• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Licensing and Manning Requirements

tbeard1999

SOC-14 1K
In the Real World, merchant ships have specific Manning Requirements imposed by the authorities of ports the ships visit. Note that the "captain" of a ship is usually called the "master".

Ships cannot leave a port unless they meet the manning requirements. A ship that starts out with adequate manning *may* be able to get a wavier if it subsequently loses a crewman to events beyond the master's control. A master can "sail short," e.g., without meeting the manning requirements provided the vacancy was without the consent, fault, or collusion of the master, owner, or any other person interested in the vessel, and the master has made a conscientious effort to find a qualified replacement. In addition, the master must be satisfied that the vessel is safe to make the intended voyage.

Here are my suggestions for Book 2 starships (replaces the requirements in Book 2):

SMALL SHIP CREWS (101-1000 tons)

Each ship requires a crew. On small ships, the crew may be one person; on larger ships, the crew can be quite large. The following basic crew positions must be filled:

Command Section
-Licensed Master
-Licensed Chief Mate

One of the crew must also hold a Pilot’s License
One of the crew must also hold a Navigator’s License.

Engineering Section
35 tons of drive/power plant: 1 Licensed Engineer; 1 Licensed Fourth Engineer or higher
36-70 tons: as above, +1 Licensed First Assistant Engineer
71-105 tons: as above +1 Licensed Second Assistant Engineer
106-140 tons: as above +1 Licensed Third Assistant Engineer
141+ tons: as above +1 Licensed Fourth Assistant Engineer

Other
-Unlicensed Steward if high passengers are carried, 1 per eight high passengers carried. If there is more than one steward, the most skilled is designated chief steward (or purser) and draws 10% more salary.
-Certified Medic: Each starship of 200 tons or more must have a certified medic. In addition, there must be at least one Certified Medic or Certified Nurse per 120 passengers carried. If there is more than one medic, the most skilled is designated ship's doctor and draws 10% more pay. Non-starships and small craft do not require medics.
-Unlicensed Gunner: One gunner (gunnery skill-I or better required) may be hired per turret on a ship. Armed small craft require a gunner in addition to the pilot. If there is more than one gunner, the most skilled is designated the chief gunner and draws 10% more pay. The gunner postion may be omitted if there is no major threat to the ship.

A character can ordinarily fill only one licensed slot. However, any licensed Master or Mate can also be a Pilot and/or Navigator.

The problem is that a watch must be kept at all times on the bridge and in the engine section. So effectively, this means that a minimum of 2 people are required in the command and engineering sections. Even then, the watches will be long and grueling. Any licensed Mate can stand watch on the bridge. Any licensed Engineer can stand watch in engineering.

LARGER SHIP CREWS (1001+ tons)

As above, plus:

-Licensed Second Mate
-Licensed Third Mate if ship is 2001+ tons
-Licensed Fourth Mate if ship is 3001 tons+
-At least one Unlicensed Able Spaceman per 1000 tons

These manning requirements are the legal requirements for a ship to leave port.

Every ship requires a Master. Masters are licensed for ranges of tonnage (i.e., 500 tons or less; 501-1000 tons; 1001-2000 tons). The highest license is "unrestricted", and allows him to command any size vessel. The unrestricted license is called the Master Mariner license (usually abbreviated M.M. after the person's name). In CT, I guess it would be called Master Spacer (or Master Spacefarer). Slang for any Master's license is "Master's Ticket" or just "Master's". Master’s licenses can be restricted to non-jump ships if jumps require a lot of management in your Traveller universe.

The Master is often the pilot and will usually handle docking and leaving port. The Master's license requires a significant knowledge of navigation and well, and the Master may even be responsible for primary navigation on smaller ships. I'd suggest that the *minimum* qualifications for a Master be Pilot-2 and Navigation-1. A Master's license also qualifies as any Mate license.

A Master must have held a Chief Mate license previously.

Chief Mates are customarily in charge of cargo loading and most "deck" functions (i.e., non-engineering and non-piloting/navigation). I'd suggest that the *minimum* qualifications for a Chief Mate's license be Pilot-1 and Navigation-1. A Chief Mate's license qualifies as a Second or Third Mate license.

Bigger ships require Second, Third and Fourth Mates (each is also a separate licensed position). Second Mate is customarily the ship's navigator and/or medical officer. Merchant lines often refer to Mates as “Officers” instead. As in “Second Officer”. Mate licenses require a license at the previous lower level (you have to have a Third Mate license before you get a Second Mate license). A license suspension may not include the previous licenses. Second Mate licenses require Pilot-1, Navigation-1 or Medical-1. Third Mate licenses require Pilot-0, Navigation-0 or Medical-0. No requirements for Fourth Mate licenses. A Mate license qualifies as any lower ranked Mate license.

Engineer licenses and suggested minimum skill levels are as follows: Chief Engineer (Eng-2), First Assistant Engineer (Eng-1), Second Assistant Engineer (Eng-1), Third Assistant Engineer (Eng-1), Fourth Assistant Engineer (Eng-0). Licenses can be restricted to certain energy levels (I'd use total drive tonnage) or can be "unlimited". A higher rated license qualifies as any lower rated license.

The remaining crew are usually unlicensed, although the ship's medical officer will have a Certificate of Registry (Medical-1 required).

In addition, licenses are issued separately for Pilots (Pilot-2 minimum) and Navigators (Navigation-1 minimum). So, a Master might also hold a Pilot's license, for instance.

A key thing to note is that since these positions are *licensed*, a ship *must* have the required personnel to legally leave port. If a ship breaks the law, bad things happen. Besides the criminal aspects, the Master will probably have his license suspended for a minimum of six months. Also, insurers do not cover ships that illegally leave port. If your ship is financed, your bank is likely to "call the note" -- require you to pay the remaining balance owed or face foreclosure -- if they find out.

This can be a fun adventure hook. What if a ship requires someone with a Chief Mate license and the only licensed Chief Mate available is a seedy guy with a bad drug habit?

Note that a license is independent of actual skill. An engineer *must* have the appropriate license, even if he has Engineering-7. Whether a character possesses a license on mustering out must be determined. Some suggestions:

The easiest solution is to assume that a character has whatever licenses he has minimum skills for. I would require High Guard naval characters to actually hold a command before getting a Master’s license. Similarly, I would limit Merchants and Pirates to the license appropriate to their final rank. (A master should at least achieve O3+). It is extremely unlikely that a character would get a significant deck license (Third Mate+) *and* a significant engineering license (Second Assistant Engineer+). Engineers do not have to be officers (except for Chief Engineer). Pilot and Navigation licenses can be held by non-officers.

A Naval officer who had a command assignment will get a Master's license for whatever type of ship he commanded. If his command assignment happened while he was a Commander or higher rank, he gets an unlimited license. If he was Lt. Commander, he gets a 2000 tons- restricted license. If he was a Lieutenant or lower rank, he gets a 1000- ton restricted license. If not using High Guard, he gets a Master's license if he reaches 03+. Engineers do not have to be officers (except for Chief Engineer). Pilot and Navigation licenses can be held by non-officers.
Other careers get whatever license they qualify for, with the following restrictions:

A Master’s license requires O4+ if the career has ranks.
A First Mate license requires O3+ if the career has ranks.
A Second Mate license requires O2+ if the career has ranks.
A Chief Engineer must serve at least 2 terms.
Scouts get Master’s licenses if they have the required skills, and serve at least 2 terms.

A character who fails his survival roll but isn't killed might well have his highest license suspended for a period of time.

If a character wants to apply for a license during the campaign, he must pass an examination. Examination fee is cr500. The base chance of success is 5+. DMs: +1 if EDU or INT 9+; -2 per required skill level lacked. +1 if any required skill is at level 3+. Examinations are usually given every 3-6 months, usually on the highest space traffic world in the subsector. Note that most licenses require that you possess previous licenses. So, to get a Master's license, a character will have to get a Chief Mate, Second Mate, Third Mate and Fourth Mate license. Only one license can be applied for at a time. So if examinations are given every 3 months, it will take a character 15 months to get a Master's license.

In the Real World, merchant ships have specific Manning Requirements imposed by the authorities of ports the ships visit. Note that the "captain" of a ship is usually called the "master".

Ships cannot leave a port unless they meet the manning requirements. A ship that starts out with adequate manning *may* be able to get a wavier if it subsequently loses a crewman to events beyond the master's control. A master can "sail short," e.g., without meeting the manning requirements provided the vacancy was without the consent, fault, or collusion of the master, owner, or any other person interested in the vessel, and the master has made a conscientious effort to find a qualified replacement. In addition, the master must be satisfied that the vessel is safe to make the intended voyage.

Here are my suggestions for Book 2 starships (replaces the requirements in Book 2):

SMALL SHIP CREWS (101-1000 tons)

Each ship requires a crew. On small ships, the crew may be one person; on larger ships, the crew can be quite large. The following basic crew positions must be filled:

Command Section
-Licensed Master
-Licensed Chief Mate

One of the crew must also hold a Pilot’s License
One of the crew must also hold a Navigator’s License.

Engineering Section
35 tons of drive/power plant: 1 Licensed Engineer; 1 Licensed Fourth Engineer or higher
36-70 tons: as above, +1 Licensed First Assistant Engineer
71-105 tons: as above +1 Licensed Second Assistant Engineer
106-140 tons: as above +1 Licensed Third Assistant Engineer
141+ tons: as above +1 Licensed Fourth Assistant Engineer

Other
-Unlicensed Steward if high passengers are carried, 1 per eight high passengers carried. If there is more than one steward, the most skilled is designated chief steward (or purser) and draws 10% more salary.
-Certified Medic: Each starship of 200 tons or more must have a certified medic. In addition, there must be at least one Certified Medic or Certified Nurse per 120 passengers carried. If there is more than one medic, the most skilled is designated ship's doctor and draws 10% more pay. Non-starships and small craft do not require medics.
-Unlicensed Gunner: One gunner (gunnery skill-I or better required) may be hired per turret on a ship. Armed small craft require a gunner in addition to the pilot. If there is more than one gunner, the most skilled is designated the chief gunner and draws 10% more pay. The gunner postion may be omitted if there is no major threat to the ship.

A character can ordinarily fill only one licensed slot. However, any licensed Master or Mate can also be a Pilot and/or Navigator.

The problem is that a watch must be kept at all times on the bridge and in the engine section. So effectively, this means that a minimum of 2 people are required in the command and engineering sections. Even then, the watches will be long and grueling. Any licensed Mate can stand watch on the bridge. Any licensed Engineer can stand watch in engineering.

LARGER SHIP CREWS (1001+ tons)

As above, plus:

-Licensed Second Mate
-Licensed Third Mate if ship is 2001+ tons
-Licensed Fourth Mate if ship is 3001 tons+
-At least one Unlicensed Able Spaceman per 1000 tons

These manning requirements are the legal requirements for a ship to leave port.

Every ship requires a Master. Masters are licensed for ranges of tonnage (i.e., 500 tons or less; 501-1000 tons; 1001-2000 tons). The highest license is "unrestricted", and allows him to command any size vessel. The unrestricted license is called the Master Mariner license (usually abbreviated M.M. after the person's name). In CT, I guess it would be called Master Spacer (or Master Spacefarer). Slang for any Master's license is "Master's Ticket" or just "Master's". Master’s licenses can be restricted to non-jump ships if jumps require a lot of management in your Traveller universe.

The Master is often the pilot and will usually handle docking and leaving port. The Master's license requires a significant knowledge of navigation and well, and the Master may even be responsible for primary navigation on smaller ships. I'd suggest that the *minimum* qualifications for a Master be Pilot-2 and Navigation-1. A Master's license also qualifies as any Mate license.

A Master must have held a Chief Mate license previously.

Chief Mates are customarily in charge of cargo loading and most "deck" functions (i.e., non-engineering and non-piloting/navigation). I'd suggest that the *minimum* qualifications for a Chief Mate's license be Pilot-1 and Navigation-1. A Chief Mate's license qualifies as a Second or Third Mate license.

Bigger ships require Second, Third and Fourth Mates (each is also a separate licensed position). Second Mate is customarily the ship's navigator and/or medical officer. Merchant lines often refer to Mates as “Officers” instead. As in “Second Officer”. Mate licenses require a license at the previous lower level (you have to have a Third Mate license before you get a Second Mate license). A license suspension may not include the previous licenses. Second Mate licenses require Pilot-1, Navigation-1 or Medical-1. Third Mate licenses require Pilot-0, Navigation-0 or Medical-0. No requirements for Fourth Mate licenses. A Mate license qualifies as any lower ranked Mate license.

Engineer licenses and suggested minimum skill levels are as follows: Chief Engineer (Eng-2), First Assistant Engineer (Eng-1), Second Assistant Engineer (Eng-1), Third Assistant Engineer (Eng-1), Fourth Assistant Engineer (Eng-0). Licenses can be restricted to certain energy levels (I'd use total drive tonnage) or can be "unlimited". A higher rated license qualifies as any lower rated license.

The remaining crew are usually unlicensed, although the ship's medical officer will have a Certificate of Registry (Medical-1 required).

In addition, licenses are issued separately for Pilots (Pilot-2 minimum) and Navigators (Navigation-1 minimum). So, a Master might also hold a Pilot's license, for instance.

A key thing to note is that since these positions are *licensed*, a ship *must* have the required personnel to legally leave port. If a ship breaks the law, bad things happen. Besides the criminal aspects, the Master will probably have his license suspended for a minimum of six months. Also, insurers do not cover ships that illegally leave port. If your ship is financed, your bank is likely to "call the note" -- require you to pay the remaining balance owed or face foreclosure -- if they find out.

This can be a fun adventure hook. What if a ship requires someone with a Chief Mate license and the only licensed Chief Mate available is a seedy guy with a bad drug habit?

Note that a license is independent of actual skill. An engineer *must* have the appropriate license, even if he has Engineering-7. Whether a character possesses a license on mustering out must be determined. Some suggestions:

The easiest solution is to assume that a character has whatever licenses he has minimum skills for. I would require High Guard naval characters to actually hold a command before getting a Master’s license. Similarly, I would limit Merchants and Pirates to the license appropriate to their final rank. (A master should at least achieve O3+). It is extremely unlikely that a character would get a significant deck license (Third Mate+) *and* a significant engineering license (Second Assistant Engineer+). Engineers do not have to be officers (except for Chief Engineer). Pilot and Navigation licenses can be held by non-officers.

A Naval officer who had a command assignment will get a Master's license for whatever type of ship he commanded. If his command assignment happened while he was a Commander or higher rank, he gets an unlimited license. If he was Lt. Commander, he gets a 2000 tons- restricted license. If he was a Lieutenant or lower rank, he gets a 1000- ton restricted license. If not using High Guard, he gets a Master's license if he reaches 03+. Engineers do not have to be officers (except for Chief Engineer). Pilot and Navigation licenses can be held by non-officers.
Other careers get whatever license they qualify for, with the following restrictions:

A Master’s license requires O4+ if the career has ranks.
A First Mate license requires O3+ if the career has ranks.
A Second Mate license requires O2+ if the career has ranks.
A Chief Engineer must serve at least 2 terms.
Scouts get Master’s licenses if they have the required skills, and serve at least 2 terms.

A character who fails his survival roll but isn't killed might well have his highest license suspended for a period of time.

If a character wants to apply for a license during the campaign, he must pass an examination. Examination fee is cr500. The base chance of success is 5+. DMs: +1 if EDU or INT 9+; -2 per required skill level lacked. +1 if any required skill is at level 3+. Examinations are usually given every 3-6 months, usually on the highest space traffic world in the subsector. Note that most licenses require that you possess previous licenses. So, to get a Master's license, a character will have to get a Chief Mate, Second Mate, Third Mate and Fourth Mate license. Only one license can be applied for at a time. So if examinations are given every 3 months, it will take a character 15 months to get a Master's license.

That's a lovely idea for manipulating the players, err, I mean providing a rich and enjoyable experience for them.

I would apply licensing regulations to commercial civil traffic only. The Navy & Scouts are run by the Imperium anyway, so they are automatically authorised to do what their C.O. tells them. I don't know whether it's still the case, but the British army used to issue separate driving licences, which then had to be replaced with civilian ones on mustering out.

My model here is current air traffic. You need different licences to fly privately (just for your own benefit, unpaid) or commercially for hire, or carrying passengers. The regulatory requirement would also depend on where you are landing, including corridors of space in different classes. It might be perfectly legal to take off from a class E starport without a licence or transponder, and head directly out-system, provided you stay away from the busy areas like 3 planetary diameters around the gas giant.

And I love the idea of licenced pirates. Do they also have quotas for the number of merchants they can raid? Only kidding, I know they need to enter & leave port without attracting attention.

That's a lovely idea for manipulating the players, err, I mean providing a rich and enjoyable experience for them.

I would apply licensing regulations to commercial civil traffic only. The Navy & Scouts are run by the Imperium anyway, so they are automatically authorised to do what their C.O. tells them. I don't know whether it's still the case, but the British army used to issue separate driving licences, which then had to be replaced with civilian ones on mustering out.

My model here is current air traffic. You need different licences to fly privately (just for your own benefit, unpaid) or commercially for hire, or carrying passengers. The regulatory requirement would also depend on where you are landing, including corridors of space in different classes. It might be perfectly legal to take off from a class E starport without a licence or transponder, and head directly out-system, provided you stay away from the busy areas like 3 planetary diameters around the gas giant.

And I love the idea of licenced pirates. Do they also have quotas for the number of merchants they can raid? Only kidding, I know they need to enter & leave port without attracting attention.

Originally posted by Tinker:

<chuckle>

I agree that military starships would be exempt from these rules. However, retired military personnel would get civilian licenses roughly comparable to what they had in their military service. So a Navy commander who commanded a 5000 ton warship would easily meet the qualifications for a Master's ticket when he retired.

As for pirates, I assume that Pirates are "honest businessmen" who are just "doing business". And since manning requirements are enforced by the port authorities, pirate ships would be subject to those requirements if they docked at legitimate ports.

Also, any shipmaster who has financed a starship will have to deal with insurance. No sane bank would finance a multi-million credit starship without requiring casualty insurance. In MTU, Lloyd's of London provides the insurance (as they do today).

Such policies would cover loss of the starship so long as the loss occured in the ordinary course of starship operations. The coverage would exclude damage/loss incurred in illegal operations, military operations, letter of marque operations, and operating without the required minimum crew (unless a port authority wavier is granted).

This last point provides a *real* incentive to follow the rules. If the bank discovers that the ship was operated without insurance coverage, they can declare the entire loan due and foreclose on the starship.

These licensing/manning rules, by the way, are lifted nearly whole cloth from the real world commercial shipping rules.

Originally posted by Tinker:

<chuckle>

I agree that military starships would be exempt from these rules. However, retired military personnel would get civilian licenses roughly comparable to what they had in their military service. So a Navy commander who commanded a 5000 ton warship would easily meet the qualifications for a Master's ticket when he retired.

As for pirates, I assume that Pirates are "honest businessmen" who are just "doing business". And since manning requirements are enforced by the port authorities, pirate ships would be subject to those requirements if they docked at legitimate ports.

Also, any shipmaster who has financed a starship will have to deal with insurance. No sane bank would finance a multi-million credit starship without requiring casualty insurance. In MTU, Lloyd's of London provides the insurance (as they do today).

Such policies would cover loss of the starship so long as the loss occured in the ordinary course of starship operations. The coverage would exclude damage/loss incurred in illegal operations, military operations, letter of marque operations, and operating without the required minimum crew (unless a port authority wavier is granted).

This last point provides a *real* incentive to follow the rules. If the bank discovers that the ship was operated without insurance coverage, they can declare the entire loan due and foreclose on the starship.

These licensing/manning rules, by the way, are lifted nearly whole cloth from the real world commercial shipping rules.

Back