• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Got the Deluxe Traveler box set

Hey guys,

For a long time now i have loved playing RPG with my friends and family bringing us together to have some real fun. The last time we played my auntie mentioned a game called Traveller, i had never heard of this before so i started doing a little research and the game looked awesome. After finding a box set of rule books online for sale I was gutted to find that Rule book 2 is missing :( As i have been reading through rule book 0 and rule book 1 i am getting into the game more and more yet still haven't had the chance to play. Also in this box set i got there was some judges Guild Traveller booklets/ adventure books, i have been piecing the rule books and the Judges guild Traveller booklets together and started to get an image of what the game is really about. What i am wondering is if there is a PDF/Word copy of rule book 2 on here or if anyone would know where i could just get the one book from? this would help me out a lot guys its like have a peace short of a puzzle. Also while i am here what do you guys love most about the game it's self and do you have any tips/tricks for a beginner???

Traveller-rpg-Classic-LBB-Traveller-Game-Designers-Workshop.jpg

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated guys

Thanks

As to tips.
Make character generation part of or all of your first evening of play. Get each of your players to generate several characters and get them to talk about potential back stories and how the different characters of different players may have got to know each other during their prior careers.
Ask your players what sort of sci-fi adventures they want, what inspires you and them.
If you want to run The Expanse but they want to play Star Wars you are in trouble.
As the referee start small - generate a world and then the quarter of a subsector that surrounds it.

Pick a simple one off scenario to run - my favourite intro to a new campaign is Death Station.

Oh, and welcome to Traveller. :)

You can get pretty much all the Traveller goodness your heart could ever desire by getting the CD-ROM from Far Future Enterprises. You won't be disappointed! ;)

For newbies to Traveller I always also recommend reading the first few Dumarest novels by E.C. Tubb -- they will give you an excellent idea about what kind of universe the game aims to model.

Also while i am here what do you guys love most about the game it's self and do you have any tips/tricks for a beginner???

As to what I love about the game:
  1. I love the simplicity and flexibility of the system. When something tense happens, the Referee decides on a Throw number, Die Modifiers are added as appropriate (based on skills, high or low characteristics, and circumstances) and you see what happens.
  2. To make point 1. happen the Players and the Referee really have to add details of the fictional situation -- layering details (what tools are available, where was that other guy standing when the shooting started, and more). I love RPGs that really depend on building images and situations in the heads of the Players, and Traveller depends on this.
  3. I love the Character Creation system. It's a mini-game by itself, and encourages people to imagine and dream about the lives and background of the PCs even before play begins.
  4. I love that the combat system is dangerous. (Not always deadly, mind you. The first blood rules mean characters will often be knocked unconscious on the first shot, but not killed.) This means Players have to be smart with their characters. This means engaging with NPCs through negation and chicanery first, if possible, to prevent bullets from flying. It means being smart: scoping out situations, having exit plans, using cover, and more. It means firefights are tense, but reward strong teamwork and tactics.
  5. I love the Main World Generation system. I love how it often produces uncanny, counter-intuitive results that demand the Referee come up with some sort of extraordinary SF-based premise to justify why the numbers came out the way they did.
  6. I love the idea of characters in free trader traveling from world to world, going to visit low tech worlds and worlds with tech higher than their own. Each world is its own exotic, unique setting, full of adventure and inspiration for the Referee and the Players.
  7. I love the conceit of the game: experienced men and women, each with a particular set of skills, heading off to the fronts of civilization to make their fortunes.
  8. There are some other points, I'm sure, but it's late and sleepy. But these popped into my head.

As for advice, I'd say follow Mike's plan. Keep it small, keep it simply. You only need enough to engage the Player with what is right in front of them. A few worlds will be enough to start.

There is a lot of material for Traveller. There are two schools of thought on this front: One is to get everything and use it as a springboard for your own setting. The other is to use the tools of the game (the Main World Generation system, the various Random Encounter tables, and on on) to roll up your own batch of worlds or filling them with whatever you find most compelling. The key is: Once you have Books 0-3, you'll have more than enough guidance and ideas and tools to play. For myself, I think a lot of the material can be overwhelming and overkill. But many people swear by it. It really comes down to the type of gaming you've done and how you want this game to play at your table.

Also, you might want to look at the Consolidated Classic Traveller Errata document. You'll find a few rules (like cover during a firefight) that got dropped form the text. It's not a huge about of corrections to make. But there are some of value to be aware of.

Note that, if you start down the road of the "Official Traveller Universe," you will need Bk 5. Eventually.

Just to give you an idea of what's on that CD mentioned...

Bk's 0-8
The Traveller Book (covers same ground as Bk0-3, plus an OTU subsector and 2 adventures)
Starter Traveller (covers the same ground as Bk 0-3, plus 2 adventures)
Supplements 1-13
Adventures 0-13
Double Adventures 1-7
Imperium board game
Dark Nebula board game
Fifth Frontier War board game
Striker Miniatures Rules (3 volumes)
Snapshot board game (which is a variation of book 1 combat)
Azhanti High Lightning board game (which is a variation of Striker combat on a personal scale aboard ships.)
The Errata file
Alien Realms adventure book.
The Spinward Marches Campaign setting book (for the Fifth Frontier War)

At $4 each, that's over $150 of PDFs on one CD. (Or, if you ask Marc nicely, on a thumb drive instead.)

Another important thing I failed to mention initially is that you should never allow seasoned Traveller gamers to pressure you into exclusively using the "official Traveller universe" (OTU). I don't use it, but instead devise my own setting, and Traveller works just as fine that way. ;)

Using the Official Traveller Universe is good for ready made adventuring; star systems, ships, opponents and more. The great thing about Traveller though is the flexibility of creation to tailor Your Traveller Universe just as you like by building everything. Many of us have done both often for decades. When not running or playing in adventure, you can Create Stuff almost like a personal mini-game.

Definately look for the many pre-made adventures available out there. Even the first edition ones still work.

This is just what i was looking for, you guys are awesome i will check out the CD link above for $35 and get back to you all.

Thanks again guys

Back