• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Other= spies and assassins? (CT)

BwapTED

SOC-13
While the Other service is most likely a catchall for characters not enlisted in one of the other services (hence; other) could it also cover espionage work and off-the-books 'black ops' service to the Imperium?

On a related note, what about the Assassin service from (I think) Paranoia Press. Is it worth the purchase of Scouts and Assassins?

While the Other service is most likely a catchall for characters not enlisted in one of the other services (hence; other) could it also cover espionage work and off-the-books 'black ops' service to the Imperium?

Sure.

On a related note, what about the Assassin service from (I think) Paranoia Press. Is it worth the purchase of Scouts and Assassins?

It always amuses me.

In the past, when I've had players roll up characters in the Other carer--usually through submitting to the Draft--we would define the character as the skills became evident.

Either during generation or right after, we'd look at the skills the character has attained, and then we'd ask ourselves, "What kind of person would have these skills?"

To answer the question in the OP: Absolutely.

BTW...

Back in the day, Paranoia Press published a LBB (actually, a Little Yellow Book) called Scouts & Assassins. You may find the info in it helpful if you are running assassins in your game.

I would provide some links, but I haven't quite figured out what Aramis says is legal and what's not legal at this forum. You can find a hard copy at Amazon for $18.95 new. And, you can get a pdf at DriveThru RPG for $4.99. I'm pretty sure it is included on one of the FFE CD compilations, too.

Last edited:
I've purchased five or six CT PDFs on DriveThruRPG already in the last month. One just today: The Spinward Marches.

S&A might be next. Who knows?

I've coded the Assassins chargen system from this supplement in my Citizens app for the Mac. It's interesting, although it awards some non-standard skills, and it's hard to get accepted into this career.

Note that there were 2 versions of Scouts and Assassins, with some significant differences. If you buy a hard copy, make sure you get the inserts. RPGGeek has details on the differences between the 2 versions.

From RPGGeek:

Differences between the First and Second Editions:

The First Edition cover is significantly different. No Paranoia Press banner or logo, a different illustration, and a price of $3 in the upper right corner.

In the First Edition, the letter from Marc Miller has a red stripe on it, the Second Edition is monochrome.

The credits page is relocated to before the Marc Miller letter in the First Edition and has a different mailing address.

The Scout Service Insignia preceding page 1 in the Second Edition is not included in the First Edition.

There are major differences in the Scout and Assassin character generation systems, as well as in the Unfit for Service survival resolution system.

The illustration on page 7 is different and credited to Gregg Bender in the First Edition, Steve Eden in the Second Edition.

The Type "S" Scoutship Serpent Class deckplan is monochrome with a 1979 date in the First Edition, two color with a 1981 date in the Second Edition.

The First Edition includes a two color Delta Research booklet with company information, details of the Serpent class Scoutship, a list of all Serpent class ships built, and a TAS Form 2 for the founder of Delta Research, "Storm".

I own both editions and created this entry. ;)

Back