• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Imperium-sanctioned Citizenship ID QualChip

A simple way to carry ID throughout the Imperium. The Third Imperium would probably have a standard way to have and present ID. Any world that can create it should get the specs for it from an Imperial Ministry of Identification or Department of Grav Vehicles or whatever.

Imperium-sanctioned Citizenship ID Qualifications Chip or QualChip
There will probably be something of the sort.
It will also need a manual (paper) backup for use on low-TL worlds. Yes, starports should have higher TL equipment available. "Should," not "will".

Also, as TL permits, it'll have biometric data for verification, including genetic info.

There will probably be something of the sort.
It will also need a manual (paper) backup for use on low-TL worlds. Yes, starports should have higher TL equipment available. "Should," not "will".

Also, as TL permits, it'll have biometric data for verification, including genetic info.
That sounds right. There could be a 'backup' made every time it's used. Just updated from the last time.

Starports on low-TL worlds might be able to issue/make one for someone leaving the world.

futuristische-darstellung-des-gesichts-eines-mannes-mit-einem-barcode-auf-seiner-stirn-konzeptuelles-bild-der-kontrolle-der-bevolkerung-der-qr-code-enthalt-den-text-gen-2ht90a5.jpg

A simple way to carry ID throughout the Imperium. The Third Imperium would probably have a standard way to have and present ID. Any world that can create it should get the specs for it from an Imperial Ministry of Identification or Department of Grav Vehicles or whatever.

Imperium-sanctioned Citizenship ID Qualifications Chip or QualChip

It was already detailed to some degree in the Milieu:0 Era at TL12:

T4 Core Rules, p.66:

Imperial ID

Also known as the "Universal ID," or more often just the "Universal," this contains authenticated identity information about a person, such as fingerprint, name, date of birth, holographic photo, and so on. This info is encrypted on the card, the encryption being updated every day or so based on an internal clock and computer.

Normally, most transactions just go through a person's comm, which has links to the necessary databases—bank account, passport control, etc. In cases where a more secure ID is required, however, the Office of Imperial Records also is queried, which in turn queries the person's Universal, decrypts the information there based on the current day-and-date code, and can thus provide backup identification.

A Universal is free on most Imperial worlds, but it can be a troublesome process to replace one that has been lost or stolen.

THE VALUE OF ID

In the Imperium, ID is everything. Indeed, there are urban legends and tri-d dramas about people getting lost in the system. After having their ID scrambled somehow, their car would not start, their house locked them out, and they could not even place a comm call to Imperial Services to get the situation fixed.

There are now safeguards built into the system so that in the event this happens, a "safety net" will catch a person in the form of toll-free emergency lines, support services, etc. It can still be a terrible pain, but it happens to only about one person per million lifetimes.

Still, no one wants to be that one person.

While I love the idea of such a thing, I choke on the idea of it working. I look at how hard it is for a single state in a single country (California) to keep their DLs accurate with the small amount of data they carry, and I extrapolate that out to the list you gave and think of all the issues that could befall this single mega-ID.

Now I do remember back in one of the CT Journals being a whole mini game centered around the bureaucratic process, so having something go wrong with an ID could be the basis for a session or running issue but in the long run, I suspect that a true Universal ID would not be the wide and vast repository suggested in the blog.

Of course, this is just my opinion so it is offered as such. :) (y)

I think there would be such a thing, but there are a few caveats:
- Information would generally be out of date.
- It would definitely need a link to the owner's unique biometric or genetic data. It would be too easy to abuse with less advanced forms of ID.

Probably the IISS would also store the information as a backup, so that you could show up at a scout station, wait a few months and get a new one. (For a fee.)

Back