but it is designed for TL15 and Clement Sector is just TL12.

Are there any plans to make a similar book for Clement Sector? It would be a really great :)

Pavel

Pavel,

Interesting that you should ask. I'm hip deep in writing exactly that sort of book right now.

So, yes, there are definitely plans for it. I'm guessing a June or July release. Not yet finished with the manuscript. Art yet to be commissioned.

But it is definitely on the way.

Why so? MT:WBH allows for the whole range of TLs to design the systems (though for a TL 7- this can have Little meaning for the main planet inhabitants).

Why so? MT:WBH allows for the whole range of TLs to design the systems (though for a TL 7- this can have Little meaning for the main planet inhabitants).

I meant an exploration and not a referee design. WBH contains starship and vehicles with TL15. So I suppose the procedures (role-played) are based on TL15 technology more or less (some portable devices has a lower TL).

The WBH has several parts. The part regarding to the equipment is about standard IISS equipment, and so you can expect it to be TL15 standard (even if it is lower, that would be because no better one is available at TL15).

Another part, the detailed system section, allows for full range of systems to be developed.

And about equipment for survey at TLs lower tan 15, you can look for it in the Imperial Enciclopedia, where there is some of it...

Is there any TL12 tech the OTU setting has that Clement Sector wouldn't have, or have differently, due to Clement Sector being a different mileau than OTU?

Back