• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Referee How-To: Starting A Traveller Campaign...

Flynn

SOC-14 1K
Referee How-To: Starting A Traveller Campaign...

Although I've been involved with Traveller since I was first introduced to it in 1985-86, I've only relatively recently had the experience of running a longterm Traveller campaign. As many of you know, I've run one campaign set in an ATU. In that adventure, the party represented the primary crew of a scientific exploration cruiser exploring the unknown. That campaign lasted a year, and then I started my current Fourth Imperium campaign, which has run for a year and a half and is still going. The Fourth Imperium campaign is based originally on those tidbits released pre-playtest by MJD on the 1248 timeline, and the first chapters of the playtest files, and has grown with the development of the playtest. In the current campaign, characters are members of the Imperial Covert Services Bureau, a remnant of a pre-existing intelligence agency that reports directly to the Emperor. Not nearly as powerful or influential as IRIS in the 3I, the ICSB fills a similar role in being the Emperor's Eyes and Ears.

Over the course of running both campaigns, I did pick up a few details or suggestions on how to approach starting and running a Traveller campaign, and figured that if I posted them here, others might also contribute their experiences and the results might aid new Traveller referees. Please feel free to review what I've posted and share your thoughts on running a game.

My first and perhaps best suggestion: If you are having trouble finding gamers that are interested in a regular weekly Traveller campaign, try going for a once-a-month game. While people may have an issue with setting aside a weekday evening or some portion of a weekend for "yet another game", they can more often make time for a once-a-month commitment. Only when I tried this did I successfully attract a regular gaming group for Traveller.

Okay, with that behind us, the first piece of actual gaming advice I'd suggest is to get a decent idea of the overall area you would want to game in. Do you want to run a campaign that primarily focuses on a single subsector, a quadrant, a sector, or even a domain? My first campaign covered a subsector, and my current campaign covers a quadrant so far. Myself, I have found that I like focusing on quadrants, but I'm not ruling out taking the game to a full sector. Quadrants give me more choice than subsectors, but not so much that I am not overwhelmed. As I get more familiar with the area, though, a sector may not be that big a step. But if this is your first campaign, I'd suggest staying with a subsector or quadrant, at most.

Look over the astrography of the area you've selected for your game. Make a few short notes about the interstellar governments, aka polities, located within that region of space. Take a copy of the map, and highlight Jump-1 mains so that you can see where most trade occurs. Use a second highlight color to indicate Jump-2 routes that connect the Jump-1 mains. Isolated areas unreachable by Jump-2 often see very little cross-traffic, something worth noting when you are planning adventures later.

Note High Population worlds, as well as other worlds of interest, such as Amber Zones, Red Zones, high Law Levels and high (and low) Tech Levels. Knowing where the different things are gives you a sense of what kind of adventures might unfold for you. Try writing a brief paragraph about each of these worlds (or at least three-five of them) as an exercise for your imagination. (It also gives you Library Data entries for the future.) This helps give you some background from which to expand your game in the future.

Now that you have an idea of what the general area looks like, start small. You can't fit the entire OTU into your first gaming session, nor should you try. Choose a smaller locale, a world with a Class D starport perhaps, where the starport is probably no bigger than your local airport, and it's easier for players to focus on the more limited amount of options. As they adventure, they'll learn more about the worlds around them, one step at a time, and won't be overwhelmed.

Scale will always be an issue, and may cause you some concern and possible even Referee's Block. In that case, try scaling down everything in your head. Unless your adventure calls for it, the players aren't going to be sending their characters everywhere on Planet 1028. To them, Planet 1028 is simply another starport and perhaps a city associated with it. If you don't feel like developing the system more than that, that's still okay. It's easier to think in terms of cities and airports than worlds and parsecs. When your imagination gives you more, feel free to create adventures that exploit that, such as a great pseudo-dinosaur hunt on Planet 1129, that garden world with the primitive lifeforms. Ultimately, the characters only experience adventures one "room" at a time, so don't feel compelled to design and detail every location. Just detail what you need for the adventure, and whatever else suits your fancy. In time, the details will grow, and the game will become more than the sum of its parts. When you see the players talking about the game's details and pulling various facets from their previous adventures, you'll know you're at that point, and it becomes easier to plan and run adventures.

As you come up with adventure ideas, make notes somewhere to refer to later. Even if you can't use them as you had originally planned, the concept might mutate down the road into something else that will add to your gamers' Traveller experience.

Okay, I think this will do for starters. I'll add some more to this later. I hope others do, too.

Enjoy,
Flynn

One thing that I've found over the years to be worth doing is to ask the players if they have a preference for what the initial set up will be like.

It's no use trying to run Firefly if the players all want to be playing Starship Troopers, and vice versa ;)
You can always manipulate the situation once the game begins
file_23.gif

Discuss their character concepts with them and try to have a reason why the party will hang together - even if they aren't initially part of the same team or aware of what the thread that will bind them together will be.
And if a player comes up with an interesting adventure seed as part of their backstory file it away for future use.

How'd I miss this?! Nice thread, Flynn!

posted by Sigg:
One thing that I've found over the years to be worth doing is to ask the players if they have a preference for what the initial set up will be like.
Yeah, I was thinking about this while reading through Burning Wheel today...

Usually when I run a game I just see if the players want to play that particular game, and then describe the setting a bit so they know what they're getting into, and then fling a plot at them.

The players' preference could be "Starship troopers, not Firefly", or they could go further and say "well, we want instigate a rebellion to overthrow an unpopular government". Usually I think of the former example, but BW at least suggests that the latter would be perfectly acceptable in discussion about what sort of campaign to run.

I don't know how many Traveller games (or any other games, for that matter) are run based pretty much entirely on a rather specific thing that the players want to do. But it's an interesting thought.

Malenfant,

I would wager that at least a significant minority of successful Traveller campaigns are run based on the goals and desires of the players participating in them.

I think more of them, however, are based on the Referee's concepts of what would be cool to run, and then the players' influences begin to drive the game once it is underway.

A concept that I use when designing my D&D campaigns is kind of an unspoken contract between myself and the players. I interview the players that I want to start the game off with, asking them about the type of campaigns they would like to play in, and then I modify my latest homebrew to fit those concepts, when possible.

I didn't do that with the last T20 campaign because I wanted to test out the 1248 setting, and we're having a good time with it. But the plots of the next game I run will be based on player input.

More later,
Flynn

I like asking my players to think about what their ultimate goal would be for the game or their characters.

1) Build up a MegaCorp
2) Take over a Planet/System/Subsector
3) Retire from Active Service
4) Pay Off the Loan on their Starship in less than 40 years
5) See how far through the universe they can Travel
6) See how much wealth they can aquire in the shortest amount of time.
7) Discover a new System
8) Survive the most Starship Battles.

The Players have to decide what they want to do then where they will start to try to achieve that goal or how they believe they will go about it.

The Goals influence the story line. Sometimes the goals change as the story progresses.

I always took the player's desires into account. Often they left me no choice, ignoring my carefully dropped hints about what to do in order to go off and do what they wanted that evening anyway.

Sigg had a very good point: it's also a good idea to sit down before the game actually starts and figure out just how and why this group of people are together. It automatically leads to some backstory and more potential adventures.

"I think more of them, however, are based on the Referee's concepts of what would be cool to run, and then the players' influences begin to drive the game once it is underway."

Yup. No scenario survives contact with the players. That's why I never plan in too much detail.

In Traveller I generally let my players steer the campaign.

At the most I'll decide where and when (if using official background) I'll set the campaign.

I will then have dice up session, and then from seeing what the players have generated, and with the discussion that takes place during this session start to formulate what I may need to prepare to meet my players intentions.

Initially the campaign grows as a reaction to the players actions and needs.

Fortunately I quite enjoy creating adventures on the fly, after years of having characters totally ignoring adventure hooks etc it's become my preferred style of refereeing.

I can't start a new game unless I have a reasonable idea what's going to happen. Normally the reason I want to run it is *because* I have a good idea for a scenario. Once we start, though, I usually take it as read that the PCs will wander off at a tangent.

As a player, it is no fun if the referee (DM or what other name you want to use) keeps you tied to his apron strings. As a ref, it is very frustrating if your careful planning is blown out of the water in the first five minutes of play.
How to make the game fun for everyone becomes the question. Good players can make a so so ref look great and feel great after the session, but only if the ref has the insight to let them play with as few limitations as are necessary. On the other hand, a good ref can help weaker players have a great time. Where do good players and refs come from? Experience. You have to learn from each session and add it to what you already knew.
As this thread is focussing on the ref, What can he do to make the game fun? 1. Don't throw away those elaberate plans you made and your PCs just went to the other side of the sector. You can always re use them or parts of them. At one time I used the same Judges Guild map for several campaigns so I did not have to come up with a new map each time. I just changed what was what on the map. Change a major NPC's name and reuse him elsewhere. 2. Allow the PCs to detour back to what you had planned. Do something to cause a mis-jump and roll the results behind the screen. Then head them back to where you wanted then to go in the first place being careful to make it look accidental. It helps to allow some time to be spent doing what the PC's though they wanted to do in the first place. 3. Learn to fly by the seat of your pants. I have seen the "super organized" approach where the ref keep a detailed log of what happened and the "randomly generated approach" where the ref had done this so much he just had an idea and went from there. In one D&D game we spent the entire session playing with a trapdoor spider. We were sure it was something important and that if we just killed it there would be drastic consequences. The DM had just planned for it to be a mild distraction for about 30 seconds and then be over. We took something he said to mean that this spider was of vast importance. The important thing was we all had fun. Lots of fun.

Funny, I always tried to keep things with a tight script. Players were disappointed by the realism of Traveller but always enjoyed gaming sessions. Having said that I am not a big fan of railroading players but Traveller is such a game that unless a specific goal is laid out for them early in the campaign...they will spend the time wandering the stars just trading and exploring & rapidly getting bored in the process.

Traveller has to develop quick cinematic adventures that link together with relative ease. Whilst maintaining creative freedom. Knightfall is a good example, how, this might be applied. Individual adventures are pretty tightly scripted but over all action is moved along to a resolution. How to apply this a campaign of epic proportions is to involve the players in greater and greater decision making, as it has been said above. But, I find the vast majority of players that I have gamed with...really want the ref to do all the work. Say, unlike the same players when they play AD&D...who want creative freedom.

Andy,

That's the basic approach I use. If the PCs don't go where I hoped they would, I save my work and recycle it later. I'm not afraid to borrow from other sources (such as running old CT adventures with the serial numbers filed off in other locations). Eventually, my work gets used, somewhere.

Working to keep that kind of thing transparent to the players adds to their perception of a non-arbitrary universe in which they have control. (Let's face it; every gaming session is arbitary on some level, simply because we can't prepare for every single possibility as Referees. It'd be boring if we could, IMHO. YMMV.)

Enjoy,
Flynn

Kafka,

I do agree about the need to provide a strong hook, or set of hooks, early on in the campaign. For me, I try to offer other hooks as I go along, so that the players have some ideas of things to do after they complete the first adventure (or decide to take a detour along the way).

So, are you looking for more Traveller Campaign-style products, such as the future Grand Adventures product line that QLI has been developing on the back burners?

-Flynn

Well, I have heard only snippets of the Grand Adventure line. But, what I hear, I do like. For me both have be done in concert. Individual one time adventures that could be done in PDF and then could be strung together into a bound deadtree would work for me.

But, also isolated modules like what WofC does are also neccessary to gain a visual identity for the product. Whilst some might be terrible they might hook the stray newbie. For instance, I picked up the Transhuman adventure and adapted it to Traveller. Bigger books offer a chance for more detailed backgrounds but sometimes action has to take precedence to background.

Which brings us to another question that Referees starting a Traveller Campaign must consider: How do you create Traveller Adventures?

One of my personal techniques is to create mini-adventures or scenes for each world along a path, and then create an overall plot to take the PCs from Point A to Point B. I come up with a list of scenes I think would be memorable, which I will try to bring them out in the game. I take the list of scenes, and the mini-scenarios, and tie them together loosely in an outline. Then I just fill in the details.

I usually rewrite the outline about three or four times, each time fleshing it out a little more. By the time that's done, I've lost some scenes, gained some as well, and have a more well-rounded storyline. Then I just sit down to run it, but if the players take another direction halfway through it, I roll with the punches and keep on. Between sessions, I do the same thing for the new direction. Soon, the area is alive with activity.

Okay, guys, how do you create your Traveller adventures?

Enjoy,
Flynn

My best Traveller campaign was started with a bit of misdirection. I told the players to "roll up criminals", which they gleefully did, including backgrounds and brief histories on all their past capers. Then at the introduction to the campaign, they were all arrested by MIB, taken to an unknown location, and told basically that they worked for the government now, as a special operations group, a deniable special operations group. If they refused, they would be turned over to law ewnforcement with substantial evidence of all their previous crimes, and would be guests of the state for the rest of their natural lives. The players howled, but everyone agreed it was the best Traveller campaign ever.

Very nice setup. I'm doing something similar (letting the players be members of the Covert Services Bureau) with the my current Fourth Imperium campaign, and the players seem to enjoy it.

-Flynn

Back