• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

MGT Only: MgT2e Target Practice using Effect

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
So, a Target is a (usually) stationary object with concentric circles on it. The smaller the circle, the higher the score. Therefore, using Effect, the Target would look like this:

0 - Outer Circle (Marginal Success)
1+ - Inner Circle (Average Success)
6+ - Bullseye (Exceptional Success)

Joe Traveller was a Scout and only learned a little about Gun Combat. So, if Joe has Gun Combat-0 and a DEX DM of 0, he can only Aim and use LaserSights for a Bonus to Attack. He decides to Aim for one whole Round of 3 Minor Actions, and Aim for his Minor Action in his second Round, giving him a +4 Aiming Bonus. Add the LaserSights Bonus of +1 and he adds a +5 to his roll. He needs an Average check of 8+. The Target is 10 meters away - Standard Range for a Gauss Pistol..

He rolls a 5 + 2 for 7 and adds the +5 Bonus for a 12!

Joe hits the Inner Circle on the Target with an Effect of 4.

He Aims again, and after Aiming for one Minor Action in the second Round, fires again with a +5 Bonus.

He rolls a 4 +1 for a 5 and adds the +5 Bonus for 10, hitting the Inner Circle again with an Effect of 2.

So now Mary Traveller walks up to take a turn. She was in the Imperial Army. She has Gun Combat-2 and a DEX DM of +1. Using a Gauss Pistol with LaserSights like Joe, she Aims just like Joe did.

She rolls 2 + 2 for 4, adds Gun Combat-2, DEX DM +1 for 7, and the Aiming and LaserSights Bonus of +5 for a total of 12, hitting the Inner Circle with an Effect of 4.

She Aims again, the same as before.

She rolls 2 +4 for 6, adds Gun Combat-2 and DEX DM of +1 for 9, and the Aiming and LaserSights DM of +5 for a total of 14, hitting the Bullseye! with an Effect of 6!

You can see what's important for Firing a Ranged Weapon:

Gun Combat skill
High DEX score
Aiming
LaserSights

And if the Target is at Short Range, you even get another +1.

All of those DMs and Bonuses add up.

Try the Target out with your own characters. Keep one on your ship for downtime.

A couple of things I forgot: The Effects Table is on pg. 59. I'm wondering if there should be a Boon (also pg. 59) for the Target being stationary. I can't believe how much Aiming ramps up your chances. And how much does a Moving Target affect your Aim? You could use this for throwing Darts in a bar, too, I'd think. Swap out Gun Combat for whatever skill Darts falls under - or just a DEX check.

What do you think?

You could use this for throwing Darts in a bar, too, I'd think.

Yes, of course.

I'm wondering if there should be a Boon (also pg. 59) for the Target being stationary.

Mongoose does not really go into that much detail.

I would say that the default rules and to hit chances presumes a "normal" fight, where the target tries to not be hit. So, I agree that a bonus would be in order for a target that is oblivious and just stands there.

Yeah you could definitely use Effect for varying degrees of success. Like
+0 - +1 : "You Hit"
+2 - +5 : "You Hit with +1 damage"
+6 + : "You Hit with +1 damage and knock them prone" for example.

Or regarding called shots, your dart board target is a perfect example. You need Effect +6 or better otherwise you hit near to, but not, the bullseye. Or the target's head. Or the airlock keypad or what have you. Some Called Shots might only require Effect +4 or what have you.

It seems out of whack for the 2D6 curve but there's a lot of other factors when you're in combat - movement of shooter and/or target, concealment and cover, range as you noted, and armor which is really important.

Another great use of Effect is for Investigate, Perception, Persuade and other such skills, where a greater Effect can provide more and better clues, information or more favorable reactions. Like
+0 - +1 : You find info indicating your quarry will be leaving soon
+2 - +5 : You find info indicating your quarry will be leaving on Tuesday via the downport
+6 + : You find info indicating your quarry will be leaving Tuesday on the tramp trader Rare Bird which is docked in Berth 23

Glad you brought this up, it's a fun mechanic.

Target Practice

TL-13 Gauss Pistol (3D)
Laser Sight, TL-10

Gun Combat-0
DEX DM +0

+3 Aim for one whole Round of 3 Minor Actions
+1 Aim for one Minor Action in the second Round

+1 Laser Sights

Rolls on Google Dice Roller

2 + 6 (+ 5 DMs ) = 13
(5 above 8+ = 1+ - Inner Circle (Average Success)

3 + 1 (+ 5 DMs ) = 9
(1 above 8+ = 1+ - Inner Circle (Average Success)

3 + 6 (+ 5 DMs ) = 14
(6 above 8+ = 6+ - Bullseye (Exceptional Success)

4 + 4 (+ 5 DMs ) = 13
(5 above 8+ = 1+ - Inner Circle (Average Success)

2 + 5 (+ 5 DMs ) = 12
(4 above 8+ = 1+ - Inner Circle (Average Success)

You almost can't miss with that Aiming rule. Even without the Laser Sight (which I'd think would give more of a Bonus), I still never missed.

Snake-eyes (1 + 1) would be the only losing Roll.

Anyone with any kind of Gun Combat skill and DEX would never miss. That's why Traveller Combat is deadly, I guess.

Back