• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Organic hulls - details?

Looking for a sanity check on my detail notes on Organic Hull ships...
Does this make sense? Am I missing what they were supposed to be?

------------------
The hull is multiple layers of hard "shell" with a soft living gene-engineered bacteria between each layer. The bacteria take CO2, break out the carbon and use it to make a shell of long chain nanotubes bound together with plastic (carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen ) resulting in a fairly sturdy material
The layering is designed to handle normal spacecraft shock/impacts, but also to deal with heat during reentey
The bacteria will regrow damage to the hull when exposed to normal air and sunlight. In space, CO2 rich air is piped through the layers
There's a basic frame made from polymer with wires, heating elements and light, and pipes for super-moist, high CO2 air to be piped through

Holy Farscape, Batman!
T5 does make a comment that an organic ship is not nessecarily a living ship, like in Farscape.

There's this blurb about the Biologics skill in T5.10 :
Biologics (Biologic) is concerned with devices based on living matter. Example biologic devices include grown hull panels, interior shock absorbers, water purifiers, carbon dioxide scrubbers, and motion sensors. It includes activities with synthetics (design, build, repair), clones (design, create), chimera (design, create), although it falls short of medicine, xeno-medicine, or veterinary science. Characters with biologics are skilled in the maintenance, repair, and construction of biologic devices.
---- (bold is mine)
I went with that when doing this design, that the hull panels were grown over a more conventional frame, but when damaged would grow back.

From Star Wars, there are the Yuuzhan Vong who were a 100% bio-technological using race. their capital ships had tough armor and I believe some self repair capability. On the other hand, they have a religious based hatred of mechanical technology. This would be a form of living bio-tech.

Then there are the Zentraedi from Robotech. Their capital ships were able to self repair minor hull damage, and maybe the larger ships up to medium hull damage. The interiors were 'normal' technology. This would be a form of non-living bio-tech, I think.

It's always kind of fun when explorers are investigating a 'living' ship. If the bio-tech is alien enough, you can start the creepy & scary bgm.

I would wonder, how do organic hull types compare to other hull types for defense and protection.

I would wonder, how do organic hull types compare to other hull types for defense and protection.

For bone-like, wood-like or chitinous materials to have comparable properties to steel is probably fantasy. Could a quasi-biological technology base use diamondoid or other exotic stuff? Better than hardtech could? Who's to say, really? We have experience with neither at that level of development.

Back