• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Teenagers exposed to Classic Traveller for the first time

After Action Report
Teenagers exposed to Classic Traveller for the first time

I used Book 1, 2 and 3 – straight rules, no house rules.

For all of them, this is the first sci-fi RPG they have played.

The setting/scenario:
It was a “one-shot” designed to be played in one sitting.

I took inspiration from Traveller - DA 03 - Death Station though I didn’t run that. It was really an “Alien” encounter (per the Alien movie franchise).

I used a space station (this one here).

The concept:
Players end up on a planet "out in the middle of nowhere" and are hired to investigate why a space station has gone dark. Turns out the station has Xenomorphs on it and the player will either die or fight their way out.

The critters:
The station has Xenomorphs on it, total of 4, in variant stages of evolution. The stats are below:
Scientist #1 EFD488 no armor, teeth attack 3D
Scientist #2 DAA7B9 Mesh armor, teeth attack 3D
Engineer FGC667 Cloth armor, stinger attack 4D
Navigator GGG768 combat armor, thresher attack 6D

The Players:
my 16 year old son
his 16 year old GF
two of their friends, both 16 years old.

How the play went:
First we rolled up characters.

I had them roll 2D for each ability in turn. Then they each rolled an extra 2D and could replace any ability roll with that roll. This actually saved one player from having two abilities with a 2 (instead he only had a single ability).

My son decided he wanted to be a Marine, failed enlisted, and was drafted into the Scouts. After his scout term he tried again to enlist in the Marines and was successful. After a term in the Marines he decided to enlist in the Merchants and was again successful.

His GF rolled a Merchant, failed enlistment and was drafted into scouts, but failed survival. They were all surprised your character could die during character generation. She rolled up a new character and spent 3 terms in the Merchants and made First Officer.

Friend #1 tried to enlist in the Marines, failed, but was drafted into the Marines anyway. He spent two terms in the marines and then one term in the Scouts.

Friend #2 tried to enlist in scouts, was drafted into Marines, spent 1 term and then tried again to enlist in the scouts and ended up surviving 2 terms in the scouts.

All of them ended after 3 terms, they were all afraid of turning 34 and having to roll or lose ability scores.

They mustered out, Friend #2 rolled a Scout Ship as a benefit. Then they all started spending their Credits on weapons and gear. It old them that this represented what they’ve collected and save during their careers.

Once character generation was finished game play began.

The players ended up on a remote planet after being hired to deliver a locked box. The guy came to pick up the box and pay them and customs agents showed up and took the box and the guy away. The players then went into the E class starport and drowned their lost money.

A business man approached them, pays for the dinner and drinks for the night and says he has a business opportunity. He gives them a business card and says if they're interested come see him, but enjoy the night on him.

They decided to go see him. They find out he’s a member of a corp but needs a trouble shooter team that's outside the corporation. He wants them to investigate a research station that in system but has lost contact. He gives them a memory card and wants them to plug it into the stations computer and then investigate what's happened. He offers to pay them Cr10,000 each for the job. They’re thinking this is “illegal” until I describe to them that “trouble shooter” is like a private investigator. They’re all like “ah, okay”. They take the job. As up front pay the guy fills their ship with fuel.

They see the station is dark and the dock at the open docking bay. They enter and begin checking things out.

My son has an auto rifle (skilled) and a cutlass, Friend #1 has a submachine gun (not skilled), friend #2 has a revolver and a cutlass. GF has an auto pistol and a foil. Friend #1 & GF bought combat armor, my son and friend #2 bought Cloth & Reflec.

They open the door and enter the first hallway. I describe it more like Event Horizon and Alien and Dead Space as much as I can. I try really hard to set the scene with my description. When they open the door they run across a net with dismembered body parts tied to it and this freaks them out.

They enter the hallway. The station has no power and is on emergency power with emergency lights. There is debris piled up against the door that exits this hallway. They try the iris doors but there isn’t power to operate them and they don’t have the tool to do it manually. So Friend #1 goes to move the debris out of the way and open the door.

Scientist #1 was hiding in the debris and attacks him. But he’s wearing combat armor so there is no damage done. I make sure all information is open so the kids can see how you figure your modifiers for combat. My son can’t shoot since I tell him autofire rules means he’ll apply his hit roll to everyone that’s adjacent. Friend #2 runs up and hits Scientist #1 with his cutlass, friend #1 tries to shoot with his submachine gun but misses and bounces the rounds off the heavy door. GF runs up and sticks the xenomorph with her foil.

Next round the xenomorph bites Friend #2 and takes him to 0 strength and he falls unconscious. This is surprising to all of them at how fast someone can drop. My son runs up and the three of them pound on the xenomoprh until it falls unconscious then they kill it once it’s down.

They’re freaked out and retreat back to the ship and learned about how to treat wounded characters. Once they’re ready they move back in. My son had actually bought a halberd (go figure) and his GF carried that instead of her foil.

They opened the door into the 2nd hallway. I described that the emergency lights flashed and created a strobe like effect. There was blood pooled on the deck. They walked in very carefully and then noticed bodies hanging from the ceilings with their chests blown out. This freaked them about and they actually debated leaving the station and saying to hell with it. One of them bought a “hand computer” and I treated it like a modern slate. So they took pictures of everything.

But they persevered and even though freaked out made their way into the Command Module. They turn the power back on and unlock all the doors and start doing their job. They discover a file as the data is downloading and see a file with a note that says “found something valuable”. They also see grease pencil righting with an access code and coordinates. So they take a picture of that as well.

They hear a scream and the sound of tearing metal and get freaked out and want to hurry. But two of them read the file while the other two open the weapon’s locker. In the weapon’s locker they find x2 Laser Rifles, x2 Laser Carbines, x2 shotguns, x4 body pistols. They take them all and Friend #1 and #2 arm themselves with the laser rifles.

They go through the files and realize that there is a research ship out there somewhere, and they “found something” on the airless world below that looks like ruins. They go through pictures and see one that looks like a garden full of giant Faberge Eggs. The pictures show folks in spacesuits take these Faberge Eggs and loading them onto the pinnance to bring back to the station.

Everyone wants to go find them as they think they’ll sell for a hell of a lot of money. But the sound of tearing metal makes them remember they’re scared and they start to leave. They’re saying they want to try and blow up the station, but they have to make it to the power room.

Then the door to the command module is being ripped open and I describe a “wet, glistening metallic like head with crystal white teeth. They shoot at it and Friend #2 rolls boxcars and rolls a pretty good damage and takes it down to 0 on one stat. This didn’t take the xenomorphs to unconscious but it did make it rethink its current course of action.

Their plan is to go to the power room and set the reactor to overload. They open the door to the hallway and see a flash of movement so my son opens fire with is autorifle and fills the room with lead. They move in quickly and start working on the last door. Another Xenomorph rushes out to them. Both laser rifle’s fire. Friend #1 misses, friend #2 hits and rolls pretty damned good. My son opens up and hits pretty good a well and they drop that one. So I tell them “you now here a hissing sound”. They all go “ah shit”. They’re in full freak out and escape mode. They have given up any idea to blow the station and just want to make it back to their ship. So they in full paranoia work their way back, enter their ship and then lock their door. They then check the scout ship three times inside and out before they’re sure nothing is with them and they travel at 2G back to the mainworld.

They make it back and show the guy all the data (except the science ship information as they rightly connected the grease pencil writing to that ship’s location and wanted to keep it secret).

After they get their pay, and a bonus for a “job well done” they go and explore the ship, which is empty, and then just leave the system with it and the scout ship.

The Conclusion
They loved the character generation system. They loved how combat was smooth and fast and “role playable”. They loved the setting. Once I told them that “you can even design your own starships” they said “wow, cool!”

They want me to create a campaign and start running this regularly.

The Conclusion
They loved the character generation system. They loved how combat was smooth and fast and “role playable”. They loved the setting. Once I told them that “you can even design your own starships” they said “wow, cool!”

Lucky you! Nice to have the 16 year old son interested in play with dad and his friends. Great exposure to the perfect game, building family memories and bonds, plus, they only get into the trouble you allow in the game. Win-Win-Win in my book.

Sounds like you all had a great time :)

If they want a campaign I'd go with a few more one off adventures but try to have a recurring theme for them to notice.

Have you got a background in mind?

I had them roll 2D for each ability in turn. Then they each rolled an extra 2D and could replace any ability roll with that roll. This actually saved one player from having two abilities with a 2 (instead he only had a single ability).

Having a "2" in a stat in CT does not indicate a handicap or anything like that. How often does this impact the character?

Not as much as you might think. Usually, it indicates no DM or a penalty DM. But, if you think it through, a character with 222222 stats is quite playable. Just try to keep him from getting hit in combat.

Remember, in CT, it's really skills that have the bigger impact. For many tasks, stats aren't even addressed. For example, Medical skill is needed to get the bonus at bringing people out of cold sleep. No stat is referenced.

I once ran a game where one of the characters had physicals 232. The player turned him into one of the most memorable characters in my Traveller games. The character was a doctor and ship's medic. We just made him a frail-ish, skinny dude. Not a combat person at all--more like Corporal Upman, Jeremy Davies character in Saving Private Ryan.

A character with physical stats 232 (Corporal Upman).

There's a stigma, I think, where players think a "2" in a stat is extreme--that the character needs a wheelchair or something. In CT, this really isn't the case at all. Just look at the penalties associated with that low score. Sure, there are penalties, but they're not as severe as you may be thinking.

Sounds like you all had a great time :)

If they want a campaign I'd go with a few more one off adventures but try to have a recurring theme for them to notice.

Have you got a background in mind?

I do. It’s one I’ll make. They seem to like the idea of a high tech level disparity, and with one of them a die-hard Firefly fan I plan on making that one apparent.

I’ve been running games for my son and his friends for about 2 years now and have learned that these kids aren’t really good sandbox players even though they like the concept of a sandbox. They have to be “guided” without appearing to be guided.

So I use the “five room dungeon” method.

This makes it episodic and yet still has an overarching storyline. It also makes it so that every "adventure" can be completed in a single night.

Having a "2" in a stat in CT does not indicate a handicap or anything like that. How often does this impact the character?

No, it doesn’t, but these kids were coming from having Pathfinder be the only game they played where a score of “3” in an ability meant your character sucked pretty badly. They’ll learn that the ability scores truly don’t matter the more experienced they get with the game.

I once ran a game where one of the characters had physicals 232. The player turned him into one of the most memorable characters in my Traveller games. The character was a doctor and ship's medic. We just made him a frail-ish, skinny dude. Not a combat person at all--more like Corporal Upman, Jeremy Davies character in Saving Private Ryan.

Yep, me too. I had one guy that had an awesome pilot skill but if he was hit with any 2D weapon he’d most likely die. He was one of the major characters in a “star wars like” game I ran waaaay back in the day.

No, it doesn’t, but these kids were coming from having Pathfinder be the only game they played where a score of “3” in an ability meant your character sucked pretty badly. They’ll learn that the ability scores truly don’t matter the more experienced they get with the game.

Yeah, in d20 games, a 3 INT is associated with animal intelligence, I think. I believe I've actually seen it defined like that.

Yep, Classic Traveller is a much different game, mechanically speaking. You might consider pointing that out to them. A "2" in any stat is highly playable. There are examples in 1001 characters, too--finalized characters with "2" stats, even in a physical stat in the military. Remind them of Corporal Upland.

It is the lowest roll possible so from a role playing perspective it does make you one of the most "handicapped" individuals around.

But not if you look at the implications. In a d20 game, having a 3 in a stat nets you a -4 penalty to all of your skill throws using that sat as governor. But, the same is not true in CT. As I showed above, the 5+ roll for the Stat 2 character is the same as for the Stat 15 character, if neither has Medical-2 or better.

If attempting to regain control in Zero-G, there is no penalty for DEX 2. You just don't get the +2 bonus for DEX 9+ or the +4 bonus for DEX 11+. DEX 2 has the same effect as DEX 8 (which is above average).

How bad will it hurt you in combat?

If using your hands in brawling combat, it's a -2 DM. And, that same DM is applied to someone with STR 5 as it is to someone with STR 2.

If using a shotgun, a DEX 2 nets you a -1 penalty.

My Point: The lowest stat in Classic Traveller*, the 2, is not a huge handicap. The character remains very functional.

*I suppose the lowest stat is really "1", due to aging effects and the like.

Sounds like great fun! By the way, how long did the entire session take to finish? I'm actually thinking about doing this on a similar station with 2-3 levels instead of just one, inspired by the old System Shock computer game from to decades ago... Rogue AI taking over the station, turning a fraction of the crew into cyborgs under her control, several more into mutants, and kills the rest. PCs wake up from low berths and have to figure out how to stay alive and get off the station...

Sounds like great fun! By the way, how long did the entire session take to finish? I'm actually thinking about doing this on a similar station with 2-3 levels instead of just one, inspired by the old System Shock computer game from to decades ago... Rogue AI taking over the station, turning a fraction of the crew into cyborgs under her control, several more into mutants, and kills the rest. PCs wake up from low berths and have to figure out how to stay alive and get off the station...

Including character generation it took about 4 hours.

Sorry, same guy, my phone wasn't using the same account. Apparently my work system was set to use a different account than my home system and my phone. Just fixed it so all three use the same account so I don't appear to have multiple personalities :)

Sounds like a great introduction. I managed to get my son (now 15) into Ad&D a few years back asnd was all set to introduce him to Traveller too.....but, he lives with his mum (she and I are divorced) and I don't see anywhere near as much of him as I'd like!!

Still, keeping my Traveller stuff for a rainy day in the future!!!

There's a stigma, I think, where players think a "2" in a stat is extreme--that the character needs a wheelchair or something. In CT, this really isn't the case at all. Just look at the penalties associated with that low score. Sure, there are penalties, but they're not as severe as you may be thinking.

A 2 strength can be pretty crappy. Not only does that drop one's hit points way down, but it drastically limits one's ability to carry things.

As for the original post...
"The Players:
my 16 year old son
his 16 year old GF
two of their friends, both 16 years old."

That's awesome! Congratulations!
My two kids will game with me, but they are hesitant when it comes to Traveller. Why? I don't know.

The Conclusion

Great, reminded me of my first traveller session losing 2 characters and absolutely terrified of turning 34...

Thanks for posting

Regards

David

A 2 strength can be pretty crappy. Not only does that drop one's hit points way down, but it drastically limits one's ability to carry things.

Yes, it's a low score. But, my point was that a "2" doesn't mean that the character is crippled or anything like that. He's healthy. There's nothing wrong with him. He's just not a strong guy. He's a slight build, probably short, and probably strong in other areas.

Yes, it's a low score. But, my point was that a "2" doesn't mean that the character is crippled or anything like that. He's healthy. There's nothing wrong with him. He's just not a strong guy. He's a slight build, probably short, and probably strong in other areas.

Slight build? His max carry load isn't enough to carry a 1-month old infant. He's got roughly the strength of a 6-year old. He's a liability in any fight, can't fight worth anything hand-to-hand and can't shoot anything heavier than a handgun with any decent chance of hitting. He's the sage that you bring along for the knowledge but who you struggle to protect during the fighting.

Traveller's the most forgiving game I've ever seen for character scores, but 2 is definitely a trial.

Actually, it pretty well DOES mean that he's crippled. May still be HEALTHY, but he's definitely also physically disabled to a great degree. He can't even use a dagger effectively. (That requires a 4+, and the penalty is shown as DM-2 on TTB 44.) He can't carry a military load (he's reduced to Str 0 by >4 KG - 11 pounds, not counting clothing). He can't carry a bag with CT Bks 1-8, sups 1-12, and adventures 0-13. Yep, he can't carry a complete set of Traveller.

My grandmother, while dying of cancer, could still walk with a gallon of milk in and a big plate of cookies. A Str 2 character cannot.

Back