• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Far Traveller Issue #3

inexorabletash

SOC-14 1K
Baron
Recently, a copy of Dale Kemper's manuscript for Far Traveller #3 came up for auction on eBay. I waited and the price eventually dropped to the point where I could justify picking it up. It arrived today and fortuitously I've had a chance to read through it this evening. Here are the details...

Far Traveller #3 Draft
Editors: Dale L. Kemper & David J. Bunke
57 pages

This is a photocopy, not an original, although it is signed by Dale. The original was rather clearly printed on an Apple ImageWriter dot matrix printer - the font is quite distinctive! All text, no images, and minimal formatting.

The table of contents is as follows:

TRAVELLER'S GEAR.................. William A. Barton
SOFTWARE.......................... J. Andrew Keith & Dale L. Kemper
COMPUTER DATA..................... Dale L. Kemper
PORT OF CALL...................... Dale L Kemper & David J. Bunke
PPS-12 (Adventure)................ Dale L. Kemper
ADVENTURE CLASS SHIP.............. Chuck Kallenbach II
URSHAG'S FIGHTING VEHICLES........ David C. Nilsen
PILLARS (Erata)................... J. Andrew Keith
TAEMERLYK SUBSECTOR............... Dale L. Kemper & David J Bunke

This does not exactly match the contents; “Urshag’s Fighting Vehicles” and “Taemerlyk Subsector” are not present. “Urshag’s…” is presumably a continuation of the series initiated in High Passage #5; quite a shame that we’re missing an early article by Dave Nilsen! The Taemerlyk Subsector details are present in Dale’s Far Frontiers draft and were published in Ares Magazine Special #2 and The Traveller Chronicle #3; various articles reference the subsector map that would have been present.

The actual contents are as follows:

pp.2 - Traveller’s Log - Issue #3, July 1983
pp.4 - Traveller’s Gear - Flamethrower, Asbestos Spray
pp.9 - Software
pp.11 - Library Computer
pp.13 - The Far Frontiers Sector - An Introduction
pp.15 - Port of Call - Caractacalla
pp.41 - The Taking of PPS-12 (Adventure)
pp.45 - Adventure Class Ships - The Jump Assault Boat
pp.47 - Privateering in the Far Frontiers Sector
pp.54 - Strategic Morale for Uraqyad’n of the Seven Pillars

Traveller’s Log - Issue #3, July 1983

The editors welcome the reader to the third issue of The Far Traveller. The opening news is that “Andy” Keith is no longer affiliated with FASA so there is a changing of the guard, a familiar story for followers of this magazine. Reader input is solicited, and contact info is given - include self addressed stamped envelope if you want your manuscript returned - ah, the primeval era.

Traveller’s Gear - Flamethrower, Asbestos Spray

Meticulous details about the equipment and use in combat, effects on armor, damage, morale and so forth.

Software

Three naval computer programs are presented, with stats: Squadron Operations, which gives a tactical boost to linked ships; Fleet Operations, similarly for larger groups of ships; and Simulate, which allows other software to be repurposed for training scenarios.

Library Computer

Entries for the Taemerlyk subsector of Far Frontiers: Achenaar Antilles Line (Protectorate shipping line), Eastport Redoubt (location on Caractacalla, capital of the Protectorate), Four Worlds (independent polity near the Protectorate), Marsian Mercenaries Unlimited (merc corp in the Protectorate), and Union of Garth (another independent polity).

The Far Frontiers Sector - An Introduction

A short (two page) overview of the history and state of the Far Frontiers sector overall, and Imperial and Zhodani ambitions in the area. References a map (not included, but presumably similar to the one on pp.32 of Ares Special #2) showing borders of the polities.

Port of Call - Caractacalla

This is the meat of the issue, running 26 pages (pp.15-40). Approximately five pages are spent on the Protectorate, one of the largest polities in the Far Frontiers sector. One page details the Caractacalla system, followed by details on the planet itself, its environment, history, rise of the Protectorate, rebellion of the Four Worlds against the Union of Garth (and Zhodani influences), current society and politics, defenses, and three pages on wildlife.

(As an aside, the UWP details for Caractacalla on TravellerMap.com don't exactly match the details given in the article. Perhaps a correction is in order...)

The Taking of PPS-12 (Adventure)

A short adventure set on Caractacalla, built on the politics and environment described in the previous article. Includes NPCs and location details.

Adventure Class Ships - The Jump Assault Boat

Short description of a 100-ton assault boat, carried within a transport to a combat zone. Stats are given in Book 5 and Book 2 formats.

Privateering in the Far Frontiers Sector

Describes the principles of privateering, the legal implications, contents of a commission, and the application of various rules for dealing with booty, er… legal acquisitions of cargo from enemy ships.

Strategic Morale for Uraqyad’n of the Seven Pillars

Errata for this FASA supplement. Acts as a drop-in addition to the adventure, and specifies rules and a table for determining morale of the Talaki troops in the coast and desert regions.

What can I say - it reads exactly like you’d expect a “lost issue” of Far Traveller to read. The Taemerlyk Subsector is given character by presenting it as the background of an important world, with the various players such as the Four Worlds, the Union of Garth, and even the high-tech Freedonia given context. The world itself is detailed enough for adventurers to visit, and is neither a hellhole nor a paradise. Relative to typical publications of the time, the Adventure runs a bit light, but the GM is provided sufficient background to flesh it out. Equipment: check. Starship: check. Subsector: … well, missing, but heavily detailed even if the map and stats are missing.

I’d love to see Marc and Dale figure out a way to print this - and Dale’s Far Frontiers manuscript - as a “retro supplement”. Perhaps someday…

[FONT=arial,helvetica]I’d love to see Marc and Dale figure out a way to print this - and Dale’s Far Frontiers manuscript - as a “retro supplement”. Perhaps someday…

Let Marc know about it.

[/FONT]

Already have 1 x issue 1 and 2 x issue 2...would love to get a printed or CD version of it.

Maybe FFE needs a Acro 3 with this, Grenadier mods (if they ain't buried somewhere already) and other never printed items.

Yeah, Issue 1 was the only one I was able to get at the time. If the others become available as softcopies I imagine there'd be more than just a couple of others like me who'd pick them up!

Back