• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Smoking in Canon?

Oxygen rich environment.
Spacer's figured out the problem with THAT idea after the first lethal fire accident.
I would expect a "standard" 78/21 mix of N2/O2 to be the enclosed life support "shirtsleeves" standard atmosphere for Humaniti, if only to reduce the risks of uncontrolled fires aboard craft.
100% O2 is just begging for disaster to strike hot, hard and FAST.

And above TL-7, they're probably not using hypergolic oxidizers with propellants either. Dioxygen Difluroide isn't known as "FOOF" merely because that's how the molecule is laid out... and it's not the worst of them.

One that didn't get used: ClF3 (Chlorine Trifluoride) (Wikipedia).

Chlorine trifluoride has been investigated as a high-performance storable oxidizer in rocket propellant systems. Handling concerns, however, severely limit its use. John Drury Clark summarized the difficulties:

It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water—with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals—steel, copper, aluminum, etc.—because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride that protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.[17]​

The discovery of chlorine pentafluoride rendered ClF3 obsolete as a potential rocket fuel oxidizer, but was equally or even more hazardous to manufacture, store and use. Neither compound has been used in any official rocket propulsion system.

Last edited:
I wonder if that's why all those Scout ships have filtration problems?

chuck
So, long ago, there's this Scout. He gets assigned a ship with a really bad air filtration system. Writes it up a couple of times to get it fixed, but each time it comes back with "Could Not Duplicate Fault. No maintenance required."

Figuring that at least it'd cover up the smell, he buys a few boxes of rather pungent Astro-Cuban cigars. They're an acquired taste, but pretty good. Then there's the VIP transport mission, where the cigar smoke revolts the VIP, who demands that the Scout stop smoking those [expletive deleted] cigars and that he get the ship cleaned at once. Ship goes back in for maintenance.

They replace the air filters. Still smells like cigar smoke.

They replace the bed linens. No dice, still smells like cigars.

They replace all of the upholstery and repaint the interior. Close, but no: Cigars.

In desperation, they strip out the air recycler and rebuild it, then dock the Scout's pay for all the work. He rails against the unfairness of it, but it is his fault, so...

Next mission, he gets to orbit, goes to the airlock, and throws the last few cigars into space. Keeps the box, and grins.

He'd forced them replace the air recycler.

Oxygen rich environment.

As I vaguely recall, the point of smoking a cigarette, besides trying to look mature, having something in your hand, looking preoccupied, and/or cool, was that hit when the smoke filled your lungs, which I guess a nicotine patch cannot convey.

So vaping may well substitute a lit cigarette.
Nicotine gum gives a very similar "hit"... so, in fact, does the patch. (I tried both when trying to quit. Neither helped. Both just sustained the addiction. Plus, I was allergic to the glue on the patches. When I did quit, it was cold turkey... last smoke was 17 Mar 2008, 6PM)

Summer holidays after I graduated high school; it was an interesting experience, and I certainly didn't manage to exude that James Dean vibe.

Also, notebook, cell phone, pen nowadays would fill that empty feeling.

Now, going involuntarily cold turkey on caffeine made me really miserable for day.

Summer holidays after I graduated high school; it was an interesting experience, and I certainly didn't manage to exude that James Dean vibe.

Also, notebook, cell phone, pen nowadays would fill that empty feeling.

Now, going involuntarily cold turkey on caffeine made me really miserable for day.
We make coffee the Old Fashioned Way: We Urn It.

Yeah, that has an odor of its own too.

Not sure about in the game. But I remember everyone around the table lighting up cigarettes, cigars, and pipes. By the end of the night there would be a haze in the room. God, where we dumb! I quit 35 years ago but I know it would only take one cigarette to get me hooked again.o_O

Not sure about in the game. But I remember everyone around the table lighting up cigarettes, cigars, and pipes. By the end of the night there would be a haze in the room. God, where we dumb! I quit 35 years ago but I know it would only take one cigarette to get me hooked again.o_O
You know that’s why I quit smoking seven or eight times. It’s the smell, smokers walk past me and the smell tickles that chunk of my brain.

I was using a lot of instant coffee, all day long; I've switched to Dolce Gusto, in the meantime.

And Coke.

The thing about soft drinks is, I find diet versions disgusting, while Coke, and in a pinch Pepsi, is palatable.

I think ever since Romulan Ale, there's been scope for narcotics.
I've never included it in an adventure, but I would think in the same way that people spurn big pharma and look for herbal alternatives and medicines, the galaxy would be abundant with people trading herbs and spices, while also we would see charlatans and "doctors" moving from system to system, peddling "miracle" herbs and spices. Can imagine law enforcement or bereaved families hot on their heels.

Think as discussed, various forms, heated, patch, lozenges and good old cigars but also different side-effects on different races and species, plus also depending on what type of world or planet you were born and developed on.

Has anyone read Iceworld- by Hal Clement? It has to do with interstellar drug (Tobacco) dealing. It's a good read like all of his stuff.

If there are humans, there will be vices. If they are allowed, they will be indulged, with people making a small profit and taking no risks selling them. If they are not allowed, they will be indulged in dark corners at higher cost, with people making a large profit and taking a great risk selling them.

The thing about necessities, it's either you make them as easily accessible (specifically in cost, or at least in affordability) as possible, or you leverage the maximum profit from them, by establishing a Royal Monopoly, or outsourcing it and taxing at the source, or point of sale.

Back