• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5 and the Third Imperium

Nathan Brazil

SOC-14 1K
Baronet
I will buy T5....eventually. As I could not afford it at the time, I have lurked and read other posts. I don't even have a copy yet, but I already have campaign related questions.

I heard tell that T5 is generic campaign-wise. Will there be a book addressing Third Imperium or there a chapter already in the T5 book?

Same question about Second Survey data?

Second Survey data is being compiled and vetted by Don McKinney even as we speak, and Joshua Bell is keeping his Travellermap.com data in sync with those updates.

As for the various milieux. There are short synopses of many of them in the core, but only just barely enough to convey the concepts. As in, three pages, covering ten milieux, out of a list of nineteen milieux. One full page for the 'Terran' branch of history, from the Terran Confederation thru the Third Imperium. Egads.

There will be writeups of them, but I don't know more than that. While there could be a compilation of GDW material about the imperium, brought together and folded into a resource, I just don't know. Things like that might be relatively rules neutral, which is a Good Thing.

Last edited:
Is there a "one sheet" or brief overview of the Third Imperium I can give to new players? Basic knowledge that any citizen would know - what's the Emperor's name, the date system, geographical overview, brief history, etc.

Citizen geekd

There is a rather nice one in the T5 Private Forum as part of the Traveller Writers' Guide, but I don't know if the relevant parts can be cut out and brought out from behind the screen.

There is also one in the Core Rule Book, if you getting one.

There is a rather nice one in the T5 Private Forum as part of the Traveller Writers' Guide, but I don't know if the relevant parts can be cut out and brought out from behind the screen.

Craig, that might be a good document for Marc to put on his T5 page. What do you think?

Hmm... Rob should be aware, although Craig is forgiven for being led astray, but that document is under revision at the moment for another project.

If you can't remember, drop me a note. It will be public at some point, but it needs to be beaten up a bit more.

Is there a "one sheet" or brief overview of the Third Imperium I can give to new players? Basic knowledge that any citizen would know - what's the Emperor's name, the date system, geographical overview, brief history, etc.
Brief overview I made from bits and pieces from the Mongoose Spinward Marches publication. Some in my own words. Some taken straight from the publication:

The Third Imperium is over 1000 years old and is a major power in Charted Space. It rules interstellar space while member worlds typically govern themselves and can do as they please within certain limits.
So long as it upholds certain laws and pays its quota of taxes to the Imperium, a world and its population are entitled to create whatever social system, laws and style of government that they wish. A few activities are not acceptable, such as harboring Imperial felons or allowing slavery.
While the Imperium does not govern its member worlds directly, it does control and defend interstellar space. It regulates interstellar commerce and maintains a powerful fleet to defend the Imperium. Taxes on member worlds and trade between worlds provide the Imperial funds needed for military and other services.

Sorry, I don't have the more specific info you requested. My games are typically based on 3rd Imp concepts but do not use much of the details.

A few years back I made such a handout to introduce a new group to Traveller (using the Mongoose rules). Feel free to use it if you like. It's very bare bones because I think the best way to do these things is a bare-bones handout and then Q&A before and throughout the game.

Traveller is more than thirty years old – it's been through more publishers than most games have editions. It's had more editions than that and more supplements than you could name on a long afternoon.

That's why every other sentence a Trav GM says is starts 'In my Traveller universe'...

Personally, I run things mostly vanilla at the height of the Third Imperium. Almost none of the setting details are in the Mongoose book – which makes sense since that book is a remake of the '77 original and none of this stuff existed when the game was new. Nevertheless, the following is as close to canon as the game has.

In the time of legend 'The Ancients' had a galaxy spanning civilisation of unrivalled power and knowledge. A true type-III civilization.

Around 300'000 years ago, presumably for reasons that made sense at the time, the ancients plucked up some primitive hominids & canids and scattered them around the galaxy.

The Ancients later had a great big fight and wiped themselves out. These days, a few ruins, some ancient technology, and occasionally, something really cool like a ringworld or dyson sphere survive. Fame, knowledge and riches await the crew to discover some artefact or site of Ancient origin.

The Droyne claim to be the Ancients – or at least, their descendants. Ancient architecture seems built for beings like the Droyne, and no-one knows the Droyne's origin, but the evidence is circumstantial at best.

Hundreds of thousands of years later, the Vilani - one strand of Humaniti - invent a Jump Drive and get out into the galaxy on their own. This was about 4'000 years before the 'present day'. They established the First Imperium, a mighty mercantile commonwealth founded on industry and free enterprise. It ran okay for 2'000 or so years. Then another strand of Humaniti discovered Jump technology. The Solomani, from Terra. The Solomani sphere of influence grew until it encountered the First Imperium, which by that time was starting to rot from within due to gerontocracy, decadence and complacency.

The Solomani eventually came to dominate – a period known as the Interstellar Wars - and the Second Imperium was born. Unfortunately - it was at-best, a stopgap thing. The Second Imperium is today known as the 'Ramshackle Empire'. The Solomani had inherited a dying civilisation and hadn't a clue what to do with over 20'000 worlds all demanding a quick-fix.

The Second Imperium failed. One by one, the space-lanes closed. The ships stopped arriving and each world was left to fend for itself. Galactic civilisation entered the Long Night. The light of learning grew dim, technology was lost and on many worlds the people simply did not survive.

In time, some worlds found each other again, and some clusters of worlds found other clusters. It took a long, long time. What emerged from the Long Night is a feudal Third Imperium with a noble cast directly responsible for the smooth running of some part of the Imperium. Each Noble's livelihood, sometimes life is directly tied to his or her estate, so must ensure that it prospers (so the theory goes).

The Third Imperium governs the stars, but not worlds. Imperial law has (almost) no power over the inhabitants and visitors of a planet, but governs those in space and some ground-based starports, which are legally not part of a planet. Each world is its own sovereign entity, governed as her people see fit and the Imperium seldom interferes.

Seldom. Each galactic sector is ruled by a Duke, who divides his realm amongst the sub sector amongst vassal nobles, who themselves are superior to minor barons and landlords. All of these tiers of nobility, even up to the Emperor himself depend upon the taxes generated by trade and any world so foolish as to threaten that trade shall rapidly find herself facing the armies of the Third Imperium.

Beyond that, misusing weapons of mass destruction, massive abuses of sophont rights and any sign at all of harbouring Psions may provoke the Imperium's wrath. These things generally depend upon the sensitivity and proactiveness of the governing noble, not to mention the size of her army.

The present year is 1105 of the Third Imperium - during the glorious (ahem) reign of His Majesty Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi - 43rd emperor.

There was more after that concerning my own Subsectors, but that's not needed here.

This introduction on the Freelance Traveller site is a pretty good start, at least for background history. It doesn't touch much on the other aliens and powers, though:

http://www.freelancetraveller.com/features/advents/ttaintro/travintro.html

What was that written for, S4? It says "Introduction to The Traveller Adventure", but it wasn't actually in that book, was it?

It is a super tidy and informative summary though!

What was that written for, S4? It says "Introduction to The Traveller Adventure", but it wasn't actually in that book, was it?

It is a super tidy and informative summary though!

I wrote it for my players, some of whom were new to Traveller, when I ran the Traveller adventure. There's a few more things I wrote for that campaign on Freelance Traveller.

Glad you're getting some use out of it!

Back