• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

FYI: Subsector Hex Grids Now Available!

Gruffty

SOC-14 1K
Greetings all

I've just completed one of my personal long standing projects. This was to produce blank subsector hex grids, all correctly numbered, for each of the 16 subsectors in a sector.

Whilst I appreciate that this may well have been done by others (and probably better!) I thought I might blow my own flugelhorn on this one <parp-parp!> :D

Anyway, they're .pdf files and for those that are interested, they can be downloaded, for free, from John's Traveller Home page .

I'd be grateful if people would e-mail via the site if they spot any mistakes (i.e. hexes wrongly numbered) so i can correct any errors.

Cheers m'ducks

Gruffty / John

So, feeling all smug and self-satisfied, Gruffty prints off a copy of each of the 16 subsector grids, only to find quite a few hexes numbered incorrectly :rolleyes:

Moral of the story: Proof read the things before you publish.

They're fixed now.

Feedback and suggestions for changes and additions are welcome.

Eyethangewe

Gruffty

Looks potentially useful but every file came up as "needs to be repaired" when opened and then it just displayed the basic grid and hex numbers.

I'm running Reader 6.0.2 and it looks like your files were made in 7. I didn't however get the "this document was made in a newer version of Adobe Acrobat" type message that I normally get with version 7 pdf files.

Suggestion: If possible could you please see if there's a compatibility switch to allow for at least version 5 and 6?

HTH.

Update: since these are blank files just the grid, numbers, and corner brackets might be correct. I wasn't sure if there was any other text in the pdfs. Either way, getting a "needs to be repaired" message. :(

I just printed one out. Looks good!

Two suggestions...

Either fill up the page more so that I have nice fat hexes to write in... or shrink it down a bit and put in a column for filling in UWP codes.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to put it to work this Wednesday night...

Casey:

The hex grids were "built" using Word 2000 then converted from .doc to .pdf using Adobe Acrobat 5. I've just got all 16 hex grid .pdf files open using Acrobat Reader 7 without any error warnings appearing.

When I played heavily in 1983, I used to get frustrated having to blank out the hex numbers on a subsector grid photocopy, copy it 16 times, then hand write in all the different numbers for all the subsectors. So I came up with this idea, 22 years too late

There's no other text on the page except the frame, corner brackets, hexes and hex numbers. WYSIWYG.

I'll look at Acrobat 5 and see if there's anything that can be tweaked to stop the errors appearing.

Jeffr0:

The size of the hexes is (as near as dammit) the same as those printed in most CT books that have subsector grids in them.

I'll have a go at a) making the hexes bigger and b) adding a column but making the hexes smaller.

I'll feedback on the results of the experiments when I've completed them.

Gruffty

You should be able to set the preferences for saving your PDF as an Acrobat 5 compatible file. It helps with some of the alternative browsers, for whom a Reader may not have been released yet for 7.x files.

Just a thought,
Flynn

Originally posted by Flynn:
You should be able to set the preferences for saving your PDF as an Acrobat 5 compatible file. It helps with some of the alternative browsers, for whom a Reader may not have been released yet for 7.x files.

Just a thought,
Flynn
:confused: I can't find anything in Acrobat 5 that will allow me to do this. the Help file isn't particularly...helpful..... :confused:

Are you using Adobe Acrobat Distiller as your print device for generating the PDF? If so, look at the properties of that device, and you should be able to set the format options within those preferences. I don't have Adobe Acrobat 7.x, so I can't give you specifics. Others on the boards might, though.

Good luck,
Flynn

Originally posted by Flynn:
Are you using Adobe Acrobat Distiller as your print device for generating the PDF?
I most certainly am, Stanley. Thanks for the advice - I'll try again.

<Edit> AH-HA! I found the Distiller parameters thingy and changed it to Acrobat 5 (from Acrobat 3). :D

Originally posted by Jeffr0:
These are really great, Gruffty.

Thanks again!
You are most welcome! :D

Ultimately the hex grids will be used in my development of Spica sector (see the CSSP forum) so mu motivation was not soley altruistic towards my fellow Travellers!

Plus, of course, I can now map an entire sector, subsector by subsector, *without* having to hand write all the hex numbers!
file_21.gif

Back