• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Scout's Tale Salon

Apologies for not posting a newer segment. New carpet, possible furnace replacement, a new corner desk that I'm discovering I don't like, and a few other odds and ends that have kept me busy. I've got a few pages done, but don't want to post something that's incomplete.

But thanks for looking at my stuff!

So, I had a story brewing, but got sidetracked. I'm back on target, as it were, but I need to tweak things to make it more Traveller like.

The truth of the matter is that I have three, possibly four solid story possibilities, but was kind of indecisive on which way to go, and how to make any of those offerings really gel in terms of posting a rough.

I got a clearer vision now, and just need to go grab some writing stuff and have at it.

Thanks for the views!

Many apologies for not posting something recently. I love that people have read my drek :eek: , and I would like to post some more, but I would rather post something that was of genuine story quality than just any old thing ... like, Aston the plant beast of Mongo (no, I haven't checked Mongo's UPP, and have no idea whether there's a chance of a plant beast or not ... of course, I could always throw in a Ming the Merciless type ...) or whatever.

I'm thinking I'll borrow from a few more movies, and maybe even do some alternate reality stuff. Thanks for reading :)

No more feedback. Not a big deal.

I was glad to be able to get back to some levity and good adventure material. The previous installments felt like downers in retrospect.

I thought of going a bit dark and going many years into the future in Aston's life, and see what had become of him. I was prepared to steal another scene out of another favorite series of mine, only dress it up with Traveller goodness.

I haven't put down any named planets / systems because I wanted to stipulate the story over trying to keep in synch with the OT setting.

In spite of my obvious flubs I hope I've entertained some people. I'm not really sure where to go next, largely because I have so many ideas. That, and I'm feeling a little lazy right now. ;)

I'm thinking Zho, K'Kree or even Hiver space. Maybe I'll go back in time again and revisit Aslan country. Ah, the privileges of youth ... for Aston that is :D

With 3009 views as of this writing, the nonsense I've posted has got to be interesting to someone. ;) At some point I may try to publish reworked versions of these as generic scifi ... maybe maybe-not. As per Dr. Hanami's admonition "You shouldn't be giving it away for free!" I suddenly, I felt so cheap, lol.

Well, we'll see. I've got a busy schedule of taking naps, playing Age of Empires, and cruising the net this weekend. Anything can happen.

Some quick notes on Aston and Vash; Richard Aston is a male who likes to "see the world", or in this case the Third Imperium. Often in children's fare such individuals are classified or chided as being children, but adventure was and is meant for everyone regardless of age. The kind of adventure may dictate some age demographic, but not the idea of adventuring itself. And adventuring doesn't always mean fighting bad guys, as I think most here know.

Vash is a male wolf like Vargr perhaps who has a loose or vague resemblance to a husky or malamute (I don't know the difference, and am not interested in being enlightened). He is not an allegory for a human female of any social extraction, as I'm perhaps getting some loose hints about his existence.

Getting back to adventuring, some people like companionship with adventuring. Some people delve into adventuring for companionship. As the old saying goes, boys will be boys and girls will be girls sort of thing where social interaction goes. Aston has a job to do, Vash is almost like "his best friend" as a "canine"/"lupine" accompanying his human master, but is also an IISS serviceman.

That's about all for now.

Many thanks to fellow travelers for reading my prattle. I went from 9500 views to 9700 in the matter of a week or so. I'm going to pat myself on the back and say that other than posting pure raw rough draft stuff (which is embarrassing), I actually am proud of the stories themselves, especially now that I'm giving them a polish.

I may yank them at some point, but I hope they've been entertaining.

Loose tangent, I had (have) upwards of 32 adventure concepts, but a lot of them are story concepts that can go either into story or adventure format. I've had fun writing these, and might write more, but probably not too much more. But all the views have really helped me encourage me to keep doing the one thing in my life that no one has control over.

When Traveller first came out Star Wars, Star Trek, space 1999, even BSG and the Terran Trade Authority books, were the big rage in terms of popular scifi media. Since Traveller, even as late as the Starter Edition, was still a generic scifi RPG, it had been my hope to take players into the Laguna Wars, beyond the Klingon Empire, or to the Colonial planets to encounter Battlestars and Cylons.

The game's official setting is now well established, and the rules are now solidified, so I can't really do that here, but possibly elsewhere. I may actually expand and finish off some fiction I posted in other threads, or give one or two of Aston's shorts their own threads. Who knows...

Thanks.

I want to apologize for leaving up such sloppy work. I do tend to be lazy, but once I finished editing this thread I think I can feel somewhat better about it, though I know I should have done editing in the first place before posting.

I want to thank Marc Miller and our long departed Hunter Gordon for putting up and maintaining this very fantastic and very cool forum. Hunter realized his dreams too late, and not thoroughly enough. I hope Marc Miller is continuing to realize his dreams with his creation.

I've had a life long love affair with Traveller, and wish we were all thirty or forty years younger again so we could explore not just Traveller but other games and the world as a whole. But, new things are to come for both this game and the world. It'll be interesting to see that transpires in the coming years :D

A few notes; I didn't visit too many of the main staples of the Marches, and tried to give exposure to places outside the Spinward Marches. I'm sorry I didn't hit K'Kree, Hiver or even Vegan space. I'm also sorry I didn't hit the Newts, Darriens or even Virushi a bit more. I'm not a huge fan of the Zhodani, even though they make for good bad guys.

As per other posts and my blog Traveller came out during the post Star Wars boom to the scifi genre as a whole, and along with Traveller there were the Terran Trade Authority books, a revitalization of the Star Trek franchise with a feature film, and the talk of a then "Star Wars 2" in the works. When things like school, homework, chores or just life in general was miserable, we could escape for a time in those properties.

Not everyone grows up, but all people age, and eventually boyhood passions can become part of our adult lives in a more wondrous way.

Anyway, thanks again. Take care.

Last edited:
According to the Behind the Claw podcast, Aslan don't use bladed weapons because of their dewclaw, and ability to use that. But I could have sworn that I read that their melee weapons, and I suppose ranged weapons, tended to have odd knobby grips to suit their lack of digits. Ergo hand weapon use in addition to dewclaw.

I guess I made a fool of myself in the first story. Oh well.

Thanks! The Vargr are notoriously mercurial, and they either scare easily or love cool stuff all at the same time. They were fun to write for, but I am pretty much done with them.

Back