• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Gateway: Lords of Thunder Wars, or the Vegetarian Conquests

5b493bf6f9fa3f775312a05935260768
Mmmmm Roast of K'kree with mushrooms and cherries? Or am I totally missing a joke here?

Speaking of animal products, what about civet coffee?

Or is that value added?

I'll see your Civet and raise you a tree of Moroccan Goats

gettyimages-150821517.jpg

Argan nuts pass through the digestive system of a tree goat whole. Once they are excreted, people gather them from the goat's droppings and crack them open to expose the seeds inside.

Argan nuts contain anywhere from one to three oil-rich kernels. These kernels are then roasted, ground, mashed or cold-pressed to produce argan oil, one of the most highly sought after culinary and cosmetic liquids in the world.

"Has anyone written about the Gateway Quadrant after the Solomani War 1002-1105? I’m retconning the sector for a 1004 (GA -101 years) campaign, because I really enjoy the Quicklink material. Looking at the travellermap.com, the expansionist-genocidal-vegetarian K’Kree conquered more than two subsectors (most of Hammond and parts of Kukaxtooa, Renkard, Linder) between 990 and 1105. Surely this caught the attention of the Imperium (and Solomani and Hivers). I think a lot of former Solomani War combatants might have found tickets at the edge of the Gateway Sector, fighting the unrelenting onslaught of the K’Kree. To the extent that former enemies might have fought side by side against the Centaur invasions for the sake of Humaniti. I’m going to throw some ideas out , and any input is welcome."
Once upon a time... this was intended to be a serious thread, that was hijacked by the likes of myself. sigh.

Once upon a time... this was intended to be a serious thread, that was hijacked by the likes of myself. sigh.
I've been following this Thread, and I feel that your Posts have been balanced between Serious and Hilarious.

I wonder if the former enemies working together against the threatening K'Kree expansion isn't an artifact of Hiver interest in the unwelcome expansion of said K'Kree threat. The time frame of the campaign you mentioned would require former enemies overcoming some formidable animosities towards each other before working together against a common threat. They might even be getting help/support from the Hivers through intermediaries to work together...

I've been following this Thread, and I feel that your Posts have been balanced between Serious and Hilarious.

I wonder if the former enemies working together against the threatening K'Kree expansion isn't an artifact of Hiver interest in the unwelcome expansion of said K'Kree threat. The time frame of the campaign you mentioned would require former enemies overcoming some formidable animosities towards each other before working together against a common threat. They might even be getting help/support from the Hivers through intermediaries to work together...
Everyone wants a piece of their electronics superiority, including hPhones and hPads.

Maybe I shouldn't encourage the class clowns, but I tend to be one myself and I can't be serious all of the time...

General Patton wanted to re-mobilize the Wermacht (German Army) in 1945 and create a combined Allied + German offensive against the Soviets. I don't know how much traction that idea had, but it did not come to pass.

Compare the Soviet treat to a war weary Europe against a truly genocidal alien threat from the k'kree, and inject some Hiver master manipulation, and I think that more of Humaniti might rally together against the k'kree. Or they could devolve into Yugoslav partisans who killed more fellow Yugoslavs than they killed occupying Germans by some accounts.

That's the root of my hypothetical musings. Also any movie where a really bad Alien threat makes everyone on earth throw aside their differences for the sake of saving Humanti. In the sequel they would revert to hating other humans.

Everyone on the western half wanted to go home, alive, not start another five year war.

You'd clearly have to propagate propaganda to drum up continued support from the electorate, that they plan to genocide all meat eaters.

Though that does bring up the issue of insect eaters and cultured meat.

Everyone on the western half wanted to go home, alive, not start another five year war.

You'd clearly have to propagate propaganda to drum up continued support from the electorate, that they plan to genocide all meat eaters.

Though that does bring up the issue of insect eaters and cultured meat.
Agreed on both points, but consider that an interstellar war does not impact each subsector equally. Where all of Europe was tired of war, after the Solomani War you would probably have many units that had been mobilized but not yet reached the front lines, and other units that may have engaged in limited combat, especially along the periphery of the conflict. Demobilization in Traveller seems to produce mercenaries.

Queue the Propaganda -AND- Hiver Manipulation

I have the DGP module on this, and it is a of course a William H. Keith masterwork. Really good stuff. It would make an excellent setting for those who think Classic Traveller is a little stale.

Back