• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

O2 Concentrator

Carlobrand

SOC-14 1K
Marquis
Elsewhere we briefly touched on the oddity of many shirtsleeve worlds all having O2 concentrations within comfortable range for humans.

Comfortable range, by the way, is somewhere between about 19.5 and 22 percent, as far as OSHA is concerned. Lower than that, you fatigue easily - you can adapt given enough weeks, but it's a bit of a problem for people coming in from higher O2 regimes. Humans can actually adapt to quite a bit: Sherpas were documented to be functioning fairly normally on one Himalayas climb with O2 concentrations in the 70's at the 18,000 foot mark (about half an atmosphere pressure), levels that would put the rest of us in a hospital with an O2 cannula in our nose. Humans have settled regions as high as 15,000 feet, with air pressure 56-57% of sea level. However, us travelling types are likely to find such altitudes quite uncomfortable.

(Higher O2 concentrations, things are more combustible and burn brighter, not extremely so at 23 percent but enough to be problematic in a work environment, apparently.)

At any rate, the idea that the various planets might actually vary in O2 concentrations brought to mind an item of modern tech: the O2 concentrator.

The O2 concentrator is a machine whose job is to take normal air and concentrate the oxygen in of it - in the modern world, so that some poor soul with a respiratory problem can breathe it. It does this by compressing air into a container that holds a mineral that traps nitrogen - a zeolite. The nitrogen gets trapped, the compressed air becomes almost pure oxygen. The machine then vents the oxygen into a reservoir, from which the patient can breathe it. In the process pressure drops, and the zeolite starts releasing the nitrogen. At that point, the machine closes the valve to the reservoir and opens up another, the zeolite releases the last of the nitrogen, the depleted air mix is released into the surrounding air, and a new air charge drawn in and pressurized to start the process again. Reservoir ends up delivering a 90% pure O2 mix to the patient. Unlike O2 bottles, which carry a limited charge and can break, releasing their O2 (and going all frosty in the process, which is actually rather neat to see), the concentrator can keep delivering O2 as long as there's air around it and power to run it.

Standard O2 concentrators draw about 300 watts to deliver 5 liters per minute and weigh 20 to 40 pounds; the newer ones can deliver 10 liters per minute and draw a bit under 600 watts. Battery-powered shoulder-carry models exist in the 10-pound range, delivering 2 liters per minute for about 40-45 minutes continuous or 3.5 hours in "pulsed" doses (the idea being to deliver the O2 only when you're actually inhaling).

A shoulder-carried battery-powered O2 concentrator - especially with Imperial battery tech to back it - opens up the possibility of creating worlds that don't all have to be carbon copies of Earth's atmosphere, worlds with standard-pressure atmospheres but sub-par O2 concentrations where the human population runs around wearing concentrators with cannulae under their noses. That assumes of course the atmosphere is otherwise dominated by nitrogen. There are strategies for bleeding out other gases, even CO2, but I'm not real familiar with them.

Wouldn't something like this kind of tech be required for the TL 5 Respirator in Traveller? There is no mention of any oxy tank to go with the mask, that I can recall. Maybe it is set too low at TL 5?

Seems like in Traveller terms, your worlds with standard pressure but low oxygen would just be handled as a special kind of taint, requiring a respirator or combination mask rather than filter mask. (BTW, does anybody ever buy just the filter or just the respirator if a combo mask is available? I sure never do!)

A shoulder-carried battery-powered O2 concentrator - especially with Imperial battery tech to back it - opens up the possibility of creating worlds that don't all have to be carbon copies of Earth's atmosphere, worlds with standard-pressure atmospheres but sub-par O2 concentrations where the human population runs around wearing concentrators with cannulae under their noses. That assumes of course the atmosphere is otherwise dominated by nitrogen. There are strategies for bleeding out other gases, even CO2, but I'm not real familiar with them.
That's a neat idea. We could call them 'worlds with very thin atmospheres' (Which, in Traveller actually means 'worlds with too little oxygen').

Hans

The respirator is simply sucking in atmosphere IIRC. It's not increasing the partial pressure of O2, just increasing the overall pressure of what's there. That's pretty easy to do. But, yeah, TL5 seems way low given the size.

Wouldn't something like this kind of tech be required for the TL 5 Respirator in Traveller? There is no mention of any oxy tank to go with the mask, that I can recall. Maybe it is set too low at TL 5?

I see those respirators more like the CPAP (Countinuous Positive Alveolar Presure) devices some people with breathing problems use while sleeping: they rise the atmospherical presure as a whole by insuflating more air, not just one of the gases of the atmosphere.

That's a neat idea. We could call them 'worlds with very thin atmospheres' (Which, in Traveller actually means 'worlds with too little oxygen').

I see two diferent things a thin atmosphere and a low oxigen atmosphere. While a thin atmosphere is low atmospheric presure, a low oxigen one can have normal presure, just not enough oxigen for people to breathe it.

IIRC somewhere in traveller I've read low oxigen content as one of the possibilities for a tainted atmosphere, not as thin/very thin one.

Last edited:
I see two diferent things a thin atmosphere and a low oxigen atmosphere. While a thin atmosphere is low atmospheric presure, a low oxigen one can have normal presure, just not enough oxigen for people to breathe it.

IIRC somewhere in travellr I've read low oxigen content as one of the possibilities for a tainted atmosphere, not as thin(very thin one.

All very true, but the only instrument needed to survive in very thin atmospheres is a compressor, and the thing needed to survive tainted atmospheres is a filter mask -- not a compressor.

Hans

All very true, but the only instrument needed to survive in very thin atmospheres is a compressor, and the thing needed to survive tainted atmospheres is a filter mask -- not a compressor.

And to survive in a low oxigen atmosphere (assuming other gases are not toxic) you'd only need some oxigen supplement, neither filter mask nor copressor.

If it was too much nitrogen, as it can be toxic in too high concentration, I'd use a venturi mask (as those used in hospitals), so that the percentage of oxigen would be close to the 20% people is confortable with, so also lowering the nitrogen percentage to non-toxic levels.

Rancke, McPerth, you two are discussing from two slightly different perspectives, I think. McPerth is talking in terms of the more advanced worldgen, while Rancke appears to be speaking from LBB2. Once you get into the PITA level of detail in worldgen, "taint" takes on a more nuanced meaning, including for example too much nitrogen in the atmosphere (while the atmo code describes the pressure). (By definition, if there isn't enough O2, there must be too much of something else, if it's standard atmo pressure.)

Rancke, McPerth, you two are discussing from two slightly different perspectives, I think. McPerth is talking in terms of the more advanced worldgen, while Rancke appears to be speaking from LBB2. Once you get into the PITA level of detail in worldgen, "taint" takes on a more nuanced meaning, including for example too much nitrogen in the atmosphere (while the atmo code describes the pressure). (By definition, if there isn't enough O2, there must be too much of something else, if it's standard atmo pressure.)

Yes, you're right. I was out of line for this discussion. Sorry. Consider my original flippant remark retracted. The basic world generation is far too crude to take this sort of details into account.

Hans

That was why I brought this up. For folk who aren't happy with the existing worldgen system, who may want to create a personalized worldgen system that presents challenges such as varying O2 concentrations, this is a tool they can offer their players to deal with the new challenge.

Back