• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Plasma/Fusion weapons recoil

But Pulse Lasers are also classified as "Beams" in the general use of the term in T5.
Probably a simplification to enforce direct line of sight pathing understanding, rather than permitting gravity parabola indirect fire options.
fires it as a beam through a magnetically focused field along the barrel.
In other words, straight line acceleration.
The initial beam is approximately 2cm, but it begins to expand immediately.
So it rapidly transforms in shape from a cylinder/line into being a spheroid/ball after leaving the weapon.

If you look at the CT Striker weapons catalog, you even find Rapid Fire energy weapons of the plasma and fusion varieties (ala machine gun fire type). They aren't described as being "continuous beam" weapons that you "walk the stream onto the target" like a flamethrower to hose them down with enough plasma to burn through them ... instead they're more like repeating firearms that throw discrete chunks of plasma (fusion optional) at the target like bullets/rounds/shells from a CPR cannon.

Plasma and Fusion Guns therefore have more in common with Pulse Lasers than they do with Beam Lasers (or more specifically, up to and including rapid fire pulse lasers to be extremely clear).

Probably a simplification to enforce direct line of sight pathing understanding, rather than permitting gravity parabola indirect fire options.

In other words, straight line acceleration.

So it rapidly transforms in shape from a cylinder/line into being a spheroid/ball after leaving the weapon.

If you look at the CT Striker weapons catalog, you even find Rapid Fire energy weapons of the plasma and fusion varieties (ala machine gun fire type). They aren't described as being "continuous beam" weapons that you "walk the stream onto the target" like a flamethrower to hose them down with enough plasma to burn through them ... instead they're more like repeating firearms that throw discrete chunks of plasma (fusion optional) at the target like bullets/rounds/shells from a CPR cannon.

Plasma and Fusion Guns therefore have more in common with Pulse Lasers than they do with Beam Lasers (or more specifically, up to and including rapid fire pulse lasers to be extremely clear).
I disagree, the way it is described sounds very much like a flame thrower, a scary blue-white flame at that.

EDIT: Okay, I looked at page 110 and it says controls are based on the Type and Descriptor so it may be kind of bolt after all. Damnit, now I have to go back and fix a description I fixed based on the page 98-99 descriptions. Grrrr.

Still, finally have it fixed per the rules so there is that.

Last edited:
I'll stick with LBB4:
The power pack powers a laser ignition system in the weapon itself which
heats hydrogen fuel to a plasma state. The plasma is contained in the ignition chamber briefly
and then released through a magnetically focused field along the weapon's barrel. The high
initial velocity plasma jet is 2 cm in diameter but begins to dissipate immediately. Each power
pack has sufficient energy to discharge 40 plasma bolts before recharging is
necessary. Each pull of the trigger discharges one plasma bolt.

EDIT: Okay, I looked at page 110 and it says controls are based on the Type and Descriptor so it may be kind of bolt after all. Damnit, now I have to go back and fix a description I fixed based on the page 98-99 descriptions. Grrrr.
QW7yxSvJpRB5rYfq3u9TqE-970-80.jpg

Back