• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

French Arm is beginning

As the news are, I'd say better that the French Armée de l'Air is becoming COACC (though COACC is not from 2300AD, but MT)...

Silly me. I thought there were treaties against militarising space. :CoW:

Wonder what excrement will hit the rotary air moving device when the Chinese announce a space force, followed by the Russians then the Indians. :devil:

Will the French share their space force with the EU army I wonder?

There is a really interesting near future Traveller campaign in the offing here... :)

Silly me. I thought there were treaties against militarising space. :CoW:

Well, if I recall correctly, according to treaty, 'space' starts fifty miles up. But, since there's not much air up there, standard aircraft might not be the best way to defend it.

So, one could argue that the equipment that looks to be militarizing 'space' is not intended to do so, but merely protecting one's own sovereign airspace over a country. And if it happens, to pop up a couple of hundred kilometers once in a while, c'est la vie.

But yes, expect a few more announcements from other countries in the coming months.

Maybe we could have a century or so of insystem shenanigans before the stutterwarp opens up the interstellar future without the need for a Twilight War scenario.
USA vs EU vs China vs Russia vs India as the big players.

As the news are, I'd say better that the French Armée de l'Air is becoming COACC (though COACC is not from 2300AD, but MT)...

From what I've seen, no.

The Space force is being carved out of the Armée de l'Air to be a separate force.

The Adl'A is losing its space assets to the new force.

I was looking up to see who has active spaceports. The list on the bottom is pretty big actually.

Wikipedia article on "Spaceport"

But with traditional (i.e. National) manned launches, its only been done in US, Soviet/Russian (via Kazakhstan) and Chinese soil. You would think you will launch on national soil right? The Russians are only "renting" theirs until 2050, but of there is a new arms race, who knows? So I was looking up the data on French Guiana which is the France/ESA launch site. I figure that they will upgrade there or somehow build in France

Found out French Guiana is not a colony nor an independent country. Since 2015 along with along with the Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte and Réunion Islands they are all proper departments/regions of France with full voting rights and perks in their national assembly. So "space" attacks to them I guess is the same as attacking France proper.

Mayotte and Réunion in the indian Ocean might make for nice tracking stations :D Weren't they used by NASA in the past?

Color me surprised :coffeesip:

Back