• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General I posted this for someone on the Mongoose forum the other day...

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
This is a Starship Encounter Occurrence Table. This lets you have more that one Ship Encounter per day. Comment if you think I did this wrong, or I reinvented the wheel and this in a book somewhere, or anything else.

Starport Type
E - 1 ship encountered per day
D - 2 ships encountered per day
C - 3 ships encountered per day
B - 4 ships encountered per day
A - 5 ships encountered per day

+1 ship encounter per day if a Scout Base or Way Station is present
+1 ship encounter per day if a Naval Base is present

It's up to the Referee is there are Pirates around.

There should be a TL component.

Based on the TL of the polity that has oversight of the world, and the TL of the world itself.

At TL8 a world should have system traffic similar to our ocean traffic during the age of sail.

At TL9 the amount of insystem traffic should be similar to our ocean traffic today, with interstellar traffic similar to the age of sail.

By TL10 insystem traffic would resemble airtravel

I'd say a population component more than a TL one; maybe a + DM for In and Ag worlds.

For the TL 9 and 10 insystem traffic comparison, there are vastly more merchant ships in operation at any one time (the world fleet stats for vessels 100+ GT totaled around 120k, including tugs, fishing boats and bunkering barges), and carrying much more cargo, than there are commercial and private aeroplanes (although planes do carry vastly more passengers); I'd suggest that for TL10, the insystem traffic would resemble ocean shipping for cargo (and some passengers) plus air travel for the majority of passengers. The number of craft involved would obviously be scaled to population. Given the costs, I'd suggest the actual number of space vessels would be a fraction of the current ocean and air fleets.

I also think Starport Type E in general should have much more of a random component to encounters. That is the kind of port that is usually set up on a provisional basis at a backwater, should someone wish to go there. There is a place to land designated, and a beacon, and not much guarantee of anything else.

I also think Starport Type E in general should have much more of a random component to encounters. That is the kind of port that is usually set up on a provisional basis at a backwater, should someone wish to go there. There is a place to land designated, and a beacon, and not much guarantee of anything else.
You're probably right. I might randomize that one - maybe roll a 1d6 Odds is No Encounter and an Even number is an Encounter. Then I'd probably back the others down a number. I'd like to figure out that population component. Maybe tomorrow.

Reviewing the CT encounter table, there was basically one ship encountered, a possibility of an additional small craft, and a good chance of no encounter.

Main modifiers were starports and scout/naval bases.

Working up an encounter table makes me think one should more carefully define what an encounter is. You could get 10 IFF marks inbound, but only care which ones are in range to shoot or match course.

Also thinking detection range matters.

Starship encounters don't make a whole lot of sense to me. Maybe in wilderness areas.

Obviously it depends on your galactic view.

But, simply, the bulk of space traffic will be intersystem traffic. Some systems will have more inner system traffic than others depending on how much local exploitation is happening, but truth be told, for many, it's just as easy to "order out" and have stuff shipped than get it locally. All depends, of course.

But that means that most traffic is ships rushing to 100D to jump, or coming in from 100D to dock.

And, most of the time, those courses are preset, and long standing. You're only in system for a few hours, but much of the time is spent accelerating/decelerating, with a long term target in mind. What this means is that once committed, and particularly invested (i.e. you've been heading to 100D for a couple hours), its very difficult to adjust your course to do, well, anything.

So, you may well see blips on the sensors, hear chatter on the radio, but you're unlikely to do anything about it, unless absolutely forced.

"Freighter Sunrise over Bombay, heave to for inspection" "Yes, sir, we'll be stopping in...uh...6.5 hours!" "Oh, uh, never mind." Obviously unless the patrol craft wants to match vectors and catch up.

It's not like an ocean going vessel, where they can just turn (or stop) on a dime.

High G patrol vessels can react, and can react more quickly, but your generic 1G freighter, as fast as they are, once invested in a vector, what took hours to start takes hours to stop. So they don't. The Jump window is (typically) too small to interfere with.

When things slow down, when ships get closer to the main hubs, yea, things are different. But during the long runs in "deep space", you may encounter something, but odds are you'll just keep going.

Add in a universe like TNE, where the fuel is much, much more precious, and you'll see even less of this.

There should be a TL component.

Based on the TL of the polity that has oversight of the world, and the TL of the world itself.

At TL8 a world should have system traffic similar to our ocean traffic during the age of sail.

At TL9 the amount of insystem traffic should be similar to our ocean traffic today, with interstellar traffic similar to the age of sail.

By in system travel, do you mean small craft?
I'd agree with you if so. Though IMTU, any port of class D or better would have at least a few if the main world has a population of at least 1 million.

That varies by what the standard maneuver drive is,

If it's a CT'77 style drive with a couple days of fuel max, no, it will look nothing like air travel; the times are just too long. Not as bad as the MT TL 9-10 numbers...

If it's an MT Style no-limits T-plate, that happens at TL 11, not 10, with a brachistochrone+mid-flip...

54.6e9m earth-mars closest approach mid-flip brachistichrone at 1G (using the 10m/s² listed in ST b2 p8 - was closest to hand) is around 147783.6 seconds... 41:03:03.6... at 6G 3016.6 sec ap≅0:50:16.6 - yeah, that's within airline-like travel at any acceleration above 2G.

if we limit it to 100 diameters (as the errata says for the MT TL 9 gravitic M Drive), we're looking at a couple hours of acceleration and then weeks of coasting. You do get long air-flight style between a world and its moons... Oh, and your maximum speed is based upon the smaller of source or destination, unless it has a significant moon.

The T4 T-Plate 1000 diameter limit puts everything inside about 9.9 AU under full thrust, so T4 ships can do airline like to about 2 AU orbit...

TNE's typical limit is about 6 G Hours... so no, not airline like at all, maybe save to the moons. (Falcon can get 8T about 3 G•Hours of delta V... ) So, aside from the living conditions, and not leaving stages behind, not much difference from now. Oh, and the Jump Drive.

Drive assumptions must be chosen to make reasonable encounter assumptions.

This is a Starship Encounter Occurrence Table. This lets you have more that one Ship Encounter per day. Comment if you think I did this wrong, or I reinvented the wheel and this in a book somewhere, or anything else.

Starport Type
E - 1 ship encountered per day
D - 2 ships encountered per day
C - 3 ships encountered per day
B - 4 ships encountered per day
A - 5 ships encountered per day

It's up to the Referee is there are Pirates around.
How about:
E - 1D-3 ships encountered per day
D - 1D-2 ships encountered per day
C - 1D-1 ships encountered per day
B - 1D ships encountered per day
A - 1D+1 ships encountered per day
+1 ship encounter per day if main world population 9+

Last edited by a moderator:
A while back I started seeing about revising the starship encounter as well, based on TL, bases, population, Imperial vs non-Imperial. Got so bogged down I gave up. As I was also adjusting the base roll depending on factors as well, so that lower rolls were more likely to be "iffy" encounters, so that local law level also played a part in things (though that only applies to 10D out, but that is where you are moving slow enough for things to be worried about).

My goal was to be able to generate encounters more tailored to each system, similar to the animal encounter tables per world. But again - I got bogged down with too many variables and got confused and lost sight of where I was going! I may try again at some point. But really want to automate it more as well as a system to generate the tables per system UPP (along with what, if any, allegiance you have)

I retire in less than 5 years, so maybe then I'll time :)

My point would be that there is everything flying around that 100D globe, and only a couple in range to make a difference or possibly pirate.

Been mentioned 1000x before, but just for completeness, CT 77 encounters had more pirates at A/B starports, CT 80 more in C/D/E starports. The first is more in line with game reality risk/reward building up to big profit by getting armed/faster ships, the second more simulationist.

Last edited:
I always interpreted "encounter" as "did the PCs have anything interesting happen in-system?" The mechanics of how the encounter happened would seem to be up to the Ref to decide, not precisely calculate.

Back