• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

(Near) Unlimited Duration Ship using Solar

Sir Brad

SOC-13
I was thinking could you set up a ship using Solar to run a cracking plant that feeds a closed loop turbine engine.

so Solar powers a Cracking Plant that cracks Water that you burn in the Turbine to give you Energy & Water that gets recycled in to the Cracking plant that is powered by Solar and around and around you go. add some batteries and you have a virtually unlimited duration ship energy wise, you may have to top off the plant water every so often. In system you may be able to run at low acceleration off of just Solar but may have to cut in the Turbine at high acceleration and when out system or in interstellar space.

Is this a bit cheaty or is there something like it in Stare Cruiser? I haven't had a copy of it for many years now.

Your energy input is limited by the area of your solar panels and their efficiency.

A 100% efficient solar panel could absorb no more than 1361W per square metre in orbit around the Earth, currently we can get 46% efficiency tops.

Every energy transfer process you then conduct will reduce the amount of useful energy you have based on the efficiency of the transfer.

You will then need radiators to get rid of the waste heat.

I was thinking could you set up a ship using Solar to run a cracking plant that feeds a closed loop turbine engine.

so Solar powers a Cracking Plant that cracks Water that you burn in the Turbine to give you Energy & Water that gets recycled in to the Cracking plant that is powered by Solar and around and around you go. add some batteries and you have a virtually unlimited duration ship energy wise, you may have to top off the plant water every so often. In system you may be able to run at low acceleration off of just Solar but may have to cut in the Turbine at high acceleration and when out system or in interstellar space.

Is this a bit cheaty or is there something like it in Stare Cruiser? I haven't had a copy of it for many years now.

I don't own Star Cruiser, but in MgT2300AD this can be done with the fuell cells powers plants, if you have space dedicated to storage of the water resultant from the use of fuel, but not with MHD ones.

Is this a bit cheaty or is there something like it in Stare Cruiser?

It's not cheaty at all, and you can do it in 2300.

The main bottleneck is how fast your solar panels gather power to crack the water back into Hydrogen and Oxygen for your reaction (and how much fuel tankage you have).

If you're willing to move the ship around for a while, then spend some days or even weeks to crack the "waste" water back into fuel before doing other stuff, it's most certainly do-able.

not for military use, but for Mercantile or Exploration use. it's all about keeping the operation costs down. you have the out system to in system transit time, for Merchants crack wile doing cargo transfer. for Exploration crack wile the ground team dose their job.

In the classic 2300AD DG, page 65, the Closed-cycle Fuell Cells (quite close to what you say) and the Solar Arrays (needed for them) are described. Maybe you should look at them...

not for military use, but for Mercantile or Exploration use. it's all about keeping the operation costs down. you have the out system to in system transit time, for Merchants crack wile doing cargo transfer. for Exploration crack wile the ground team dose their job.

I think it'd mostly be exploration ships. Water ice may not necessarily be easily accessible for ship in a new system, so parking the ship in an area with abundant sunlight and just recycling their fuel while they take readings and so on would be a pretty ideal choice and it gives the crew peace of mind - while water ice is common in the universe, crews may have (unreasonable?) fears of jumping to that one system that has none and being stranded.

Scout ships might also get quite a bit of use out of such a system. "Picket" ships were common during the Kafer War, arriving in an undeveloped system, finding some place to hide (like in a ring system or possibly on a moon) and just watching who passes through for weeks or until something of interest passes through at which point they'd speed off to report. Such a ship wants to find a good hiding spot and sit there, which is reasonably ideal for recycling water back into fuel.

I doubt Mechant ships would use such a system. Unlike Traveller, ships like the Mammoth in 2300 show plainly that 2300 uses containerized freight. Time is money, you don't want to sit there with a fully loaded ship that is just waiting for fuel to finish cracking; the cost of buying pre-cracked fuel is likely a non-expense compared to the time you save just being able to speed off the moment your ship is loaded with freight.

but with no FTL Coms you have to call up for ships to collect your cargo, given the cost of fuel you will want to have your next cargo to be loaded, wait for them to boost, Load then brake orbit.

unless you are on a fixed seclude and your company can afford to tie up Cargo Lifters waiting for you you will have to wait, even then what if your off seclude? it costs more to run Interface Craft than Interstellar Ships.

I think it'd mostly be exploration ships. Water ice may not necessarily be easily accessible for ship in a new system, so parking the ship in an area with abundant sunlight and just recycling their fuel while they take readings and so on would be a pretty ideal choice and it gives the crew peace of mind - while water ice is common in the universe, crews may have (unreasonable?) fears of jumping to that one system that has none and being stranded.

Scout ships might also get quite a bit of use out of such a system. "Picket" ships were common during the Kafer War, arriving in an undeveloped system, finding some place to hide (like in a ring system or possibly on a moon) and just watching who passes through for weeks or until something of interest passes through at which point they'd speed off to report. Such a ship wants to find a good hiding spot and sit there, which is reasonably ideal for recycling water back into fuel.

I doubt Mechant ships would use such a system. Unlike Traveller, ships like the Mammoth in 2300 show plainly that 2300 uses containerized freight. Time is money, you don't want to sit there with a fully loaded ship that is just waiting for fuel to finish cracking; the cost of buying pre-cracked fuel is likely a non-expense compared to the time you save just being able to speed off the moment your ship is loaded with freight.

As for scouts or military pickets, I guess they mostly use other kind of power plants not needing such refuelling (moslty fission ones, as fusion ones are too large).

Scouts need to have long endurance, and even those closed systems would have some loss, andas minimal as it might be, it mounts with each stop. Military pickets must be ready to flee at short notice, andhaving to process the fuel will take quite longer than the stutterwarp discharge (that is the minimum time stopped).

As for merchant ships, most are dependand on local interface and Orbital Facilities, and those can supply the fuel as much as load/unload cargo and passengers.

but with no FTL Coms you have to call up for ships to collect your cargo, given the cost of fuel you will want to have your next cargo to be loaded, wait for them to boost, Load then brake orbit.

unless you are on a fixed seclude and your company can afford to tie up Cargo Lifters waiting for you you will have to wait, even then what if your off seclude? it costs more to run Interface Craft than Interstellar Ships.

In most cases, the cargo waiting to be exported will be lifted to orbital facilites to wait for ships to take it, and cargo arriving at system will be unloaded there too, waiting to be downlifted to the surface as interface services allow for it.

In less developed areas, most ships will have their own interface systems, be by being able to land, or something like my own Steer Wheel Warp Frame and Barges designed system (in this case for MgT2300AD, not sure if it could be done with Star Cruiser).

Last edited:
Back