• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Ship Conversion Expenses

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
The example I know of is the Seeker, which requires Cr 7,590,000 to convert a scout/courier.

The changes itemized appear to be:
  1. removal of two staterooms
  2. conversion of two staterooms to half-sized staterooms (spacer niches or small staterooms)
  3. purchase of a single mining laser (or, pulse laser)
  4. the 4t air/raft is "traded in" for a 4t prospecting buggy, presumably close enough form factor
  5. two 10t ore bays are "formed" from fuel tankage, hull space, and instrumentation
We know the cost of a single laser.

I'm not sure I know the cost of the conversions. Opinions anyone?

The number is taken out of thin air, of course...

CT TCS says 110% of cost for new system installed, no cost for removed systems. Systems must be completely removed and replaced, if touched.

Code:
Four staterooms removed, four small staterooms installed.   MCr 1.1
Pulse Laser, installed.                                     MCr 0.55
Air/raft, enclosed, installed.                              MCr 0.66
Fiddling with cargo and fuel space.                         MCr 0.00 = 0 × 110%
Bridge, removed and reinstalled.                            MCr 0.55
-------------------------------------------                 ========
Total:                                                      MCr 2.86

Say MCr 3 with architect's fees?

As I recall it's fifty percent for major systems, and as I recall cutting ships practically in half to get out old engines, and in our case, the spinal mount, removal costs probably do have to be considered.

Yes, drives are 50% extra and can't be increased in size:

CT TCS, p34:
... Refitting involves the complete removal of an old system and the installation of a new one; for instance, if a power plant is refitted, the entire power plant is removed and a new one put in its place. Refitting takes up shipyard capacity equal to the refitting ship's tonnage.
Changes in power plant, maneuver drive, or jump drive are major changes. They cost 1.5 times the amount the new system would cost in a new ship; the time required to install major changes is one fourth the time required to build a new ship (from the construction time table).
Changes in any other ship component are minor changes. They cost 1.1 times the cost of the system in a new ship and take one tenth the time required for new ship construction.
The degree to which a ship may be changed is limited. Power plant, M-drive, J-drive, and spinal mount weapons may not be increased in tonnage. There may be no additional launch facilities built (although they may be removed). Armor and configuration may not be changed. The number and size of weapons bays may not be changed.

The number is taken out of thin air, of course...

CT TCS says 110% of cost for new system installed, no cost for removed systems. Systems must be completely removed and replaced, if touched.

If we double that for non-naval refits then we're in the ballpark of the Seeker.

(But why would non-naval refits be more expensive? Seems wrong.)

Throw in a tune-up of the old Scout drives, and a long term life support system?

The Scout is a bit notorious, might not want to live in it for months without a planetary lay-over?

Honestly, I don't think it would be untoward to say that you can't refit the spinal mount. You can demilitarize it, yank out projector hardware at the back, but anything entailing changing the diameter or length would be problematic.

Honestly, I don't think it would be untoward to say that you can't refit the spinal mount. You can demilitarize it, yank out projector hardware at the back, but anything entailing changing the diameter or length would be problematic.
Under RAW, sure.

My perspective though is that past larger sizes, spinals don’t really have to run through the ship spine and would be more like a barbette.

Plus of course, no one spinal per hull limit. Cause big ships SHOULD be scary.

If we double that for non-naval refits then we're in the ballpark of the Seeker.

(But why would non-naval refits be more expensive? Seems wrong.)
Could be entire hull costs plus naval architect has to be paid for full ship value?

Or they wrote that as a spitball amount before writing TCS?

Someone has to convert them.

I suspect that someone is connected, and buys up all the surplus scouts still somewhat functioning, has them converted in a chop shop, and then resells them at a hefty profit to smalltime prospectors.

The example I know of is the Seeker, which requires Cr 7,590,000 to convert a scout/courier.

The changes itemized appear to be:
  1. removal of two staterooms
  2. conversion of two staterooms to half-sized staterooms (spacer niches or small staterooms)
  3. purchase of a single mining laser (or, pulse laser)
  4. the 4t air/raft is "traded in" for a 4t prospecting buggy, presumably close enough form factor
  5. two 10t ore bays are "formed" from fuel tankage, hull space, and instrumentation
We know the cost of a single laser.

I'm not sure I know the cost of the conversions. Opinions anyone?
Think I have a possibility (or at least a lead) on reverse engineering the cost to convert into a Seeker.

7.59 / 17 = 0.4465 = MCr7.59 is 44.65% of MCr17

- 2 staterooms = -8 tons
- air/raft = -4 tons
- fuel = -10 tons (down to 30 tons)
= -22 tons deletion

+ 4 cabins = +8 tons
+ prospecting buggy = +4 tons
+ mining laser = +1 ton
+ cargo = +10 tons
= +23 tons addition/conversion

22 + 23 = 45

45% of MCr17 = MCr7.65
44% of MCr17 = MCr7.48

45% of MCr16.866 = MCr7.59
44% of MCr17.25 = MCr7.59

This is the closest ... excuse ... that I can get to for computing the Seeker's conversion price.
Calculate the tonnage being modified (delete/add/convert).
Determine the fraction of total ship tonnage being modified.
Apply that fraction to the ship's cost/value ... there's your modification price.
Ignore the costs of the actual components being converted/retrofitted (staterooms and fuel are CHEAP!).

It's by no means a "perfect answer" to compute things this way, but it does suspiciously approximate with pretty high fidelity (within a fraction of a MCr even!) what got published in LBB S7 for the Seeker.

= 22 tons deletion

= 23 tons addition/conversion

22 + 23 = 45

45% of MCr17 = MCr7.65
44% of MCr17 = MCr7.48

45% of MCr16.866 = MCr7.59
44% of MCr17.25 = MCr7.59

Calculate the tonnage being modified (delete/add/convert).
Determine the fraction of total ship tonnage being modified.
Apply that fraction to the ship's cost/value ... there's your modification price.

I really like that.

Back