• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

NPC: Marine 1st Lieutenant Samantha Dare

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
Samantha Dare

Marine (O2, ret.) 7CAB47 42 yrs 6 terms KCr 18

Fighter-5(Beams-1,Slug Throwers-1), Fluidics-1, Flyer-0(Winged-1), Fwd Obs-1, Heavy Wpns-1, Hostile Env-1, Leader-4, Minor-1, Polymers-1, Programmer-1, Sapper-1, Stealth-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Survival-2, Tactics-4

Ship Share(1)

1st leftenant Samantha Dare is the go-to problem solver for the government of the Republic of Regina (1910 Spinward Marches). Samantha is quite tall, and while not particularly muscular, she has a poise that speaks of confidence and strength. Though not specifically a sharpshooter, she nevertheless has fantastic reflexes and balance, and the skill with firearms to hit a human-sized person at 1 km distance with ease -- due to an implanted far-vision module in one eye. She is comfortable in social situations, and tends to take the initiative in conversations, though knows when to talk and when to back off. Her skills look natural, but in fact they are learned.

Growing up on the streets of Menorb (1803 Spinward Marches), she learned early how to rely on informal networks (Streetwise) and how to cater to the upper classes (Steward). She signed up for the Republic Marines as soon as she was able. As a new recruit she showed herself a capable marine, gaining a medal for conspicuous gallantry in combat at the Vougzgath Strike. She quickly mastered laser weaponry as well as slug throwers of all stripes. She was promoted -- fast -- to a 1st leftenant, and stayed there, preferring "involvement" to "a desk job".

By her second term, she had branched out, as command school broadened her experience to cover technologically useful sciences. She learned to modify routines in the synthetic personalities running many starships. In her third term she had started to pick up the knack for giving effective orders to others, and certified on winged flying craft. She also learned that sometimes stealth is as good as direct assault. She learned that the hard way, suffering minor injuries due to crashing her flyer at the Battle of Kishkankanun; these injuries would follow her to the end of her career.

By the time she was 34, aging had begun to assert itself, and she realized that time was not her friend. Nevertheless she pushed on with her career, becoming increasingly skilled as a leader and pretty good in survival situations as well. By the end of her fifth term, Samantha had also become a skilled tactician, and a very good shot with all energy-or-bullet weapons.

In her final term, she picked up more direct combat experience, "shooting, leading, and plotting" as she put it, in various skirmishes in the toxic atmosphere of Yorbund (2303 Spinward Marches). The retirement program granted her several years of rehab, as well as one share ownership of a starship: this she pooled with other retired teammates, and together they formed a group of problem solvers for the various worlds in the Republic. Seeing a good thing, Regina subsidized their operations in exchange for part-time help on a negotiated, ad hoc basis.

Last edited:
the skill with firearms to hit a human-sized person at 1 km distance with ease -- and without the need for a telescope.

uh ... well ....

She was promoted -- fast -- to a 1st leftenant, and stayed there ... 6 terms ....

the united states military has a policy of "up or out", meaning that officers which are not promoted are dismissed. what other polices are there, how do they work, and what are the consequences of those policies? for example in the soviet red army officers were the core of the army and performed all significant work - for example it was lieutenants that operated radio communications - while enlisted were almost universally drafted 2-years-in and then right back out again. what is the military culture and environment for samantha?

uh ... well ....

OK, so sue me, I haven't shot a gun since I was 8, and don't read about marksmanship. Or else kindly suggest an alternate reading that makes more sense. Such as "WITH a scope".

what is the military culture and environment for samantha?
This is the Traveller 5 rules, straight up. Presumably then this is Marc Miller's military culture and environment.

Once again, sue me, I've never been in the military, nor has my dad, or mom, or uncles and aunts, or grandparents or cousins... except my father-in-law, and he doesn't like to talk about Vietnam.

ok. "with a scope".

well, I was hoping more for a discussion of military culture and practices, and someone remaining a 1st leftenant for five terms seems to be a good jumping off point for that.

Yeah, with scope!

ok. "with a scope".

well, I was hoping more for a discussion of military culture and practices, and someone remaining a 1st leftenant for five terms seems to be a good jumping off point for that.
Well, I haven't shot rifle in decades and handgun in some years but yeah 1 Km is impossible with only iron sights. Hell, with only iron sights beyond about 10 meters for a handgun and about 100 meters with a rifle is good shooting, both slug obvisiously since a laser pretty much goes till it hits or attenuates.

Flykiller, I think her Edu might hurt her in Promotion. I mean as long as you keep it military she is fine, outside of that and she has problems, she is smart enough just well not educated outside military (Marine) matters and that might help her keep position and rank.

I figure that as long as you are being useful the Imperial Armed Forces is fine with 45 year old Lieutenants. Again it keeps with that Age of Sail meme, hell most folks forget that Mister Lost My Ship Bligh was only an LT when he commanded the HMS Bounty. So, to me this is fine and part and parcel of IAF policies.

Last edited:
Again it keeps with that Age of Sail meme, hell most folks forget that Mister Lost My Ship Bligh was only an LT when he commanded the HMS Bounty. So, to me this is fine and part and parcel of IAF policies.

in that movie indiana jones and the temple of doom the british infantry commander at the end was a grayhaired man who appeared to be in his 60's, but he was a lieutenant. I've wondered if that was just standard british policy in remote colonial posts, where a high-ranking officer simply wasn't appropriate but where great experience was necessary. I suppose the five sisters subsector would have similar considerations - few high-ranking officers would care to be stationed in the boondocks, and many of the posts would be staffed by low-ranking but older officers.

Sorry fly, I'm having a crappy day, and replied poorly. But I truly did not understand where you were going with it.

Just when I thought I had it figured out.

Isn't the pattern Knowledge, Knowledge, Skill? I don't understand how Fighter is anything other than -1 in this example.

Help.

Knowledge, Knowledge, then SKIIIIIIIILLLLLLL BABY.

The first time she got Fighter, I had to pick a Knowledge, right? So, Fighter:0(Slug Throwers:1).
The second time she got Fighter, I had to do it again, so picked Beams. Fighter:0(Beams:1, Slug Throwers:1).

But the third time, she had paid her dues, and so could take levels directly in Fighter. Fighter:1(Beams:1, Slug Throwers:1).
And the fourth time similarly. Fighter:2(Beams:1, Slug Throwers:1).
And fifth. Fighter:3(Beams:1, Slug Throwers:1).
And sixth. Fighter:4(Beams:1, Slug Throwers:1).
And seventh. Fighter:5(Beams:1, Slug Throwers:1).

ok. "with a scope".

It's happened in the UK military, historically.

In the US, it's not happened since the 19th C.

In the 19th C, there was no "up-or-out" in the US military.

For enlisted: a guy joined a regiment, and the colonel picked the sergeants and corporals from the men of the regiment. When the regiment disbanded, the men might enlist in another regiment. Former NCO's usually got made NCO's in new regiments. The Regiment was Not, unlike the UK, a permanent standing organization.

For Officers, the officer joined a Branch or Corps, and served within for his or her whole career. Junior Officers (3LT* to Cpt) were promoted within the regiment. Majors and LtCol were promoted within the regiment, or by transfer to another regiment (usually one that was rebuilding after losses, sometimes to a new one). Colonels were usually picked by HQ from the field grade officers, and usually upon recommendation of their Colonel. Generals were commissioned by Congress - usually from the Colonels and LtCol, but sometimes majors and even captains. Many Generals were not actually Generals - Capt Geo. A. Custer was breveted by the War Department as a Major General but never confirmed as such by congressional commission, so after the war, he "reverted" back to being a captain, for which he was properly commissioned, and was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel. To be promoted out of regiment required that either your Colonel supported it, or that you'd been asked for by the colonel of the receiving unit.

*3Lt was never formally authorized, but was used. They were individuals eligible for commission, but not yet commissioned, appointed to an officer slot. I've seen it used in 1890's records. Officer uniforms, but without rank (or with a corps-colored but unbordered strap at the shoulder; at the time, a lieutenant was the same size strap, 2LT had border, 1 LT had border and a single bar at each end, all stitched of gilt or silver depending upon branch).

Number wun! Not the US military!!

Number too! I thought up-or-out was for Captain and higher...

*shrugs*

I was and am a lowly PFC. :D

I thought up-or-out was for Captain and higher...

in the u.s. navy everyone who is breathing makes 03. our division officer, when asked by our captain what his life goals were, answered, " to drink beer and shoot pool". he was promoted to 03 right on schedule.

04 and higher, it's very cutthroat. most dream of being admirals but no matter how good you are there's only so many slots, so there's only so many promotions that go only to those who have perfect records, and the rest are dismissed even if they too have perfect records. anyone with a record that is less than immaculate has no chance. the competition for those slots affects officer behavior, ship operations, and ship status. it boils down to avoiding any and all problems that might cause the slightest bad mention in an officer evaluation. for example out of 28 officers operational in engineering only 1 would allow any maintenance to be performed during his watch. the rest just said no, for fear of a problem or incident, even a minor one, that would destroy his career. the 1 didn't care, he just authorized everything. we would stack up all our maintenance waiting for him to come on watch, then pile down and try to get everything done before he went off watch.

can't speak to the rest of the services but I imagine they are similar.

Number wun! Not the US military!!

Number too! I thought up-or-out was for Captain and higher...

*shrugs*

I was and am a lowly PFC. :D

By US Federal Law, there is up-or-out for all warrant and officer grades. Passed by 3 times, and you're done. (10 USC 36). The 1980 Defense Officer Personnel Management Act made it twice.

Currently...
Promotion to captain is almost automatic - 100% of those eligible for O-2 make it. For O-3, about 95% of those eligible are selected. It drops from there. So, to not make Captain, one has to be lowest 5% of the eligible blokes. To be put out, you have to remain such for a full year.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2015/06/11/up-or-out-carson-pentagon/71067386/
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/subtitle-A/part-II/chapter-36

By US Federal Law, there is up-or-out for all warrant and officer grades. Passed by 3 times, and you're done. (10 USC 36). The 1980 Defense Officer Personnel Management Act made it twice.

Currently...
Promotion to captain is almost automatic - 100% of those eligible for O-2 make it. For O-3, about 95% of those eligible are selected. It drops from there. So, to not make Captain, one has to be lowest 5% of the eligible blokes. To be put out, you have to remain such for a full year.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2015/06/11/up-or-out-carson-pentagon/71067386/
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/subtitle-A/part-II/chapter-36

So my friend the Jar Head who made O-4 2 years early must be doing ok.

Currently...

It strikes me that the "Army" or "Soldier" career in Traveller is very much like this in effect, though not explicitly in the rules.

When I generate a CT Army character, he usually jumps up the promotion ladder and then gets mustered out. Fast.

So while it's not the same rule, it has that sort of feel.

Decide on your military culture for planets, subsectors and Imperium/Big Polity.

Each should be different since they are built to differing roles.

Don't forget to factor in the 'private' military role that the mercs occupy, I imagine interstellar governments with 100s plus years of experience in such matters intentionally build in room for the freelancers as a cheap/specialized/disposable augment to regular forces, to include producing an excess of ex-service precisely to be able to expand fast and have a pool of talent for situations.

She was promoted -- fast -- to a 1st leftenant, and stayed there ... 6 terms ....

Yeah, that hoary old one.

Even besides all the up-or-out discussion, there's still the personnel management department (Bureau of Personnel, Department of Sophont Resources, Officer Career Management Agency, whatever you preference) that holds the key to it all here.

They decide where officers are posted based on 1. The needs of the Service and only then 2. The preferences of the member. 2 trumps 1 when a recognised priority personal circumstance is waved in their faces, otherwise that's it.

So she could need to have a background mystery element added that gives some clue as to why she was so successful but then evaded all postings that took her away from her beloved ops.

On that note, people who go stay on operations for too long generally tend to go a little sideways. That's another reason they're posted to instructor roles, headquarters positions, or other sanity-building opportunities. Again, if she had a powerful patron who wanted her to do what she does best out there in the field, no problem.

Just sayin'...

There's also the Peter Principle: A person is promoted to the level of their incompetence.

Perhaps she's been promoted and broken back a few times.
Perhaps she can't pass a Captain's Promotion Board.
Perhaps she's happy as an LT, and in some staff job that nobody wants, so makes no effort to take the captain's training.

Or, perhaps she's from a Vilani unit, and she's only missed promotion twice. ;)

There's also the Peter Principle: A person is promoted to the level of their incompetence.

Perhaps she's been promoted and broken back a few times.
Perhaps she can't pass a Captain's Promotion Board.
Perhaps she's happy as an LT, and in some staff job that nobody wants, so makes no effort to take the captain's training.

Or, perhaps she's from a Vilani unit, and she's only missed promotion twice. ;)

Or simple bureaucracy. She wasn't noticed enough to be given any specific attention, despite her quick initial rise in rank, so the gears of bureaucracy misassigned her thereafter.

Back