• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

How long would it take?

bjjones37

SOC-12
If one were take the interstellar starline carriers (coaches) with no delays for sight-seeing, about how long would it take to travel from Imperial Core/Core to Spinward Marches/Lanth?

Trying to get a grasp on what is viable and what is not in the Third Imperium.

Are there booking agents who could arrange this or would it be hit or miss from subsector to subsector?

Would the starliners provide complete coverage or would I have to cover gaps with a tramp freighter?

Would customs be an issue for a passenger or would he be expedited through each starport?

And is Imperial script universally accepted or would there be fund conversions in different Sectors?

Finally, how much would it cost low passage and middle passage end to end?

Hitchhikers anyone?

According to Traveller Map it's minimum ~40 jump-4 from Capital/Core to Lanth. With a direct route, just jumping no delays, that is about 400 days minimum. Probably more if there is no direct connection. Perhaps a year and a half practically?

Traveller Map can show you trade routes and calculate minimum jumps necessary.

40 jump-4 high passages would be about kCr 400 (CT) or kCr 1640 (MgT2). Probably cheaper on the main trade routes, more expensive on luxury ships. Hotel costs for any lay-overs is added.

I would assume passages are readily available on the major trade routes (within a week or so), but out in the boonies you might have to wait quite awhile for a ship going in the right direction.

Imperial Credits are good in the entire Imperium.

Inside the Imperium most major starports are operated by the Imperium, so no major hassles from local issues.

According to GT Far Trader passenger traffic between even distant Imperial sectors are in the tens of millions per years, so there should be no shortage of passenger liners.

If he were to take low passage, would he survive 18 months continuous cryo-sleep? I am assuming he is only revived just short of his final destination.

Also would he age physically or would the aging process be suspended until he revived?

And what are the chances of his being successfully routed to his destination? (Good, Bad, 50/50?)

Finally is there a risk of permanent physical damage after such a long period of cryo-sleep or would he be perfectly preserved throughout (assuming he did not fail to revive).

OTU Low berths are built into ships, not loose cargo. I find it unlikely that the same ship travels many sectors in the right direction. So every time you switch ships, you are unfrozen (with risk) and refrozen on the next ship.

Under CT you have a significant risk of dying each time you are unfrozen. Other editions are more forgiving.

Staying frozen should be fairly risk-free and does stop ageing.

You are quite the fount of info. Thanks for the perspective.

It seems odd to me that the frozen passengers are not stored in modular battery-backed containers that could be transferred ship-to-ship in orbit for connecting flights. Despite the risk involved it seems like it would be the most efficient way to travel across sectors ... if you remained frozen.

Last edited:
It seems odd to me that the frozen passengers are not stored in modular batery-backed containers that could be transferred ship-to-ship in orbit for connecting flights. Despite the risk involved it seems like it would be the most efficient way to travel across sectors ... if you remained frozen.
Agreed, and that is the way I do it on the major trade routes, but that is not canon.

OTU Low berths are built into ships, not loose cargo. I find it unlikely that the same ship travels many sectors in the right direction. So every time you switch ships, you are unfrozen (with risk) and refrozen on the next ship.

That's not totally exact. In many cases only the frame being built in in the ships, but the passenger cell being detacheable and interchangeable among ships, so that the low berth passengers may be transfered from one ship to another as any cargo.

TD21, page 42:

Many passenger ships, mostly subsidized crafts travelling along set routes, use portable berths.

(...)

A low passenger going from Dingir to Regina, for instance, is first frozen when she boards the ship at Dingir. Once en route, her capsule is transferred from ship to ship. At no time will she have to risk thawing except at Regina.

Under CT you have a significant risk of dying each time you are unfrozen. Other editions are more forgiving.

And that makes the detacheable and interchangeable cells most attractive in CT than, to give an example, MT, where dying while revival is an exceptional occurence.

Staying frozen should be fairly risk-free and does stop ageing.

Fully agreed here. In fact there are references to Time Traveller clubs, with people that froze for years in a one way trip to future...

Last edited:
You're welcome. Glad to help

Yes Traveller Digest.

I have them in dead tree and I'm not sure if they are in any CD (as many DGP products, there are IP problems to publish them).

Marc is still in negotiations with the rights holder.

The DGP interpretation is that a low berth is in two parts, the base and the pod. Ships install bases, while pods have enough battery to be transferred from ship to ship. This version is supported by a K'kree fiction piece in JTAS (where a ship gets a consignment lone K'kree in a transferable pod) and in Marc's novel, in which we see long run low berth transfers.

The DGP interpretation is that a low berth is in two parts, the base and the pod. Ships install bases, while pods have enough battery to be transferred from ship to ship. This version is supported by a K'kree fiction piece in JTAS (where a ship gets a consignment lone K'kree in a transferable pod) and in Marc's novel, in which we see long run low berth transfers.

It would just make sense that colonization would work this way, if not sending along the egg bank.

Large numbers of colonists were recruited and shipped in cold sleep from the Imperial core, with arrival times set from 1110 to 1120.
And they didn't buy insurance against the Ministry of Colonisation forgetting that they were contracted to provide a colony to arrive in...big mistake!:coffeegulp:

Back