• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Official Word from Far Future Enterprises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draconian

SOC-12
Things do not look good for people expecting a Spinward Traveller DVD.

Could we get official word from Far Future Enterprises about it? I remind everyone that the announced completion date on Kickstarter was December 2014. Now, coming in a few months after an estimated date is possible based on set-backs, but we are talking over a year now.

More than just rumours are circulating, there are more than just routine problems here, and an official game-company word would be appreciated.

[Oops, I wrote "Far Future Entertainment" in the title above, calquing it with D20 Entertainment. I mean FFE, Far Future Enterprises.]

Last edited by a moderator:
[m;]Officially, upon advice of counsel, board staff are not allowed to comment on the d20 Entertainment kickstarters.[/m;]

I do recall someone pointing out that Spinward Traveller was no longer mentioned in the latest FFE newsletter, while it had been in previous ones.

What's done is done. Hopefully this will all be cleared up in a couple years and there will be some hope for a decent fan film.

There is always hope for a decent fan film. It needs people that have a professional edge these days. Look at the Star Trek stuff. Axanar in it's legal battle.

So, this ST is a tax write off. A loss and not much more. As exec producer, hopefully, Marc was not too deeply invested.

[m;]Officially, upon advice of counsel, board staff are not allowed to comment ...[/m;]

Aramis,
Perhaps it's time for a Traveller Films group instead of Spinward and bury ST under it. If it's possible.

We need to encourage the next effort.

There is always hope for a decent fan film. It needs people that have a professional edge these days. Look at the Star Trek stuff. Axanar in it's legal battle.

The reality is that Traveller is nowhere near popular enough for a "decent fan film" to ever be made. Star Trek is a huge property, Traveller isn't.

I think it's unfortunate that people got burned on Spinward Traveller, but I thought it was patently obvious right from the start that it would at best go nowhere and at worst end up the way it did.

Why support a project that had no evidence of competence from the beginning? Because a lot of Traveller fans are full of wishful thinking and disposable income, I guess. When it comes to kickstarters they seem to have a habit of throwing money at it first and thinking later, if at all - and then unsurprisingly they get burned. The same thing happened with the Traveller 5 playest to an extent too, though at least the backers got something out of that (even if it wasn't entirely what was promised, and is still being worked on years later).

There does exist some footage of Spinward Traveller that was actually filmed, though Ken Whitman has all of it and has so far refused to release even the raw footage. Thus, there is still a possibility that Spinward Traveller may eventually be released if the footage can be retrieved and someone else takes over the reins of the project. (However, it's also possible that the footage was on a hard drive that is now damaged (reference), and thus may be irretrievable.)

I was just doing some checking up on this debacle and it seems Ken Whitman is now trying to raise funds on the d20 website for a NEW Traveller property called Sol Bound (http://d20entertainment.com/solbound/)!!! Is Marc still letting this guy use the Traveller license after screwing over everyone who backed Spinward? Does Marc even know about this latest thing? If Marc does know about it and is allowing this individual to again use the Traveller name for a 'project' I'd have to say I'm pretty disappointed in him.

Last edited:
[m;]You will not get any answers here.[/m;]

We are not allowed to comment.

Thread being closed since it's a request for official answers/comments which cannot be given at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back