• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Rules Only: Possible Good Task Fit For CT

I wrote a post in another forum about the task system used in the old (original) Prime Directive RPG from Task Force Games. It's the rpg rules for Star Fleet Battles.

I think the rule system would be an excellent choice for those wanting an interesting task system for Classic Traveller.

Here's my post describing some highlights of the game:

I've owned this game since it came out in 1993, and I've never had a chance to play it.

Too bad for me. I've been looking over it, and it's a damn fine RPG. It's a hell of a lot better game the newest Star Trek RPG that's hit the market.

The game's task system is impressive. It's generally referred to as the "tricode" system. Here's a quick overview. And, I'm talking about the original game. I believe the game was republished for GURPS and d20.

When you throw a task, you throw a number of D6 and compare against the task's tricode.

Let me explain...

How many dice do you throw? You throw a number of D6 equal to your characteristic + skill. So, if you wanted to fire your phaser, you'd add your Accuracy-6 and Fire Phaser-6 skill together, getting 12/2 = 6. You'd throw 6D.

If throwing a task that is totally characteristic based, then you throw a number of D6 equal to your characteristic level.

If throwing a task that is totally skill based, then you throw a number of D6 equal to your skill level.

And, there are more than one way to throw a task--more than those three ways I've just shown. But, I'm keeping this simple.

Tricode: Each task has a tricode. A tricode looks like this: 2/4/6 or 4/8/12 or 1/3/5.

When you throw your dice, you look for the highest die thrown.

If you throw a 6, you can add 5 to that die and re-roll (some numbers higher than 6 are possible).

The tricode tells you your Success Level. Throwing the first number gives you a Minimal Success. Throwing the second number gives you a Moderate Success. Throwing the far right, last number gives you a Complete Success.

So...if we throw 6D and get: 5, 1, 3, 5, 1, 2. And...your tricode is: 2/4/6. Then, you have scored a Moderate Success (because no result was 6+).

I think it's a pretty freakin' cool system. One throw. Variable outcomes--not just pass/fail.

If your Phaser Pistol was set to the Lethal-1 setting, then you'd do 2 points of damage on a Minimal Hit, 4 points of damage on a Moderate Hit, and 6 points of damage on a Complete Hit.

One task roll revealing degree of success and no damage roll! I dig it! Quick!

Only One Die Result. When you throw on a tricode, you can add up some successes to get a higher success. For example, if you threw 6D and got: 5, 1, 3, 5, 1, 5 against a tricode of 2/4/6. This shows that you got three Moderate successes, and if you score 3 x Mod success, then it is considered that your result is actually a Complete Success.

As mentioned earlier, a 6 on a die result will explode. So, if you threw 6D and got 5, 1, 6, 5, 1, 2 against a tricode of 4/8/12, then you can take the 6, add 5 to it, making it 11. Then, you can re-roll the die and keep rerolling it as long as you throw 6's. You'd have to re-roll twice, and get real lucky, in order to hit that 12 for a Complete Success, though. The odds are way against you (unless your original roll featured multiple 6's).

Combat Round: It is played in 4 second turns. But, the game offers two options. First, there's a detailed combat system, and then there's a lite version of combat, depending on your mechanical tastes. The game fits those who like crunchy combat as well as heroic, quick combat.

A/I Test. This is the Action/Initiative roll a character makes at the start of a combat round. It's a Speed task roll vs. a tricode of 4/6/8.

A Minimal Initiative will net the character a single Simple Action for the round, and he can only move 1 meter or less that round.

A Moderate Initiative will indicate that the character can take a Simple Action and move half is movement.

A Complete Initiative tells us that the character gets a Complex Action and full movement.

So, you can see how the tricode system is used for all aspects of the game. The skills have descriptions on how to use them with tricode results, and there is a section for the GM on how to create tricodes.

Mark the date: I agree with S4 on Prime Directive.

Biggest issue I can see is that the PD system works best with attributes in the 3-8 range. And "Normal Human" is 3, but max humanoid is 12.

And the initiative system breaks the "one die per roll" mechanic. It's worth it, IMO, and works great at replicating the feel of TOS duck and weave phaser combat.

Mark the date: I agree with S4 on Prime Directive.

*...ground shakes...*

Only Nixon could go to China! :coffeesip:

Biggest issue I can see is that the PD system works best with attributes in the 3-8 range. And "Normal Human" is 3, but max humanoid is 12.

I don't know the PD system well enough to suggest anything definite, and I'm sure the system would have to be tweaked for CT (or another version of Traveller).

Maybe the Tricode System would be a better fit as a replacement for the T5 task system.

I haven't looked at Prime Directive since, well, it came out. So my memory is thin. However, the task system, like all task systems, must have some underlying statistical hypotheses. So it shouldn't be that difficult to adjust the ranges to make human normal what we have for Trav?

I haven't looked at Prime Directive since, well, it came out. So my memory is thin. However, the task system, like all task systems, must have some underlying statistical hypotheses. So it shouldn't be that difficult to adjust the ranges to make human normal what we have for Trav?

ItemCTPD1
Human Minimum11
Starting Minimum12
Human Average72.5
PC Average83
Initial Maximum123
CGen Max1511
Experienced Max1512

Skills run the same 1-12 range.

Note that I have seen rolls into the 50's...

One of the expansions clarifies fumbles and adds crits.
Crit: twice the Complete Success number
Fumble: half or less the minimal success number. (Do not round)

Note that not rounding means rolling a 1 on a 3/7/9 is a fumble.

Also ...
Note that EVERY die in the A/I Test counts for Initiative points; only the best matters for action level allowed. If using fumbles, they count identical to failures for A/I tests.
Crits allow a an extra simple action over the complete

Last edited:
Hmm. You could do something like this with CT.

Pick a main attribute for the task, then two supporting attributes.

For example, let's say that you are making a computer task. Your primary attribute is EDU. But raw INT counts, so that's support stat #1, and concentration counts, so that's support stat #2.

What we're saying is that on this Computer task, the attribute of EDU is a primary requirement, but raw intelligence enhances education, and personal endurance enhances concentration that is necessary for the computer task.

With skill, you add +1D per skill level.

Stat Range
1,2,3,4 = +0D*

5,6,7,8,9 = +1D

9,10,11,12 = +2D

13,14,15 = +3D

*The minimum to roll a task, even if all stats are 4- and there is no skill, is 1D.

Take half for first support stat.

Take a third for second support stat.

Character: 64D667, Computer 1

Primary Stat is EDU-6, +1D
Support Stat is INT-6, so no bonus (1D/2, drop fractions)
Second Support Stat END-D, so +1D bonus (3D/3 = 1D).

We roll 3D. We get 1D from Computer skill, 1D from our primary EDU sat, and 1D from our Second Support attribute (which is divided by three).

Easy Figuring:

Look at your base on the chart using your Primary Stat.

You get +1D if first support stat is 9+.

You get another +1D if second support stat is 13+.

You get +1D per skill level.

I'm just thinking out loud here--more concept than actual numbers.

Back