• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Reimagining (my) Spinward Marches

Mithras

SOC-14 1K
I certainly think that the Third Imperium is too big. I’m preparing a new campaign for the summer for my sons (10 and 13), we played a little Traveller last year in the Marches and it was very successful. But I’m going to strip of the 3i and focus on something smaller, alot smaller, and while I’m at it, a bit less bland in the interstellar culture department. The 3i aliens don’t grab my attention, and they won’t grab my players.

However – I love my Spinward Marches map, full colour, from the old Deluxe Traveller of 1982 (ish) it sits on the play table as a huge poster gameboard lighting up with adventure possibilities. I want to keep the Spinward Marches. Plus we always begin our games by watching this Andrew Boulton video which exactly matches our game table!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iWehLi_4ug

My plan is to use the map, and I notice the different political entities on it have no names, so I can also rename them. Great! This map is THE map. There is perhaps a row of subsectors to the right hand side, off the map, but this map is Charted Space. No Vagr, No Aslan. This is it. Earth is off to the bottom right another 30 hexes, but there’s nothing left of Earth, the star systems around it are dead.

So, polities. I’ve done a lot of research on the Hyades star cluster, in the Taurus constellation, so the map shows the Hyades star cluster, Mora is the capital of the Unified Worlds of the cluster and orbits Aldebaran.

Unified Worlds Human federation of worlds, cut off from a dead Earth, a few centuries old. Capital Mora, with feudal titles, controlling trade/defense at each subsector capital. But this is a federation, with worlds meeting at the subsector level, but overall control handled by the peerage. Titles are granted by the federation council.

Orion Republic - The Zhodani seen as evil Stalinist mind controlling Vulcans. Pointed ears, mind powers and a thought police that keeps the proles cowering in fear. Internment camps and death camps are used to deal with those that cannot be reeducated. Cold War rivals of the Unified Worlds.

Gollorans - I like the Sword Worlders, but why have humans when we can have belligerent lizard-men? Each world a feudal state, with noble Gollorans sponsoring Viking like raids against distant worlds, returning months later with their spoils. Together they form a loose defensive Confederation, but they are too high-spirited and competitive to unite. Straight out of H Beam Piper’s Star Vikings.

Morlock Trade League - OK, they are Darrians, but they look a little more alien – perhaps like Ilithids (Mind Flayers). They had a high TL but blew themselves up acentury ago messing with the ‘Star Trigger’. Today the Morlocks strive with every effort to rebuild all of their worlds and their old society once again. They have constructed vast 5000 ton trade ships that cruise the Marches for a year or more, returning home with vast wealth and resources to help rebuild. They are wise, calm but savvy dealers. They carry a lot of trade goods, when a Morlock ship arrives in system for 3 months it is a cause for great interest.

The Matriarch - I can’t resist creating a female-led government, a remote pocket empire where the Five Sisters subsector is. Their ships also trade and raid using sleek designs, discs and flying wings. There maty be a genetic-bio-warfare reason that they structure society as they do, with tradition now continuing. Women, well the female nobility, are the government on each world. Some men on some worlds have fairly free lives, others may be in virtual slavery. IVF, cloning and the harvesting and freezing of sperm is routine. Many of the Matriarchy will have elite, favoured male ‘companions’, invited to enjoy the high life as servants, advisors and lovers.

Next I need to look at Scouts, Navies and perhaps go into a bit more detail on the styles of ships the powers build. ie. How will the player characters react with these groups/aliens. Are there any aliens living within the Unifed Worlds I need to quickly sketch out. They may be used as regular encounters also.

Last edited:
spinwardnew2.jpg

:)

Starships

Using the Traveller rules as-written I want to create unique styles of starships for the alien races in my re-imagined Spinward Marches. Actually, saying ‘as-written’ means LBB2 plus ideas taken from MgT. Firstly: small ship universe, nothing greater than 5,000 ton.

Humans/Unified Worlds – Their space navy is actually a Star Force, the ships more resemble aircraft, flight decks forward, drives to the rear, most small Traveller starships resemble this model already. They limit civillian craft to single turrets. Ship positions are flight commander, flight engineer, weapon systems operator (not gunner) etc. Otherwise, typical Traveller types. Maneuver drives are combination mass reduction anti-grav field, combined with an efficient plasma drive.

Matriarchy – Ships tend not to mass more than 1000 tons. They are generally discs or wing shapes, the Safari Ship is a Matriarch design to carry a member of the Matriarchy. Somewhere online is a very nice cargo ship version of the Safari ship: http://www.sff.net/people/kitsune/Tr...ages/manta.png. All are a capable of atmospheric flight.

Orion Republic/Stalinist-Zhodani-from-Hell – I’m inspired by Soviet submarines, stealthy border interlopers, spy ships and long duration intruders. There was a tradition of designing spaceships with submarine attributes,http://www.projectrho.com/SSC/submarine.html, and I might go with long and slender designs, with a sail and control room at the centre, bay weapons forward, lots of bulkheads, none are atmospheric. Only officers get privacy, all proles sleep/live in dormitories. Maneuver drives use thrust plates, gravitions pushing against plates at the rear, which glow with the reaction.

Morlocks/Mercantile non-Psionic Mindflayers – All starships are 800 tons or bigger, Morlocks work well in bigger groups. They don’t use the jump drive, but fold space, Dune style. One specialized mutated Morlock who can spend three days in chamber calculating the fold while the capacitors charge up. The chamber is surrounded by layers of psychic mirrors and crystal lenses which sharpen and refine the thoughts of the mutant navigator. The chamber and lenses and capacitors etc magically take up the same space and cost as a jump drive. The jump fuel is instead used to charge the capacitors. Most Morlock ships are big, massing kilotons.

Goloran/Angry Viking Lizardmen – No idea. I might swap out lasers for fusion guns. I don’t have them in my LBB rules, I might just increase damage, at short ranges for a quick fix. Or just call them fusion guns, but simply leave the stats the same. Other than that, perhaps they all have curved hulls, plates of armour resembling trilobites, shrimps, etc, inspired by the Amarr ships in EVE Online. http://www.eveonlineships.com/eve-on...ech1&faction=3 The Omen was always my favourite ship in that game …

Paul,

Great stuff! Please keep it coming!

May I suggest that you produce a "handout" of sorts describing your setting? It need only consist of a few pages and you could post it to the File Library so your ideas wouldn't get "lost among the threads".

Regards,
Bill

Aliens in the reimagined Spinward Marches

I’m looking for alien races that might be commonly encountered by the PCs, in the past I’ve never used aliens at all, but with some colourful types around I can use them to create a better picture of interstellar society buzzing between worlds. Like Star Trek, but just not switched to wrinkly forehead overload.

Now I’ve already turned to the D&D universe for that Mindflayer reference. I know the 3i can be said to have done the same!! We could call Vagr Gnolls and Aslan Rakshasa couldn’t we??

So I’ve reached for the Monster Manual again. Perhaps gargoyles might make neat silent, stoneskinned winged aliens, and perhaps kobolds, which I’ve always loved – a scurrilous back-stabbing alien race of little reptillian humanoids with a penchant for guerilla warfare! The Xill from my 3.0 MM look like fun, four-armed red-skinned creatures with ant-like heads reminiscent of the Predator in appearance. Their bite can paralyze, and the females lay eggs inside paralysed creatures, the young eating the host alive 90 days later. Nice! Fancy that as your helmsman on the bridge of the Enterprise!

Ah Bill, I am compiling my thoughts as my reference for our games. I will add it to the files section, I added a starship file last month (STL though not to do with this project). You know, this 'reimagining' is very easy and very fun, much easier in fact than starting from scratch. The best part about RPing with my sons is that they know enough to play, but have not seen all the movies or read the books I have, so I can always rip off plots, gamebooks, movies, characters etc that would never get past an SF savvy bunch of players.

:)

Last edited:
Re: xill

I used to run a race based on the phraints of Arduin Grimiore in Trav. Bug races are always good. :)

Small ship universe:
And the "inevitable" plot of one mad race building the muckin' great doomsday ship which must be stopped at all costs.:rofl:

Good stuff! I'm looking forward to more!

What a great link! Only saw half the first series of B5 many years ago.

Yes, those Vorlon craft are perfect, and the Earth-Force Hyperion is one of those old 'space submarine' designs perfect for the evil Stalinist Orions... !

Cheers!

For the Morlocks/ Illithids, what about Vorlon ships from B5? They seemlike a good fit with those tentacle thingies on the bow. Or perhaps Shadow ships?

Linky: http://www.shipschematics.net/cgi-bin/b5/vorlon.cgi?official

Awesome stuff, as usual!

OTHER ALIEN RACES
There are a number of other alien races that can be encountered on a regular basis by star-farers. Although most sentient species remain on their homeworld, those of sufficient TL or motivation take an active part in interstellar society. The most commonly met alien races living within the Unified Worlds follow (and some of these are well known!), I'll be using them as star crew, patrons, encounters etc:

Yori: (homeworld Yori, a desert world much like Arrakis, the Yori are the Fremen)
250px-Duros_AA.JPG

Heyans: (homeworld Heya, a humid jungle world, with a rebellious native race)
YedrinKoss.JPG

Bagra: (homeworld Porozlo, a fractious world of Vagr-like aliens)
1_Dog_of_War2.jpg

Asmodeans: (homeworld Asmodeus, nuked by Orion navy)
313px-Aks_Moe_%28Gran%29.jpg

Last edited:
If you subscribe to JTAS, there was an article on 'ghost stories' involving jump space and such ... I recommend it, and willgo back to look it up. The Abyss makes agreat Bermuda Triangle...

Good for you in playing this with your boys! I have 3 girls and hoped I could get them interested, but now I just hope their (someday) boyfriends will be interested.

Last summer we were all in the car and I was describing to my wife this new adventure idea I had. Later my 9 year old came out to the garage (where I have my computers and hobby stuff all set up) and asked if she could see my "new computer game"? Sarah loves to play (or at least "help" me play) various games I have with me. I said I didn't have any new game, why'd she think I did?

She said she heard me telling mom about it in the car. It was hilarious, I took out all my Traveller stuff - drawings, maps, stacks and stacks of notebooks with sketches and ships, etc...opened up the big sector map of my 30+ year old homebrew universe and told her all kinds of stories of characters, adventures, and histories. She was wide-eyed and amazed - said it looked like more fun than any of my videogames.

She hasn't played yet, but I might let her in on some of the action this summer if the players who'll be gathering for our annual play will agree.

Oh and BTW: glad you liked my Prox....that, along with my evil alien lizard empire was one of my original aliens back when all Taveller was was 3 LBB's that my friends and I were wondering what to do with at the same time as wondering what the heck an "Umber Hulk" was in original D&D.

If you want any info on them I will gladly send it.

Wow!

Mithras, your post got me excited in a way I haven't experienced in years.

It iseems that i am a lot like you, in that i didn't thoroughly enjoy the OTU either. Sure, i played in it, but i never really did more than stuck my toes in the water, so to speak.

My ATU sort of developed over a number of years, as I would do homebrew adventures and just drop an OTU reference in here and there. It took me quite a while to realize that I had developed an ATU on my own.

Did your ATU develop the same way mine did?

Hi! Thanks for the great comment.

Did your ATU develop the same way mine did?

No, I started cold. I wanted MTU and designed everything, stellar location, technology, changed the jump drive, the governmental structure, created uniform and rank guidelines and went hell for leather. Not played it yet but its a lovely creation.

But than I re-watched Andrew Boulton's Traveller movie which starts on the Spinward Marches map and Deluxe Trav box. That is so cool, a huge star map in full colour layed out with routes to adventure marked on, and red zones that look like X marks the spot on a treasure map. 'My game has to start like that!" I said, and so I pulled it out again. We played in the SM last year but the OTU is big, too big and I wanted something smaller, more contained, so that you could fly to the captital, and provide that Star TRek feel that the universe is diverse, but that you stumble upon the same alien types and ships to make it a knowable universe, where a year of play will give you a store of ingame knowledge that will be useable.

So the map came out and I noticed there were no government labels (Zhodani, 3i etc). It was a blank slate. On that assumption, what shall we do with this map? I cracked my knuckles and started inventing and/or stealing....

HISTORY

2150 Solar system fully colonised
2190 The Wraith, the evil Morlocks, have almost bled the Hyades cluster dry of souls and set up their beacon
2200 The Morlock create the Star Trigger and use it to destroy the Wraith, especially the five Mage Lords; but some survive in hibernation
2241 The Morlocks accidentally destroy their own civilization with another Star Trigger
2260 Jump drive discovered
2294 Human Republic established to govern the new human interstellar colonies
2300 Reconstruction of Morlock society begins with trade and industrial development
2340 Earth detects alien transmissions from Aldebaran
2342 Humans discover alien device on Mora, and settle the Hyades cluster
2358 Orions arrive and begin settlement of the region; war begins almost immediately
2376 The war ends in stalemate; a Cold War now begins; generals from the Human Republic Star Corps carry out a military coup
2378 The Unified Worlds government is created, organised and established by titled officers from the Star Corp who now form a new noble elite of interstellar governors within a federation framework
2424 Golorons raid both Orion and human worlds
2430 Orions sponsor Goloron raiders who target human colonies
2495 The surviving Mage Lord reawakens and activates many of the hibernating Wraith
2500 Today

Back