• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Stellar Reaches Art Contest: The Chamax...

Flynn

SOC-14 1K
Good Morning, All:

As many of you may know, I am running some MGT events at Gen Con Indianapolis this year. One of them is entitled "Return of the Chamax", an homage to the Chamax double adventure from Classic Traveller. As part of that adventure, I would like to create an in-character handout on the Chamax. I would love it if I could include a picture of the Chamax, in either warrior or maternal form, as part of that handout.

With that in mind, I'd like to start a art contest for this iconic Traveller creature. The goal of this art contest: To create an image of a Chamax, in either warrior or maternal form. It can be a drawing, a computer-rendered image, a photoshopped creation using real images, or what have you. I will choose the one most appropriate for a Top Secret dossier, and use it in the Gen Con handout. The handout will also be released online as part of a Stellar Reaches issue (which will also include the adventure "Return of the Chamax"). As always, you retain the copyrights to your images, and I only seek permission to include it in the handout and in the Stellar Reaches issue that will contain the adventure.

This image must be submitted to me via email by Noon CST on June 19, 2008, to be considered. (That's one month from the posting of this contest.) My email addy is: <jason.flynn.kemp ~AT~ gmail.com>. If you want to share your work online, I'm cool with that, and I'm sure that other Traveller fans would enjoy seeing it. However, if you want to keep it private, you can do that, too.

Runner-up images will also be considered for Stellar Reaches publication, with the explicit written permission of the submitter. It's a good way to get your name out there, if you're interested, and it's a lot of fun. Consider the fact that the last art contest I ran for Stellar Reaches only drew in three entries, and I imagine your odds are pretty good that you'll get selected.

Thank you for your time and interest, and I look forward to seeing your version of the Chamax!

With Regards,
Flynn

BTW, while a good description of the Chamax can be found in the Classic Traveller Double Adventure "Chamax Plague/Horde", essentially picture them as ten-legged giant arachnids with antennae, IIRC. Should anyone wish to post a better description here, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey Flynn,

I've got a 'Know Your Foe" handout for Starship Troopers which sounds similar to what you are looking for if you'd like me to shoot you a copy.

Drop me a PM if you want it.

SS

Last edited:
Any chance that the winner could get a life-time's free subscription to 'Stellar Reaches'? ;)

Serious question: Could you explain a little more about the context in which the image will appear. Eg. is it a reconnisance photo or a 'know your foe' diagram like S4 mentioned ... etc.

Last edited:
I want to create an Eyes Only style report, two-column, with the image of the Chamax warrior and/or maternal located in the upper right corner, approximately a sixth to a quarter of the page. This handout will give the PCs all the "in character" knowledge they will have on the bugs, as an introduction for those players that haven't played the published adventures yet.

I'll do the text work. I just need the image. :)

With Regards,
Flynn

I want to create an Eyes Only style report, two-column, with the image of the Chamax warrior and/or maternal located in the upper right corner, approximately a sixth to a quarter of the page.

I'm seeing a top-down view, half with legs extended, the other side more natural. Pencil sketch.

Back