• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Military Intelligence?

Duke

SOC-9
Once again, I apologize for a newbie question, but...
Other than the SORAG supp from Paranoia, are there any OCT or semi-official sources for intelligence organizations in the CT milieu?

I've seen references to SOLsec, IRIS, etc, but I don't have those resources and was wondering where (in what material) the 411 can be found, especially character gen, and other info.

Oh, and by the way, a little 6 smooching here, so avert your eyes, as a newbie, I would like to officially thank all the people on the front lines and behind the scenes that work to keep this site such a valuable resource for us Traveller junkies, new and old. I know it can be a pain, seeing the same questions all the time and dealing with all the hassles of maintaining a website, but guys, it really is appreciated. Thanks.

Other than the SORAG supp from Paranoia, are there any OCT or semi-official sources for intelligence organizations in the CT milieu?

I've seen references to SOLsec, IRIS, etc, but I don't have those resources and was wondering where (in what material) the 411 can be found, especially character gen, and other info.

There has been some material on IRIS, but I'd avoid it like the plague myself...

Oh, and by the way, a little 6 smooching here, so avert your eyes, as a newbie, I would like to officially thank all the people on the front lines and behind the scenes that work to keep this site such a valuable resource for us Traveller junkies, new and old. I know it can be a pain, seeing the same questions all the time and dealing with all the hassles of maintaining a website, but guys, it really is appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the thanks! It's much appreciated!

Hey Duke,

SolSec is covered in DGP's Solomani and Aslan, which gives both background and info on SolSec character generation.

Background info on IRIS can be found in Challenge magazine No.33, while the character generation rules are in Challenge No.34. These rules can make for some very powerful characters - some might say too powerful. But if you are looking to make a superspy, this might be just the place.

And as for our Admins and Moderators, I think some gentle words of praise and thanks are always in order. Something we (I) don't do often enough. So I second your motion! Thanks Guys.

Last edited:
SolSec is also covered in CT Alien Module 6.

I'm not sure about the canonicity of SORAG. IIRC one of the GT books mentions another Zho agency. There's also the Tavrchedl', of course.

The 3I has Imperial Naval Intelligence, Imperial Army Intelligence, IISS Security Branch (and the Special Security Service, aka S3), IRIS (maybe), and the Ministry of Justice. An Imperial Secret Service has been mentioned.

here's a page that lists canon references to various Imperial agencies of all types including several intelligence agencies.

http://www.io.com/~thrash/bureau.html

The Milieu-Zero PDF lists several similar agencies for Cleon's 3i and has a nice 3 page spread on them, including adventure seeds, p50.

Only picked up a couple of issues of Challenge, so never read the IRIS info. Is there any information readily available online on IRIS. Sounds like a reworking of IBIS (Imperial Bureau of Investigative Services) from Dragon Magazine. Ran a few IBIS characters in my old 80's campaigns. One of my current Imperial NPC's is my wife's IBIS character, Gelt.

Only picked up a couple of issues of Challenge, so never read the IRIS info. Is there any information readily available online on IRIS. Sounds like a reworking of IBIS (Imperial Bureau of Investigative Services) from Dragon Magazine. Ran a few IBIS characters in my old 80's campaigns. One of my current Imperial NPC's is my wife's IBIS character, Gelt.

I don’t know of any online references to IRIS, but I think I can offer this info without getting into trouble:

The Imperial Regency of Intelligence and Security (IRIS for short) was offered as a MegaTraveller variant by Charles E. Gannon.

The agency was established by Empress Arbellatra after the civil war of the early 600’s. It has several mandates, but the first and most important is to “Ensure and enforce the smooth and lawful succession of rightful heirs to the Imperial Throne.”

Obviously that didn’t go so well.

IRIS, or the regency as it is sometimes called, appears in a number of Traveller News Service posts during the rebellion era. These can be found in Survival Margin. A journal entry by Strephon in that same work seems to cast some doubt as to the authenticity of IRIS however.

So one is free to play them pretty much any way one wants to – or not.

Hope that helps.

There has been some material on IRIS, but I'd avoid it like the plague myself...

So, uh, can I ask what you have against IRIS without getting another warning?

Now, I'm not asking what you have against IRIS, I'm asking if I can ask what you have against IRIS.

Back