• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Sidekicks in Traveller?

- In games (ex. MgT, Clement Sector and such) that have life events (allies, contacts and such) trade in 2 or more beneficial contact/allies for one sidekick. Develop a joint backstory why they are together.
- Games that sorta, kind of turned SRD3.0/3.5 FEATS into "Special Training Techniques and Benefits" like MgT1e Judge Dread snd Strontium Dog or Cepheus Engine superhero and fantasy versions. Spend X points to have sidekick instead of another super power, skill level, or alien trait.

Said sidekick may be created bY any manner approved, but ideally one of the following compared to the main character:
A. Less skill levels than main character OR
B. Less terms if in the same service OR
C. Lower SOC OR
D. Lower combat stats.
Otherwise why isn't the sidekick in charge as the main character.

If characters get xp in some form or another (like TNE), the sidekick can only advance thru xp expenditures from the main characters pool of gained xp.

Last edited:
In games where we have had a "Sidekick" like second character it has been hard not to turn them into either a true second character or worse, a 2D tool to allow extra powers, resources, or skills. In the end, I have just admitted that if we want to do it, the Sidekick is just a second character with the role of support to the primary character. :)

So D&D 5e has a Sidekicks add-on here:

https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_Sidekicks.pdf

I think this is a great idea, but how would you set up some Sidekicks for Traveller?

I'm thinking these could work. But any others?
  • 'Bot
  • Co-Pilot
  • Ship's Pet
  • Secret Lover (for Mature Players only) - or not-so-secret Lover
And how do you see those being fleshed out?
I was surprised to find it a free download, but I will look it over. I do have a couple of characters with side kicks, so to speak in a couple of stories.

One is a big black and white tomcat, about 35 pounds, named Tuxedo for obvious reasons. He shares a limited form of telepathy with his owner, a bit like some of the characters in the works of Andre Norton. The cat is in a Traveller-related story that I am working on.

The other is a sort of general purpose wizard, not very high level, but possessing a large number of low-level spells. Not quite early D&D, but similar to the magician class there, but with a large number of lower-level spells verses high-level spells.

51cLGkFshWL.jpg

"I'm the hero's sidekick -- Oui, c'est la vie*
" Mirrors" - Caravan Palace
(Nice bit of animation, in addition to a catchy tune. There is a giant steampunk robot in there, so it is kind of sci-fi related...)

But, on topic: yeah, buy your sidekick with a couple of contacts and/or allies from chargen, if your rule set has them.

Sidekick is an NPC as @Nathan Brazil points out. Can't be better than the primary PC, and the referee gets veto power over their actions -- at the very least, they can force morale checks...

Session 0 - players generate at least three character and select their main. They have to say how they know the other two.
Sometimes it makes sense to play one of their other characters.
I also allow players to take control of an NPC if their character is out of action for a session or more.

In their own time they can make as many character as they want, I always can use them as NPCs.

I insist on pet animals, bots and exes generated.

Then during downtime where some players are not in on the main action, they can do a side story with one playing the other’s pet/bot/ex.

I always think of Pancho in Cisco Kid as a typical sidekick though in Traveller, many times it is a robot, and maybe more like a companion from Dr Who. I'd let a player have another character, an NPC to run. Indeed I have let players fill out crew on a ship that way as well. Maybe a sidekick could be younger, like Robin to Batman.

This thread has reminded me that a sidekick does not need to be "weaker" than the primary character. For me, the side kick just is not the primary focus of the story. They are support. You could have a strong warrior who is the bodyguard and side kick to the scientist for example. It is not the weakness that defines the sidekick.

There are so many different reasons for the existence of sidekicks and their roles with the MC.

Lets look at Han Solo and Chewbacca. Han rescued Chewbacca from slavery, causing a life debt to be formed between Chewy and Han. Chewy is now Hans sidekick through the life debt. But he is also Hans best friend, co-pilot & chief engineer, bodyguard with an attitude, smuggling partner, connection to other Wookies, just to mention a few.

When Luke travels by x-wing he has R2D2 as a sidekick. R2 is a great astrogator and mechanic, good with electronics and can make a computer spill all it's secrets. Luke hasn't wiped R2's memory, which is one of the reasons R2 is so loyal to Luke. He also thinks fast on his wheels when things are going from bad to worse, which has gotten Luke out of many dicey situations.

Depending on the situation and who he is with, C3PO is the sidekick for R2D2 or Princess Leia. C3PO can talk your ear off in a million+ different languages and prefers to find nonviolent solutions to problems. C3PO may come across as a metal comedian that's always in the way or has too much to say, but he's usually willing to help 'his' MC's to the best of his abilities... especially when his 'existence' is on the line.

There are many other types of sidekicks from other sources, but I'd be writing for a very long time.

Back