• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Food From Thin Air

wellis

SOC-12
Interesting~ https://bigthink.com/technology-innovation/protein-from-air
It's not like you can make food out of thin air. Well…it turns out you can. A company from Finland, Solar Foods, is planning to bring to market a new protein powder, Solein, made out of CO₂, water and electricity. It's a high-protein, flour-like ingredient that contains 50 percent protein content, 5–10 percent fat, and 20–25 percent carbs. It reportedly looks and tastes like wheat flour, and could become an ingredient in a wide variety of food products after its initial launch in 2021.

It's likely to first appear on grocery shelves in protein shakes and yogurt. It could be an exciting development: Solein's manufacturing process is carbon neutral and the potential for scalability seems unlimited — we've got too much CO₂, if anything. Why not get rid of some greenhouse gas with a side of fries?

Solar Foods makes Solein by extracting CO₂ from air using carbon-capture technology, and then combines it with water, nutrients and vitamins, using 100 percent renewable solar energy from partner Fortum to promote a natural fermentation process similar to the one that produces yeast and lactic acid bacteria.
Okay this is neat! I wonder if this, combined with hydroponics, and lab-grown meat (if that actually is viable and it might not be), could be useful to make ships sort of self-sufficient some, if they're running out of kther ingredients for food that have been bought in spaceports and such.

Did their marketing department not point out how similar Solein is to Soylent?

Interesting~ https://bigthink.com/technology-innovation/protein-from-air
Okay this is neat! I wonder if this, combined with hydroponics, and lab-grown meat (if that actually is viable and it might not be), could be useful to make ships sort of self-sufficient some, if they're running out of kther ingredients for food that have been bought in spaceports and such.
So, I'm getting visions of the goop splorting out of the spigot in The Matrix.

Curious how lossy this system is, if at all.

But that does bring up the issue of system loss. Given a sealed, self contained system with "free power", what ends up being consumed and "lost" from the system? Theoretically nothing, but it's a curious question.

Did their marketing department not point out how similar Solein is to Soylent?

Soylent Green is a fictional food product from the 70's movie.

Soylent is an actual product, it's a food replacement drink.

So, I'm getting visions of the goop splorting out of the spigot in The Matrix.

Curious how lossy this system is, if at all.

But that does bring up the issue of system loss. Given a sealed, self contained system with "free power", what ends up being consumed and "lost" from the system? Theoretically nothing, but it's a curious question.
I could see a system like this possibly providing some ingredients for something grim, like prisons.

There's now articles about 3D printing (pseudo-) meat.
I'm thinking these two technologies would mix well - that way you're not looking at yogurt or glop, but something that looks and has the texture of food.

Also, is it just me, or does this remind anyone else of the "survival still" ?

Back